Reviews for The Wise and the Lovely
shimotsuki11 chapter 1 . 12/28/2014
This is absolutely, heart-breakingly beautiful. The language is delicate and vivid and echoes the poetry that it's quoting, and the emotions are so, so real.
hiddenhibernian chapter 1 . 1/15/2013
That almost made me cry; I was a bit hesitant when you introduced it by saying that you worked so long on it (one never knows how people approach their writing!) but it was beautifully executed, the way you weaved the poetry into the story. The way you have honed your sentences so there's nothing extraneous to them really shines through and makes the story stand out.

I especially liked the sentence below:
"Albus Dumbledore was not the sort of man who died."
It's so well put!
MuggleCreator chapter 1 . 10/1/2012
Awwwwwwww! So great!
shallowness chapter 1 . 9/2/2012
Really, really good - this fic isn't influenced by poetry so much as, well, a prose-poem. You expressed Tonks's emotional state beautifully, while the use of (repressed?) memories coming back and the moments when the clumsy Tonks of the pink hair - normalcy - came back added contrast and ballast.
Tince chapter 1 . 5/29/2012
It feels like all the air's been sucked out of my lungs after reading that - so magnificently, achingly - incandescently - beautiful.

My goodness, this had me choked up: "She liked how his words complimented hers: quiet, putting spaces between her effervescent ramblings."

So, so, so lovely - all of it.
Kitten Kisses chapter 1 . 3/11/2012
Uhm. Two things.

First, I came very close to crying while reading this. Now, this could be because a.) it's midnight and I have to get up too early for words, b.) because this was a great story, or c.) all of the above, but also adding in a few other things.

Personally, I vote for C. And this is getting favorite'd. Wow. I'm a huge fan of emotion in fanfiction, because I think it's extremely important to do two things while writing fic: The first is to write the characters in character, because these are the characters your intended audience knows and loves, and the second is to make your audience FEEL.

You have accomplished both of these things.

At the start of the 'fic, I was actually considering abandoning it because I'm a horrible person and I thought, goodness, they got together fast, and meh, what else interesting can happen I haven't read a hundred times already? But I kept going.

I was never a huge fan of poetry, though there are a few pieces I do like- and I used to be a huge fan; I used to write a lot of poetry- including Dogfish, which is lovely, but you picked other great poets that are well-known and well-loved, and this piece of fanfiction was so beautiful and well-sculpted that I feel I'll have to recommend it to everyone I know, whether they're a Tonks/Remus fan or not.

But continuing my review, I love that you paint everything so...realistically. It doesn't feel fake, or silly, and Sirius's death is not glossed over, and Tonks does not forget about him so easily- or at all. She's still thinking about him at the end, after the photographs, and remembering her mother burning out his picture, and all of the other things... She does not forget Sirius, and neither does Remus, and nothing is quite the same without him, which I think a lot of fic authors for the Tonks/Remus pairing tend to forget...either purposefully or on accident, and Sirius is very important to Remus, and almost as much to Tonks if you go the route of them being close throughout Order of the Phoenix, which so many authors do.

Her thoughts swimming with lines of poetry, and the way he keeps coming back to her despite his misgivings, the way he keeps rejecting her, the way she doesn't quite forge on, but the way she holds steady nonetheless... It was all lovely, and it felt real. It explains the way she acts and looks in The Half-Blood Prince so well without being over-the-top, without writing her as a weepy little girl. She's human, and she's still strong and capable, but nothing is right anymore, and one of the last people she's counting on...is now someone she finds she can't count on. Things are very rough for her, and she takes it all as well as she can, and throws herself into her work to not think about anything else at all...which always felt like Tonks to me.

My favorite bit is here, by the way:

[He said, "Yes. I know. Nothing's as it was." He said, "Dora, thank you."

He said, "Dora, I do love you."]

So emotional without actually being...too much. Perfect. Especially that last line, "Dora, I do love you." Like an admission she knows but still wants desperately to hear him say, especially now, when nothing is right anymore.

And the last line, this part: ["The biscuits," she said, pulling away. "I think I've burned them." And then she laughed, ridiculously, and cried again, and he pulled her close, and there was no end to the world.] was just so poignant I couldn't go a full review without quoting it. The way she laughs, and then cries, and then he holds her.

There didn't have to be a desperate lovemaking scene for this to be something special. In fact, I think the fact that there isn't one is what MAKES it special. I think they need time to talk, and to think, and to just...be together, to hold one another. I'm not saying they can't have sex, or shouldn't, but I think the way a lot of authors wrote their reunion scene after her admission in the hospital wing is just not something that jives with my personal feelings on the two of them. There isn't a 'moment' beforehand; they just sleep together.

But this, with the kissing and then that last, almost desperate hug...that feels like something special to me. This story is so...them.

So I wanted to say thank you for writing it, because it absolutely made my night...or morning, depending on how you look at it. You are a very talented writer, and I hope you keep on keeping on. I wish I was not late to the party that this 'fic is, but I figure a late review is better than none at all, and I wanted you to know that, well, even a few years too late, I still really enjoyed the effort you put into this.

So, very sincerely: Thank you.

Cheers,

Manna
NeverQuitDreaming chapter 1 . 8/18/2011
I love this. It was amazing. I loved how you incorporated the poem, I loved the repeating lines, I love how you wrote the characters. It was beautiful.
ClumsyTonks chapter 1 . 7/8/2011
done made me cry...

TillKingdomCome chapter 1 . 3/23/2011
Just wanted to let you know how much I loved this. I was on the verge of tears for most of the story. You definitely did the the poem justice.
antigone chapter 1 . 1/27/2011
Thank you, for putting so much effort into this. It's wonderful and it really made my evening. The thread of poetry as Tonk's anchor and what keeps her fighting was a lovely touch. Just a small nitpick with Remus cowering (not covering) from Greyback. Beautiful piece, I'll check out your other work when I can.
jules chapter 1 . 1/27/2011
this was lovely - so very well written. What i especially loved was the fact that so many of these stories about other characters of the genre still focus on Harry - what they think about him - their interactions with him - and this one only mentions him briefly - your story was entirely meshed around these two and their feelings for each other. Very well done.
OzQueene chapter 1 . 1/26/2011
Oh, my goodness. This is one of the loveliest things I have ever read. It made me ache.

Beautiful, beautiful work.
Jess-siriusly chapter 1 . 12/25/2010
WOW i am totally in love with your story, (and yes,now i am desperately fangirling those poems :D). you are an awesome writer, you really are. a touching read. :'D
Whitetree-Nimloth chapter 1 . 12/19/2010
Heartbreaking. I loved the poetry, and how it mixed with Tonks internal monologue.
Nille815 chapter 1 . 9/18/2010
This was such a wonderful treat to find. Beautifully written and all the poetry was just perfect :)
46 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »