Reviews for The North Wind and the Sun
Triste1 chapter 1 . 10/18/2010
I really liked this. There were parts I didn't quite grasp and parts that just flew over the top of my head, but I still liked it. The fact that you managed to keep Seto in character without having him turn mushy (which is fine in and of itself but somewhat disconcerting at times) was great. The fact that you've given deth to Anzu is pure genius. You pointed out her strengths and, unafraid, you laid bare her flaws. At the same time, you made it such that it wasn't something that worked against her favor, or something endearing-it just is. Like human fallibility and life's unfair endings; sometimes, things just are. The fact that you managed to keep it from dipping into angst or drama or annoying-character syndrome was a bonus. I really, realy dig that.

Keep writing and good luck with future works!
Graphospasm chapter 1 . 8/16/2010
I thought this was more than a little perfect. Loved it, and for your first time shipping this pairing, it was fantastic (though it would have been fantastic had it been your tenth time). Keep up the good work. ]

Graphospasm
browneyes730 chapter 1 . 4/3/2010
i loved it, great job. :D
the Under-Cover Fangirl chapter 1 . 12/3/2008
Effing adore.
Ai Ga Hoshii Dake chapter 1 . 4/23/2008
Very good writing flow, and an expert description of Seto. I'll be sure to look into your other stories. )
Ashes Blue chapter 1 . 12/6/2007
I really like "The North Wind and the Sun," because it reveals Seto and Anzu for who they are; a view of them that isn't presented often enough in fanfiction. You write them plainly-rawly. I really grasp their hate for eachother, but then I pick up on an underlying tenderness. Needless to say, I'm in love with your take on Azureshipping. If you hadn't mentioned that this was your first Seto/Anzu fanfic, I would've taken you for a pro. Really nice work, you're a natural.

Ashes Blue
Angel Of Noctem chapter 1 . 9/2/2006
That's so typical for Seto, to not say 'thank you' I mean. XD

Good fic! :)
Catachresis chapter 1 . 8/13/2006
I normally read your AnzuYugi fics, but I'm a big fan of Kaiba and I couldn't resist.

Again I am floored by your word choice. You don't use the run-of-the-mill words when constructing a scene, you go for the creative synonymns that just add a quirk and homely touch to the descriptions. Your metaphors and similies are excellent as always: "The rest of the time he is like an oyster, or a beach hut in Winter: all bolted, all boarded, and only a few with the right key to unlock him. He is like the bright lips of an old wound – resolutely sealed." Love the wound bit, especially how it just ties into Kaiba's prickly and strict personality.

It's your first time writing AnzuSeto, so the personality bits don't flow into each other as seemlessly as when you write AnzuYugi. You got Seto's ruthlessness, even some of his cruelty, and contrasted it to Anzu's forwardness and pure-girl persona, but I can't help but feeling there's something else that needed to be fleshed out. You made a brief suggestion that maybe Anzu and Kaiba are two sides of the same coin, but it wasn't entirely clear how that came to be. To me, Anzu just noticed Kaiba one day without a reason as to why. Anzu chalked it up to her bad-boy fascination, but that doesn't explain why the affection lingered.

Also, I think you went too far into the metaphysical in the middle of the story. Don't get me wrong; I love the character analysis, but I'd really like some dialogue or maybe some movement within the present scene (which was Anzu and Kaiba eating lunch together) just to break up the cross-examination. After all, the further you dive into the characters heads the farther you have to reel yourself back to return to the present scene.

Great work, Scrib. Looking forward to your next fics!
Tempest2004 chapter 1 . 8/4/2006
That awesome, I especially loved the Darth Vader reference. Kudos on the story. Better than mine!
stubborn-aesthetics chapter 1 . 7/29/2006
I really love your style of writing. The philosophical, moody, pondering style. The kind that you can only achieve at 3AM, as an insomniac.

You also kept Seto and Anzu completely in character, especially Seto, and for that, I thank you. There are too many people out there who try to make him nicer and warmer than he actually is, and he really isn't. He's cold, moody, intelligent, and distant. And it would take a hell of a lot of effort to get close to him, and then some.

The other thing that rather amused me was that you never referred to Anzu by name. This allows rabid Seto fangirls (me) to replace "she" with "me." In any case, it gave her anonymity, even if it was blatantly obvious who "she" really was.

In any case, I'm favoriting this.
MyAibou chapter 1 . 7/27/2006
FFDN is acting up; second try at a review.

I have a really hard time buying Seto and Anzu as a couple, so I struggled a bit more following this one than most of your stories. I suspect that has more to do with me than you, though. I wanted to know a little more of the setting before getting into Seto's head for so long.

The characterizations were dead spot on, especially Seto. He seems like he wouldn't be very self-aware, that he's just an arrogant jerk and that's that, but I suspect he's very aware of how he is and WHY and how it's All. About. Mokuba and you really nailed that. And I can even see how Anzu would intruige him. I suspect she'd be one of the few people on the planet he respects because she doesn't take his crap.
Azurite chapter 1 . 7/23/2006
Seto (or his feelings) compared to a potato and Anzu compared to Darth Vader- you somehow never cease to surprise me, regardless of the setting or style of the story, but there is somehow a distinctiveness that is so "you" that I've come to enjoy from your stories. I looked up the Wikipedia article on this and only now in retrospect can see how the fable relates to the story; otherwise, I saw a momentary flash of the prompt and a generally introspective, if dry and bitter (in a good way. Comparable to beer, maybe?) humor. It's really hard to find GOOD, WELL-WRITTEN Seto and Anzu that has an "adult" flavoring or maturity to it- and I don't mean smut. I just like seeing something subtle, interesting, well-characterized- all of that.

I really hope you had as much fun writing this as I did reading it, because it really made my night after coming back from home on a horrendous flight. So thanks for making my weekend sweeter. The chibi Kaiba figurine atop my computer thanks you, in that glare-type way. :)
Nenya85 chapter 1 . 7/22/2006
Very interesting. The characterizations of both was right on target, and the sense of how the dynamic between them might work.

You really caught Seto very well - unapologetic, almost defiantly who he is. I particularly liked this line: He’s never cared what others thought about him before (except for Mokuba, whose opinion matters more than even his own, when he listens to it).
tectrices chapter 1 . 7/22/2006
Ooh, very interesting!

I like this a lot, and I think you've done an excellent job. I enjoy the subtlty of this, and also the more Kaiba-based perspective.

This may be your first Azureshipping venture, but you rock! (And, as a huge fan of this couple myself, will always encourage you to write more.)

So, good job! I enjoyed this a lot.
Misura chapter 1 . 7/21/2006
I loved reading this - you may never have Azureshipped before (and no, that's probably not a verb) but you definitely have written a wondrouw Anzu before, and added to a complex-yet-convincing idea of why Kaiba would feel attracted to or distracted by Anzu, that made this fic a superb read, which I enjoyed very much. Since I'm rather fond of Kaiba, I sure hope you'll be tempted to write this pairing again some day. -