Reviews for A New Beginning
what a wonderful story. never thought i'd find a story like this here in FF. glad i made a change of pace and started reading other fics aside from anime ones.
vic.zam9 chapter 19 . 2/18
Amazing story. Very well written. I always wondered about Chuck and his decision at the crossroads. An excellent sequel.

Your story is wonderful. Thank you.
faithovercomes13 chapter 19 . 11/1/2013
This was really good and I read it one evening...I would be up for a revisit, most definitely!
JudgeTenderlyofMe chapter 19 . 10/24/2012
Awwwwwww! That was a very cute little Christmas scene. :) Absolutely lovely. Hmmm, that is a wonderful Christmas idea, but perhaps one that is best kept for a very special Christmas. Then again a gift like that would make the holiday a special one wouldn't it? Well anyway, wonderful story/scene. I'm almost sad that it's over. And I know that it must be really random to have reviews now from something that was posted such a long time ago, but I hope you don't mind. :)
JudgeTenderlyofMe chapter 18 . 10/24/2012
Okay, so I read this all at once, well over the course of two days actually, but I happened to love it! I thought that it was written very well and the Wilson voice was clever, but I will say predictable. But I think that that's exactly what someone in that situation would have had happen to them. They would have continued to hear that voice, but I'm not so sure he would have needed someone to explain to him what Wilson truly was; his conscious. I like how you developed Tina's character, but I feel like there were a lot of unanswered questions about her mom. However, I like how you gave us her background slowly and that some of the details were left vague because in real life you generally don't know every last little thing. I wish her brother had played a larger role rather than just a small "cameo". It felt random to me. I loved the story line, and actually I've always wanted to write my own "after story" because I've always felt like he would have done exactly what you had him do and follow her to her house. I liked the way the plot developed but that the whole Kelly thing was predictable, yet completely plausible and I feel like you wrote that very well, and the fact that you gave us her making the decision to go was a nice touch although at first seemed random. I'm glad that you didn't give us a cheesey "love scene". We've all read and seen enough of those. Lol. Although I would say I'm a hopeless romantic, and for only being 16 I've got some time to figure things out I can't help but enjoy chick flicks. Lol. But yes I just watched the movie again the other day and then decided to look up fanfiction for it and found your story. Which I quite enjoyed. I wish the ending had been drawn out a little more. It felt kind of strung along until you were like "oh write an ending, okay let's go with that." I mean I liked it, and it was written well, I just feel like there was so much more you could have done with it and you passed on that oppurtunity. Oh well, lovely story. Thank you for writing it. I really enjoyed it.
Lots of love!
-Ashlee
Kai-2010 chapter 4 . 10/29/2011
I just started reading this fanfic, and I really like it so far. I was happy to find a fanfic that was somewhat was my idea for a fanfic of my own (my first). I was thinking about Chuck, and how empty his life was after leaving the island, and I thought that Chuck needed to find a woman. So, I just wanted to tell you that this story is my inspiration to write a fanfic of my own. I decided that my fic will be a crossover with my favorite TV show, NCIS, and have Chuck move to Washington DC where he struggles with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that from what I read so far, you have a wonderful story, and I will definitely review again once I finish.
Susan chapter 19 . 3/23/2011
Thank you for this post, I just ran across it looking for an answer to the movie "Cast Away" after watching it again on 3/22/11.

I wanted to know how the "Angle wings" had saved Chuck or to have a better explanation than the movie. I really like the explanation that I found here.

Just by watching the movie again I had so many unanswered questions waiting to be answered. Most were answered here, except about the ring he gave Kelly. What happened to the ring? Did she open the box?

When Chuck left Kelly near the end, we all know there was unfinished business. This answers that well, at least it was not just blown off.

Thanks, Susan
Rye-bread chapter 18 . 3/22/2011
Tina and her tongue. She’s going to make one salty old lady in her latter years.

I remember our first’s birth. The anesthesiologist was mom’s best friend after administering the epidural.

One glance of the “f$#&!" following your disclaimer, and I chuckled aloud.

You pulled a Gump And Co., like the sequel to Forrest Gump, where, in an intersection of cinematic, literary, and real life, the character played by the actor meets the actor who plays the character in the movie based on the character‘s life…uh…yeah…right…clear as fog and plain as mud…I’m gonna quit now.

Actually, this would make a most vivid tale; a family legend. A hero betrothed to a lady fair is tragically lost at sea and given up for dead. He’s marooned; alone on an uninhabited island. Another lady fair, the heroine, is deserted by her wretch of a husband. Our hero despairs of life, but the heroine sends him a missive, with a token of her favor; the crest of her house, as it were; the angel’s wings, a sign of redemption.

Or perhaps it could be said that her desperate plea to her husband never arrived to the hand of the one for whom it was intended. Or, having received it, he rejected it out of hand. And so the visible expression of her yearning did not come to the one for whom it was meant, but to the one for whom it was destined.

Our hero fashions clothing, shelter, and tools from the flotsam of his wreck. He learns how to kindle fire, paint, and mark the passage of the seasons. He learns to read the weather. He even raises up a companion for himself from article of sporting goods.

They both wait patiently, for what, they don’t know. Both are lonely and unconsoled. But like an account from the Arabian Nights or a fairy tale, she, by her prayers, sends him a sail. He paints on it her family crest, the wings. He builds a ship and waits for favorable winds.

Thus heartened, he and his companion venture forth on trackless seas. Tragedy strikes again. In a storm, he loses both the sail and his last companion. But the whales guide him back to the world of men. He is rescued.

And he repays a debt. Her multiple gift of missive, sail, and prayer has delivered him. And he delivers her. And in saving each other, both save themselves. The bread has been cast upon the water, as the Good Book says, and after many days it has returned.

And it is a story their children and children’s children will retell; how a man who for four years listened to no one’s voice but his own, and talked to a volleyball, took for wife a woman of surpassing resplendent beauty and gracious soul, but who could speak as coarsely as any sailor in port or on the high seas.

And that, oh readers of Kelsismom’s story, is how you end a movie.
Rye-bread chapter 17 . 3/22/2011
I consider it a good sign when cats stake a person out for sleeping area. They’re persnickety creatures. For them to lay claim to you means you pass some kind of muster.

Cattail on the face; been there. It’s tolerable. I’m a cat person.

That was very decent of Kelly to relinquish Chuck…and to send Tina the letter.

My take on Chuck’s copping a ‘tude:

Chuck could feel the anger inside himself beginning to rise. He was starting to wonder if he knew this woman at all. It sounded as though she was mocking him. "It's just that what, Tina?" he asked her coldly.

She was taken aback by the sudden change in his tone. Intuitively she knew that if she didn't approach this just the right way that she could lose him. Taking her hand in his, she told him, "Let's just calm down, Chuck."

If there’s one sadder-but-wiser life lesson I’ve learned, it’s this: fragile self-esteem and defensive attitudes can deep-six a tender moment, and even derail a relationship as surely as unfaithfulness or abuse. Is that just? No. Does it happen? Oh, yeah.
Rye-bread chapter 16 . 3/22/2011
Kelsismom…you shameless manipulative purveyor of emotion, you. If this were a show, the chicks would be bawling and the guys would have to dab their eyes and try to maintain shred of manly behavior. It would be like the final episode of Friends where Rachel and Ross finally end up back together.

Actually, you underplayed it, with the:

“Standing there with her arms folded, she was not impressed. She was a mess. Her hair hadn't been combed, her clothes were disheveled, and her eyes were puffy. Tina's face wore a smirk.”

I would’ve portrayed the scene like her leaping into his arms and knocking him off his feet, and telling him, “Hopalong, don’t you dare leave me. You even try, and I’ll rope and brand you.”

But, hey, that’s me…and you’re the one with 400-plus reviews for some of your fic’s. So your judgment has to have more weight.
Rye-bread chapter 15 . 3/22/2011
Something that should’ve been said:

Chuck: “The night before I started out for Texas to return your package, I stopped to see Kelly. She returned the car to me. It was ‘our’ car. She had kept it the whole time I was away. She almost left with me; she ran after me for a whole block in the pouring rain; but I told her to go back. She had a husband and child.

“I went to see Stan. He sat up with me for hours. It tore the heart out of me to leave her. She was in my heart the whole time I was on that island. I had to and settle tings with her. She came to settle things with me. I owe her this. Please be patient.

Tina: “And what about me? How do I know you’ll be back? How do I know you’re not just one more Dick?”

Chuck: “I held onto your package as hard as I held onto Kelly. Your package and your wings led me to you. I’ll be back.”

Bad move, not coming back, even late.

A friend once said, if it’s meant to happen, it will. I’m sure, God’s perfect foreknowledge, everything that’s supposed to occur, will occur. But I wonder if we don’t cast away perfectly good opportunities with both hands, because of some slight inconvenience or silly pride. It’s two minutes past the cutoff, so the other person is sh*t outa luck. Colleges and corporations may operate that way. They’re supposed to be faceless and bureaucratic. But operating personal relationships on that principle sucks rocks.
Rye-bread chapter 14 . 3/22/2011
Reviewing my reviewer’s notes while watching the flick and reading your story all at the same time. (Hey; doing a serious study of a noteworthy literary work is not for dilettantes. I’m going for erudition here. Your story rates nothing but the best scholarship and most intense analysis.)

Some things I had meant to include. “the gracile beauty” from chpt 8. What an evocative phrase. Like “stunning” with class.

The opening of the package in chpt 9 is almost anticlimactic. Of course, Tina might’ve been nodding off by the time the wood actually ignited.

(“Chuck!“ she said wearily. “You didn’t tell me it took you THIS long!”

“You didn’t ask!” came the rejoinder.)

I’m not surprised Kelly did what she did. It’s sort of a basic human possessiveness that as badly as a breakup hurts, the real pain…or the flashback of the pain…occurs when the ex actually finds someone new. At that time, the irrevocability of the breakup is confirmed. It’s set in stone. It’s seller’s regret. One could see feelings of being double talked when Chuck came to see her. She confessed that she had been talked unwillingly into marrying Jerry.

Jerry tried to ‘manage’ things when he told Chuck she couldn’t go through the planned reunion at the Fed Ex ‘Welcoming Back’ ceremony; which wasn’t quite the truth. She was quite willing to see Chuck. Jerry had to do some swift talking to dissuade her; as witnessed by Chuck through the window. So it’s kind of karmic that Jerry saw Kelly talking to Chuck through the window. (Although I wondered during the movie if Kelly wouldn’t wake people up by shouting Chuck’s name as he was pulling away from her house.)

Kelly is going to try the same thing with Chuck that Tina tried with Dick; showing her written thoughts and feelings, hoping to win back her man’s heart. (I suppose that’s a rather apparent observation.) But Chuck is a man of principle, whereas Dick was…not a man of principle.

If Kelly had met Jerry as Chuck met Tina or Stan met Eileen; seeking for solace instead of swayed by well-meaning friends who felt she should ‘move on’, there might not be this frag grenade situation.
Rye-bread chapter 13 . 3/9/2011
Jeez Louise. This is an absolute mess. The overprotective brother shows up, appears all friendly, and then offhandedly delivers this chilling threat. Coolio. Was he as equally steely-eyed with his lowlife former brother-in-law and ‘best friend’?

And Kelly left Jerry. And Jerry wrote Kelly off. Life just won’t let Tina and Chuck be, will it?
Rye-bread chapter 12 . 3/9/2011
Well worth noting that Tina still has her issues with her ex and the smear campaign he did to her with the townsfolk; even as chuck had his issues with Wilson.

One could say that in a certain respect, he fared better Chuck fared better than she did. He had a ‘friend’. She was all alone, marooned in a sea of hostility.

And it speaks well of both of them that they don’t cop a ‘tude with the people of Shamrock; like in the old song Harper Valley PTA. Their attitude change sort of suggests hypocrisy. I hope I don’t sound too harsh. Of course, vindictive emotions would utterly spoil the mood of this wonderful story.

Kelly; I always thought the excrement would hit the fan from her husband preventing her from seeing Chuck. She would lash out in resentment for Jerry trying to ‘control’ her.
Rye-bread chapter 11 . 3/9/2011
Stupid Volleyball; the chpt title is such a giveaway.

A new ride with options; quintessentially American. Even people committed to living simply geek out sometimes. And that’s okay.

I think of the expression, “You really clean up nice.” Even somebody who’s a wreck (which Tina isn’t) can have powerful allure in some fancy goin-to-town clothes.

Did I really mean what I said in the last chpt review about (not) jumping the gun? I’m so conflicted.

It had to come out; the thing with Wilson. It’s what helped him survive. People go stir-crazy in isolation. Loneliness is a variation of hell.