Reviews for A Blind Reality
Blackford chapter 1 . 8/25/2014
Hey! I thought this story was beautiful. I could actually feel Toph's pain and frustration in my mind as I read it. I also really appreciated Katara's compassion and love, and when she helped Toph to feel a little better, it came across so beautifully. And the way you wrote Toph's flashback was great! I loved the way you wrote the entire story!

I'm really sorry that these events actually happened to you. I felt bad about it, but I'm also glad that you were able to express your experiences through a story! It was great! It helped me to learn and understand what it feels like to be in such a situation, and also to remember to appreciate the world around us. You do a good job reminding us all to appreciate the good things in life! I really like that message! Awesome work.
DarkSecretWaterbender chapter 1 . 4/27/2013
Woah, that was powerful. I'm sorry you had to go through something like that.

I like how you refer to Toph and Katara as sisters. :)

I think this story did teach me something.
flawsmadebeautiful chapter 1 . 1/15/2011
That was sweet. That was a really good story and everyone should learn from things like this.
A Warrior for Truth chapter 1 . 12/23/2008
You are a good writer but please, this sort of thing should stay out of fanfiction. Please keep it in memoirs, where it will have the most impact, and don't post it here. You lose the integrity of the characters when you post here and thus it weakens the message.
signedsecret chapter 1 . 10/11/2008
awesome :D
SpazztasticFanGirl chapter 1 . 5/24/2008
:D What a nice story! I really enjoyed it! Poor Toph! I feel so bad for her!
Big Man Bryan chapter 1 . 11/23/2007
My Rating (out of four): Two-and-a-half stars

I understand what the author is trying to do, and I at least respect her for that. Using an origin story that goes outside the canon to explain Toph's blindness and how it affects her in order to teach a valuable lesson (it's an old one, but worth repeating) about the virtue of sight and how things, no matter how small, should never be taken for granted.

To an extend, she succeeds. "A Blind Reality" is a fairly well-written fanfiction, and one of the first to be about Toph. You could say this is a character study, as it tries to explain the girl's attitude about her disability. At the time of this particular fanfic, she's suffering a migraine that brings back tragic memories of how her sight was lost. What really sets her off is Sokka's insensitivity to being able to see the beautiful forest. Her rage causes Katara to despair, and since Katara's the most caring person in the group, Toph tells her her story.

The author never explains this, but the flashback is told in somewhat modern times so that... I don't know. Maybe it's better to describe the story this way than to try and intervene it into Avatar-Universe terms. This won't fly with every reader, but I believe it adds a bit more depth than canon terms could provide: this is probably exactly what the author went through during her path to impaired vision. It makes the work a lot more personal than most of the fanfictions I've read.

However, I couldn't help but feel manipulated by many of the fanfic's passages. This author doesn't seem to have faith in her readers' intelligence, because the message, despite its greatness, is bombarded into our brains very forcefully. Such unsubtle tactics make this a somewhat irritating experience; better writing would imply the message, prompting the readers to think and figure it out themselves. Not "Reality," which shouts its themes loud and constantly.

This takes a certain toll of the characters, who, while not out-of-character in extreme, are there simply to be made an example of. Katara is sweet to the point that she might as well be a grandmother. Toph's usually badass remarks are exchanged for the blatant moral lessons needed to be learned. She's a character in melodrama. (In fact, near the middle of the story, the author forgets that Toph is blind and has her look into Katara's eyes for the obligatory Moment Of Understanding.) I don't know about anyone else, but I found it a bit strange that the male characters (Sokka, Aang, the dad) are shortchanged into "ignorants" while the females have more defined emotions. I hope there isn't a hidden feminist message in this fanfiction.

Amazingly, the grammar is top notch. There's not a single spelling error that I was aware of or misuse of punctation and sentence structure that I'm used to in stories on this site. This is great since the focus remains entirely on the story.

A lack of subtly is all that's missing from making this a worthwhile fanfiction. "A Blind Reality" is not that good, but I still appreciate the author's purpose. We could use more personal fanfictions. It's important, though, to be able to express feelings through a great handle of the writing craft. Once you learn that, you're unstoppable.
commanderbubbles101 chapter 1 . 10/11/2007
Alright...everybody likes to rant, eh?

This actually gave me an idea for one of my own characters...

Although I kinda forgot, anywho, liked the story.
The 'Blur' Witch chapter 1 . 5/12/2007
Wow and wow, this was a beautiful story I loved it. You sure know how to write stories about Toph really well, This is going on my favorites list.

It felt like I was watching a movie reading this...just wow...- keep it up!
Marauders4EVR chapter 1 . 3/20/2007
Wow! This story is one of the best stories I've ever read. You are an amazing author, and inspirational. I know what it's like to be visually impared, but I've never had the courage to say so until I read your stories. Thank you Sifu-KataraRose.
blindgirl94 chapter 1 . 3/14/2007
Alright...listen...you don't know what you're talking about... so just stop! First of all, Toph was BORN blind. Second of all...forget it...you know what...forget it. I'm sick of trying to sit here and explain to everyone what it means to be disabled.
CaitlinFaith chapter 1 . 3/7/2007
This fanfiction is one of the most beautifully written I've ever read! Even though we know in the show that Toph was born blind, it's really nice to read fanfiction about how she became blind if she wasn't born that way. Again, this is a really great fic!

Caitlin :)
Darksword'Shiningpen chapter 1 . 1/30/2007
all i have to say is, WOW. this story was amazing
SilvrImage chapter 1 . 8/14/2006
wow you are an absolutely amazing writter and after reading that this actually happened to you made me cry! even tho i dont kno you my heart goes out to you

keep up the great work!
notlolilaughed chapter 1 . 8/4/2006
Wow, you have a truely gifted skill in writing sad stories which probably originates from drawing from your own experiences. Great job! I look forward to yur stories :D