Reviews for Sacrifice
fiesa chapter 1 . 7/25

A very, very good, short and poignant story - and though I'm really, really sad that Shikamaru has to die at the end you write his encounter with Sasuke brilliantly. There were several elements in your story which I enjoyed very much - the way Shikamaru thinks about Sasuke and compares him (and himself) to a shogi piece, the way his mind still works while he fights, the way he fights. (The way you write the encounter, and how you characterize both Sasuke and Shikamaru through Shikamaru's thoughts.) The summary. The title. The ending. The ending line (brilliant).

(Writing more would, I think, be too much said here.)

Thank you for this beautiful story, and for sharing it here.
LouiseUchiha chapter 1 . 2/8/2014
WTF!? o.o
mndstjohn chapter 1 . 10/13/2013
Good job!
Guest chapter 1 . 9/5/2013
Cute Kirby chapter 1 . 4/8/2013
I love the way you write Shikamaru. But you probably knew that, since I've been putting that in ALL my reviews of your stories.
The minute Shikamaru mentioned shougi, my mind went straight to Climbing Silver. It was a little disappointing that no reference was made to either Climbing Silver or the king. I think in the manga/anime, Asuma compared Shikamaru to the knight, because he outmaneuvered his opponents. I wonder which piece Naruto would be. A whole bunch of pawns maybe?
Bluefhwtuedbdhfhj chapter 1 . 2/6/2013
Short, Sweet and Amazing.
SqueeFreak chapter 1 . 8/25/2012
oh! Poor Shikamaru! I love him! Very well written. I really like it even though it's so tragic. Poor Shika-kun TT And Poor Sasuke-kun too.
Ioga chapter 1 . 8/11/2012
Nnnice. Shikamaru is the most kick-ass pawn I've ever seen.

I suffered a mild suspension of disbelief at the end, and not because of the breakability of kagemane: Sasuke had a kunai at Shikamaru's throat so when he broke the Uchiha's nose that kunai landed somewhere asymmetrically. He could have had Sasuke pick that up instead and remain kunailess for the slit move himself, but well, maybe it got too badly lost and all there was left was perfect symmetry. (Asymmetry would have made for a less interesting ending, anyway.)

Loved the "I thought you were good at running away"; I actually just watched the anime filler where Ino-Shika-Chou declare proudly that they're good at finding ways out and staying alive. And cooed at "I might have not bothered to go after you." And nose-break pride, hahaha. Elegant shogi tie-in.

Thanks for this!
okay then chapter 1 . 12/20/2009
yep. i never really thought about a fight between sasuke and shikamaru just because we've never even really seen them together at any point in the manga (pretty much).

though this is really neat. you analyzed and described shikamaru's personality really well, and managed to relate the whole situation to shougi.

well done. :)
kellymarianandanne chapter 1 . 5/12/2009
redfe chapter 1 . 6/25/2008
So he killed himself because he wouldn't be able to escape or kill Saskue any otherway? Sounds like a chess move indeed. if this is cannon based, at what time did this happen? Anyway, good concept and characterization.
starchain88 chapter 1 . 5/25/2008
This reminded me of that time during the Forest of Death when Kabuto was all, "You don't really wanna fight me, you just wanna make a big gesture." And how awesome it was that, even though Sasuke is probably one of the strongest shinobi for his age to ever be in Leaf, he still gets his comeuppance.

Good job D
cheshirecat6 chapter 1 . 2/28/2008
*is still in shock*
the grey mage chapter 1 . 2/4/2008
Alasoi chapter 1 . 12/18/2007
Now THAT was cool.

It was also too short for me to really notice anything major to critique, so I'll let you go this time ;)

Great job though, excellent writing. :)