Reviews for On the Other Side of You
rozzy07 chapter 1 . 7/27/2006
I hate it when my mascara runs and goddam it Faye you've done it to me with this story. This really could have been subtitled the 'The haunting of Dean Winchester' as Jessica shadowed him around since her death offering up an insight into what his brother was made up so beautifully it made the chest tighten and yes the eyes leak!

This short snippet sums it up perfectly:

year ago he hadn't understood. He had known that Sam loved her, but he had never fathomed just how deeply, how passionately, how importantly. But talking to her, seeing her, knowing her-he caught a glimpse of just how much Sam had lost, and it was enough to make him immobile with grief.

A year ago he only wanted his brother back. Now he had him, but the price had been great.

Dean can truly encompass and understand his brother's grief and having him share with it at her graveside at the anniversary of her death just literally tore my heart into shreds - before you rebuilt it again with the knowledge that at long last Jessica was content to leave Sam, whole again, in the hands of his loving and so much wiser older brother.

Beautiful sniffly, mascara running, tissue box moment stuff. Thank you!

Roz.
Colby's girl chapter 1 . 7/27/2006
What a great story. Moved me to tears...

Once again thanks for the wonderful read. You capture the underlying emotions of the television show and expose them; raw and real. It's everything we feel boiling under the surface and more. Looking foward to another story soon.
Iarejedi chapter 1 . 7/25/2006
That was a wonderful short story. I am totally impressed and blown away by you depth of feeling in the characters. You really captured their essences. I loved it. :D Keep up the great writing.
KatieLB chapter 1 . 7/25/2006
oh my talk about goosebumps... really really good story...filled full of emotions and all the good stuff that makes us love this show. good job as always
Jellicle chapter 1 . 7/25/2006
Amazing fic. I almost overlooked it, then I saw the detail that Jess was dead and talking to Dean and decided to take the chance. I'm glad I did. Really nice work. Congratulations.
mysterious.brunette101 chapter 1 . 7/24/2006
Wow... that's really all there is to say. And I hope 'wow' states how much I think this story is completely amazing. Long- but amazing. Wow...
Ghostwriter chapter 1 . 7/24/2006
Very, very cool. Catch ya on the flip side.
amy jonas chapter 1 . 7/24/2006
Faye. I don't know what to say. WOW would cover it but couldn't do this story justice. And you deserve more FB than that.

This was an amazing piece. Emotional and tender. I loved this story so much. I loved how Dean; along witht he reader; got to see the woman that Sam fell in love with.

I thought it incredibly sad that Dean saw at first as only an obsticle that took Sam away from him. And it was Jess that showed Dean how much Sam needed his brother.

If anything happened to you, Dean, he’d fall apart."

Scoffing, Dean shook his head. "Sam has never needed anyone but himself."

Her eyes were piercing. "Everything good in him comes from you. And he knows that. He may never say it, but he knows it. And now, after everything, you’re the only one he has left."

Dean had always been so worried about losing Sam that he never considered how Sam felt about possibly losing him. That just wasn’t the way this family was structured. Dean was the protector, Sam was the one protected.

"You hold him together. You have to know that."

There's really too much of what I love to poiint out to you. But I loved how Dean realized that Jess loved Sam unconditionally and I think when Jess saves Sam it shows real sacrifice becasue I could feel how much she wants to be with him again.

And then ther eis this:

"You’ve never said that before. You tell him it’s not his fault. That this isn’t about him. You lie to him. Don’t you?"

"Of course I lie to him," Dean said quickly. "I’d lie to him every day if that meant I could spare him from all this."

"You can’t though."

Dean’s eyes flashed as he looked back up to her.

Her face remained impassive. She had known all along. "You can’t spare him from any of this. It’s already happening to him. You need to help him through it, not pretend like it didn’t happen."

This is so cannocally true and I hope Dean figures it out in S2 becasue I think things are goign to get hairy.

Anyway I love How Jess urged Dean to be with Sam at her grave,

"Go to him, Dean."

He didn't even jump at her voice. "He said he wanted to be alone."

"He needs you. He needs you more than you'll ever know."

"What will I say to him?"

"Nothing."

"Then what will I do?"

She smiled. "Hold him."

So utterly beautiful. ALl Sam needed was his brothers' presence to help him through his greif and pain. And making Sam whole again.

faye, there so much more I wish I could point out - Jess telling Dean about how Sam talked about himl how dean kept him grounded and that despite everything, Sam went with dean simply becasue Dean had asked.

This has become my favorite fic Faye. It really lets Dean see Sam through another light and I think it gives Dean a better understanding of his brother. While I know we wont get anything like this in the series, I would love to see the cemetary scene on the show.

I would love to have the series show us just what Jess meant to Sam. But I geuss that why we have fanfic and writers like you.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Amy
SweetJubilee chapter 1 . 7/24/2006
What an imagination you have! This story has such a unique design, such an extraordinary proposal.

Once again, you astound me with your wit. How you created this tale is truly fabulous.

My offer to borrow your muse still stands. (Just for a little while. You can even stay in the room with us.)
violetsunshine chapter 1 . 7/23/2006
This is such an awesome story! It is very emotional and a very original idea...I love the idea of Dean and Jessica knowing each other because it is terrible that they really didn't get to talk more when she was alive bc they both have such an impact on Sam...and your Jessica was perfect! We don't really see much of her but the way you wrote her really fit...and I just adored everything about this, it's definetly going on my favorites!
Cassie chapter 1 . 7/23/2006
I liked that because it was really original... and you're an amazing writer. Good vocab. :) I'm gonna go read more of your stuff...
lilrabbitangel14 chapter 1 . 7/23/2006
aww this story made me cry three times in all different places. I like that yoo explored more in Jessica. She sounds like a totally awesome person..too bad we didnt get to see more of her on the show.
Riana1 chapter 1 . 7/23/2006
You are amazing.

We never get to know Jess in canon as anything more than a plot device for getting Sam back to hunting with Dean. She is always the lost love, the dead girlfriend, never anything separate to her relationship with Sam.

I adored Jess and Dean bonding after hours.
JJ Phoenix chapter 1 . 7/23/2006
I don't even know where to begin! There's so much to touch on here.

First, what an original concept! Beginning the fic soon after Bloody Mary was perfect; we were able to understand Jessica's presence and didn't question it. You progressed the fic nicely, taking us from the time she appeared to Sam up to the anniversary of her death, and her purpose gradually became more clear every time she visited Dean.

"She was in the way. It was that simple."

As much as I enjoyed the entire read, this was the line that stood out to me the most. I just find it so intriguing that both Dean and the demon needed her gone in order to keep Sam for himself, and I wonder how the Dean in this fic would react after the revelations of DT.

And Sam was limp! Fever!Sam! Blue!Sam! Woobie!Dean! It was all there and all so perfect.

*loves*

JJ
daisymaygirl1 chapter 1 . 7/23/2006
How on earth could you possibly think that this fic is disasterous? I think it's one of the best things, if not the best, you have written. It is just so beautifully tender and sad. The dialogue between Dean and Jess was exquisite and the ending broke me into a thousand tiny pieces of tearySammy loving happiness. :-).

You know I've said this many times before, but your Sammy steals the show for me everytime, even when he's asleep for a lot of the story. :-)

Thank you.