Reviews for Hopeless
ProtectobotsFTW chapter 5 . 4/24/2011
Realize this is an Oooooooold fic, but just wanted to say I enjoyed it! Fun concept and fun execution.
Harpokrates chapter 5 . 2/15/2010
Although the 'girl gets turned into a transformer' plot is rather cliche, you do an excellent job of keeping the characters, in-character. I like Darkstar's humanity in contrast to everyone else being Cybertroian. Mindwipe seems a little too cool, if I remember correctly, he was a panicky, paranoid dork. Anyways, good story, the epiphany at the ending made me a little upset, but overall it was a very dramatic story, with, good characters and no 'oh starscream I love you'.
Alexander - Godslayer chapter 5 . 6/9/2009
Well, first of all, I’m gonna start saying that I actually never watched Transformers. Not the cartoons, at least. The only things I’ve watched was Beast Wars and the Transformers Movie, since I could tell it was pretty cool. How did I find myself reading this, you may wonder? Well, a recommendation from a friend of mine, who wanted to see how someone alien to the series would react to a story like this.

My question now is where to start this review… mh… might as well go in order, I suppose…

It’s kinda fun, looking in retrospective, how the story starts being about a human girl, who we suddenly realize is not human… anymore. Being that Transformers and Humans are seen so differently in the franchise as far as I’ve know, I can tell this is certainly an unusual angle. You certainly had an original idea for this story, so kudos to you for that.

The development of Caitlin as a Transformer is amazingly realistic, may I say. From feeling completely foreign to it to getting used to how her body works, but never mastering it, is something any reader can identify with. Her shocks as she sees her new, robotic body doing things she’s never done (like opening her arm to draw out plugs) and her fears about how it might feel to actually transform are also understandable and significant, which is good. A few times around, one feels like screaming to her to grow up some guts and stop whining about the situation (mainly during the battles), but realistically speaking, that she went through living as a Decepticon for four months and survived is a feat on itself, so there is quite some respect I can feel for the character. Overall, I dare say you had a really, really good original character for a story’s protagonist, which is something usually hard to do, so congratulations.

Moving on we focus less on Caitlin herself, from now on referred to as Darkstar because of the part we’re getting at, and more on what she had to go through: Life as a Decepticon. (And the lil’ devil over my shoulder laughs maliciously and shouts “Welcome to hell!”)

AHEM! Again, at this point I felt nearly as alien to that world as Darkstar, reason for which I end up relying on her views and interpretation of everything to understand the world. Another good point here, because your meticulous construction of the society and Darkstar’s introduction to it was solid and detailed, respectively, enough for me to go on with this story without any problems. (didn’t even had to check Wikipedia, something I needed to do once while reading a fanfic that was based on an Anime’s Manga version, while I had only watched the Anime, but sorry, I’m getting out of topic again)

Like I said, the construction of the Decepticons’ society was pretty solid and felt realistic, as aside from the question “Why follow war and evil and bla-bla-bla?” that always questions the motive of existence of these beings (and of which fans can only make theories, as my friend told me), everything else seemed to make far more sense than what I could have possibly expected. I don’t know how else to put it, like… that it all just feels fitting, but again, like with everything else in this fic, you’ve done a great job here.

And following on with the society, let’s get down to the specific: The rest of the cast.

I know Mindwipe is the only canonical characters appearing here, (aside a few others mentioned) but since I never knew him personally, I can’t judge your portrayal of him. I dare say, thought, it’s pretty interesting. Mindwipe come out as pretty neutral to me, if you ask me. He ruined Darkstar’s existence, and also helped her when she needed him, all with the same neutrality. All in all, my overall opinion is that he’s kinda… amusing.

But let’s leave the one cameo aside and focus on the rest of original characters. Discard, the grumpy yet fair leader of the squad. Stopgap, the rusty romantic. Smashup, the fetishist and creepy brute. Clunker, the guy who’s there when the story needs someone else for Darkstar to talk to (Sorry, couldn’t find any other distinguishable trait U). Steelcast, the (assumed-by-Darkstar) female “doctor”. And Euphony, the neutral music expert. Yeah, there were a few other characters, but these are the ones I’d consider notable (along with Mindwipe, but I already went over him).

I really liked most of these characters and their portrayals, as even thought they were Decepticon and generally violent, they never come out as purely evil, but even seem to be able to care about others sometimes. When it comes down to it, it also seems that in the end each one just care about one’s self, but it made me wonder up to what point could this go. On the whole, you got yourself a fairly interesting, and potentially likable, cast of characters.

For wrapping this up, here you got a really good idea and you worked it out pretty well. At some point I’m confused about whenever the story is about putting a human in such situation, or to give the Deceptions’ society a different look, but one way or another, or with both, it certainly made for an interesting story.

I was surprised by the open ending, though, as the story’s title somewhat made me expect something a lot darker. And even thought the situation IS way too hard, it doesn’t seem like Darkstar’s future is completely hopeless. I certainly hope that’s not the case.

Anyway, thanks and congratulations for writing and sharing this great fanfic. Again, you really did an amazing work with it. Never lose that talent.
SleepiPanda chapter 5 . 12/10/2008
love it!
SyntheticEuph0ria chapter 5 . 5/21/2008
You know, I first read the summary for this and the first thought that went through my head was "Sue Alert!", but after reading your other stuff I know better than to believe that you would ever do such a thing, so I read it anyway.

...I am now half-convinced you wrote this simply to prove that a setup like that could be written without the main chara turning into a Mary Sue. XD Seriously, this thing works almost like every random human-turned-TF Sue-fic out there, and yet it isn't one. lol I applaud you on a job well done.
tomorrow4eva chapter 1 . 5/1/2008
Yay! I didn't realise your stories were here. It's so much easier to comment on people's work when they post on . I normally avoid TF stories with 17 yr-old girls like the plague, but I trusted that yours would be different, and you don't disappoint!

I love Mindwipe's reason for giving her his colours.

Also, this line: “My arm is open and you pulled a tube out of it.”

I love that there are already over 200 Darkstars.

I like how quasi-realistic this is. And how hard she is finding it to adjust to a robot body.
ArmoredSoul chapter 5 . 2/24/2008

Go girl.

Follow your feet, and you'll find your way home.
ArmoredSoul chapter 4 . 2/24/2008
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood...

I do so love Robert Frost, thought Caitlyn's Edgar Allan Poe was quite nice.

ArmoredSoul chapter 3 . 2/24/2008
So much death...
ArmoredSoul chapter 2 . 2/23/2008
You gotta hate egotistical robots who think they can just up and snatch people out of their everyday lives and then EXPERIMENT on them and-and-AUGH!

*head/desk*

I hate Mindwipe now...
ArmoredSoul chapter 1 . 2/23/2008
WELL.

Sucks to be Caitlyn.
Ziggyboo chapter 5 . 12/5/2007
This was way more interesting than I first thought it would be. I agree with the reviewer who said it seemed like it ended in the middle of a story, though. I'm kind of disappointed with that... :( I'd certainly like to see more of all this.
Neku chapter 1 . 7/8/2007
this is such a wonderful story, i really like how you keep this believable
Aragem chapter 5 . 5/23/2007
I can't help but rave about this fic. You took something that is so commonly seen in Transformer fanfiction and created a gripping story of which I read in one sitting word for word.

And a HUGE plus from me is that you did it without making DarkStar into a marysue.

You realistically protrayed a human mind inside a Decepticon body within a Decepticon society. All the small things that most writers would gloss over or forget, you took time to explain or have it happen. Such as Darkstar not at first understanding that Transformers have no genders or her inability to access her flight function or transform. I can easily see a human have problems with little things that are common to Decepticons as breathing and blinking is to humans.

When the fic ended, it was like watching a movie that ended in the middle of the story. Like each of the Lord of the Rings movies (except for the third one). I'm curious to know what happens or befalls Darkstart? It's for certain that she will meet new characters in Jekka, but ally or foe?

A story like Darkstar's can't have a happy ending without ruining the story. She'll either be killed or accept being a transformer, either way, there is no going back for her.
Starscream's Mishap chapter 5 . 11/24/2006
Once again, your eye for detail and sense of logistics boggles my mind. What most storytellers take for granted you actually take the time to explain, or at least have Darkstar unable to do. That makes all the difference in your work versus "Autobot Spike" et al.

And having an angsty teen obsessed over Linkin Park was incredibly stereotypical, but at the same time somewhat poignant. She had nothing left from the life she knew, except for memories and access to an overplayed, easily downloaded tune. That's something to angst over.