Reviews for At The Heart Of The Matter
Kai chapter 36 . 4/20
Okay, you surprised me a lot.

Usually after such a proposal, the father leads his property down the aisle and transfers said property to the hands of the new owner. Like a car dealer gives the buyer the papers and keys for the new car. As I said earlier, that's the way it really was in the past, and it's just kept as a tradition that should be banned. And you left it out. Very good!

But then, sexism rules again! It may be lawful in the US, it may be just a traditional wording without legal standing, I don't know. Here in the civilised world (Germany) it's handled differently. "I give you, for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Potter" Cool, subservience even without a right to her own given name. Wow! Might've been alright and lawful 150 years ago, now they just should be shot on the spot for that crap. When those sexist arseholes are all eliminated there's perhaps a chance to introduce equal rights for women.

Okay, as you might have guessed, sexism is my personal pet peeve. And your description of proposal and marriage pushed almost all my buttons.

I just hope that in Britain things are different and that it's only the US Americans who are steeped in outdated traditions like that and that an assumed "real" Harry Potter would act differently.

On a much more positive note, I happily noticed that you don't suffer of a bad case of "middle-name-itis" like so many fellow US American authors seem to. It's not only them, authors from other countries are not immune to that horrible disease, but it seems to be worst west of the Atlantic Ocean. That leads to the assumption that even in the USA nobody MUST have a middle name, like many fanfics seem to indicate. Here in Germany people can have one or several middle names, but there's no real need to, unless the first given name isn't gender-specific. And Ms. Rowling gave some people middle names, but not to others. Which leads to the assumption that in Britain it's like here and, seemingly, in the USA. But some middle names seem even to be ubiquitous, but are fanon. Well, I thank you for that!

The story, however, I like very much!
Kai chapter 35 . 4/20
Shorter review for this: Why Luna? Was that necessary? Why not "random time warp person #17"?

Okay, she's one of my two most favourite characters in the series, so I just HATE seeing her harmed. So sad...
Kai chapter 34 . 4/20
You're a US American, aren't you? Okay, I cheated and had a peek at your profile. But I knew beforehand. The proposal is SO typical, it's, well, clearly what people of your country seem to be viewing as the ideal of a marriage proposal.

The "romantic" setting. Disgustingly so, and if the relationship isn't romantic from time to time it's doomed anyway, and going overboard now doesn't change that. The soft music, the rididulously expensive champagne, so many flowers that there's almost no space to breathe, and the smell, overwhelming and heavy enough to drug the attendees.

The kneeling down, which is supposed to be chivalrous or some such shit (by the way, a "chivalrous" relationship is doomed anyway, because a functioning relationship has to be between equals and NOT between the knight and the damsel) but is just creepy, considering what comes next. It represents some kind of subservience and shows the will to serve the lady. As I said, the next point completely negates that.

A half-hour long monologue about their history, about the depths of his love, about his will to serve and protect her (EQUALS!), the breathed "Will you marry me?" (or even worse, bring on the "honour", marriage has got NOTHING to do with fucking HONOUR), and my favourite, presenting the ring. About which she had absolutely NO influence. She has to accept whatever shite the guy chooses, and we (guys) are not famous for sense of styles in general and personal styles in particular. What if she would prefer another metal, other stones, differently coloured stones, different cuts? Bugger this, I'm the man and it's MY decision. And that's the real problem. It's completely the manly man's decision. When is the proposal, where is the proposal (only a PUBLIC proposal would've been worse), what ring do I present, and the main thing: I want to marry now and I decide accordingly, SHE has only the right to agree passively.

Those proposals (all of them, not only in your work) are the most sexist shit I've ever seen as taking place in modern times. SHE's under enormous pressure, emotional, and if it'd take place in public, social pressure. She CAN'T say "no", because it'd be the most awkward situation she'd EVER be in. Alone for this, she SHOULD say "no" and send him packing, ending the clearly unequal relationship then and there. So she says "yes" and with that submits to the dominance of the future lord and master. If she says "yes" she accepts that it's the man who comes to the important decisions for the future.

And Alicia is TWENTY-THREE, she should be allowed by now to have a bit of influence on her life. Oh, but we're not finished, yet. Enter Alicia's owner, er, father. And Harry asks the father for permission to marry the daughter. It's nice to give them his blessing, but it's not needed, and he can stick his "approval" up his arse, and Harry should be sent packing again for ignoring Alicia's SOLE right to decide about her marriage. To go over her head and ask the father is just ridiculous. Alicia's an ADULT! for fucking's sake.

There's something like "Equal Rights". I don't know if you've ever heard of it, but even in YOUR country it does exist. Oh, and Britain, too, as that's the place where Harry tries to oppress Alicia. Your description seems to be kind of traditional in your country, but those traditions date back to a time when fathers were indeed the children's owners and could trade them for money and influence by marriage. And when husbands indeed became the new owners of their "kept" woman with marriage. But that's been 150 years ago. Times and attitudes have changed and some "traditions" should not only be abolished but actively banned and punished. Because it's effectively slavery.

By the way, Alicia's reaction is just plain WRONG! She's surprised and emotionally affected with the famous tears in her eyes, the hands cover the mouth and then the "Yes yes yes yes yes, thousand times yes!" As if it were still a real surprise by then. And it SHOULDN'T be anyway, because that's a giant step and has to be discussed between two, perhaps you can guess, EQUALS.

That's it for the proposal, but I'm quite sure that the wedding continues with those sexist traditions as the way of proposal indicates a mindset that DEMANDS some wedding traditions that aren't any less sexist.
Obsidius chapter 42 . 4/19
Great story. thanks
bigtomato chapter 10 . 4/9
How the heck did he spend twenty thousand pounds on clothes? Obviously I have never shopped anywhere more upmarket than TK Max!
bigtomato chapter 6 . 4/9
Gotta say I didn't see the Neville/Hermione thing coming...
So good. This story is amazing and is sure to be one that I re-read in the future.
DalkonCledwin chapter 16 . 2/10
Riddle’s extended convalescence has something to do with Harry’s soon to be acquired power to drain magic from people, doesn’t it?

It’s called a Dark Mark, not a Death Mark. A Death Mark is something from the Treasure Island Novel, which though technically called a “Black Spot”, was little more than an early warning sign that the person who received it was marked for death.

So Goyle has to both get the children of the Death Eaters to Voldemort for marking AND find Severus at the same time. Goyle’s going to be quite busy, isn’t he?. I think that in one of the two instances you might have meant the other bookend known as Crabbe.
DalkonCledwin chapter 13 . 2/10
Irregardless is a single word double negative that has no meaning. You only needed the regardless part as it means exactly what you wanted it to mean. Irregardless would basically mean ‘regardless and without regard’ and that makes no bloody sense.

I really don’t think it is fair to blame the Chamber of Secrets fiasco on Dumbledore…
DalkonCledwin chapter 12 . 2/10
please, please tell me that Amelia & Cornelius will both be present when Dumbledore returns and that he once again brings Shaklebolt with him, that would be priceless!
DalkonCledwin chapter 10 . 2/10
Yes, girls are scary when they are presented with an unlimited supply of money for doing their shopping.

I just pray that Susan and the other girls never discover places like Restaurant Le Cinq, Spondi, Boston College Club and other restaurants that offer what are termed "Blind Menu's." Harry would have a heart attack.
DalkonCledwin chapter 9 . 2/10
By Wizarding Nobility standards that must make 12 Grimmauld Place ridiculously tiny by comparison… 15 bedrooms ye gads. To think Grimmauld Place only had six floors and nowhere even remotely CLOSE to as many bedrooms. It has at least six confirmed bedrooms but certainly no more than ten in total, not counting auxiliary rooms. I would say it had ten because it would have needed a rooms for Bella, Cissy, and Andy (each of which would have been given their own room), Cygnus and his wife, Orion and Walburga, Sirius and Regulus (each having their own rooms), along with the Master Suite which would have been reserved for Arcturus Black himself (who outlived everyone but Bella, Cissy, Andy, and Sirius), not to mention any guest rooms.

That completely modern kitchen must be the work of either Lily herself, or Lily’s biological parents. I don’t see anyone prior to that being capable of installing a modern kitchen. That said, if it is Lily’s biological parents, then it is entirely plausible that the kitchen is out of date by at least 3.5 decades. And if it is Lily’s doing, then the kitchen is at least 15 years out of date. So it can’t really be said to be a “completely modern kitchen.” It would probably have been more accurate to state that it was a “completely Muggle kitchen,” which of course means that the Thurox Manor is somehow wired for electricity, despite magic and electricity not interacting particularly pleasantly.

I hope Harry manages to figure out something to do for a date in Muggle London. It's not like he has had a whole heck of a lot of opportunities to explore Muggle London, now is it?
DalkonCledwin chapter 5 . 2/10
Based on the description of the Chuzzor Blood, Love very well could be the power he knows not, just not in the way most people would normally expect… My guess is that a Chuzzor has the ability to induce feelings of love and happiness in those around them, much in the same way that Veela induce feelings of lust in the males around them. Such an Aura would be rather debilitating for someone like Tom, now wouldn’t it?

Dumbledore is the Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards (Wizard U.N.), and the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot (British Wizarding Parliament & Courts), not the Supreme Mugwump of the Wizengamot. There is no such title.

It’s actually funny. Hogwarts may no longer be his home, but it doesn’t need to be. Harry owns at least 25% of Hogwarts between the Gryffindor and Potter holdings. That means that in the absence of a clear Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff or Slytherin Heir (the latter being impossible because Voldemort is the last heir and he is currently nothing more than a Magical Construct), that he can dictate policy to the Hogwarts Board of Governors. That probably more than anything else is why Dumbledore didn't want Harry to be aware of his heritage.
DalkonCledwin chapter 3 . 2/10
If Dumbledore knows that Lily was adopted… what is the REAL reason for sending Harry back to the Dursley’s time and time again? It most certainly has absolutely NOTHING to do with the alleged Blood Wards like he is claiming, as there can be no Blood Wards without a true blood relationship between Harry Potter and Petunia Dursley.

Harry really needs to consider bonding with Dobby… That little Elf would solve all his dietary problems lickity split, and the Dursley’s would be none the wiser.
DalkonCledwin chapter 2 . 2/10
Ooh! He’s Vernon’s boss! That is helpful!

Wait… how did the Weasley Twins manage to make 85,000 Galleons (aka 420,750 pounds, or 640,633.95 US Dollars) worth of stocks in only a handful of months? I am assuming they would themselves want controlling interest in Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes, and there is no way they would be able to supply 85% of the start-up capital all on their own if those figures are accurate. The only way that would be possible is if they took out a loan from the Goblins or someone else, in which case they would never manage to gain controlling shares of the company due to the interest rates on such loans. Those figures shouldn’t be possible for Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. Harry should control at least 50% of the company, if not more.

I am going to go out on a limb and assume that Harry is related to the Thurox’s via Lily, though how her bright crimson hair could be qualified as dark almost black red hair I have no bloody clue. And Harry should be aware of her appearance in more or less vivid detail thanks to this nifty magical artifact called the Mirror of Erised that allowed him to see his Parents forms before he had ever seen a photograph of them; those forms likely having been taken from subconscious memories of his parents from when he was a baby. Everyone has such memories, however because they are subconscious memories we can’t actively call them up.

I also find it interesting that the way you described the Chuzzor's basically makes them into the equivalent to Veela, except that they can be either gender and only come into their powers at the age of 16. That will be fun. I wonder if Veela are affected by Chuzzor's? It might also explain why Harry wasn't really all that affected by Fleur, huh?

I will have to curb my "Where the Hell is the Peverell Estate?" comment that I had originally planned to include in this review because I just looked up the date that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows was released, and it wasn't until nearly a year after the first chapter of this story was published. There really was no point in retconning the story just for that I assume.