Reviews for The Cubicle Adventures
Kaworu Naha ga bisa chapter 1 . 10/9/2015
Rei listening to Heavy Metal...This whole shit's genius.
Mr. 16384 chapter 5 . 8/31/2014
Impossibly funny.
As you said, entirely meaningless, but it was certainly a real riot to read.
lurkingandreblogging chapter 5 . 12/6/2013
This was a weird story. But I really, really liked it.
driftking18594 chapter 5 . 1/10/2013
That was a truly hilarious story.

One thing that bugged me, though, was that the scenery - e.g. the walls, the carpets of every room - wasn't described thoroughly. Don't feel bad about that, though, I still enjoyed this thoroughly. Even though I'm an Asuka fan, I recognise that Shinji can't really turn around his relationship with her in the space of a few days.
Where the gras is greener chapter 5 . 5/1/2012
Well, that was funny. (I'm slightly disturbed how many of my reviews begin with this statement)

I liked your characterization and strangely enough development of characters, considering the actual and in-story length. Somehow your writing style clicked with me.
MAI742 chapter 5 . 12/25/2011
Utterly pointless. But a jolly good fluff read indeed. Cheers!
Rose1948 chapter 5 . 12/7/2011
:;roflmao:: Oh my gosh! This was awesome! Reminds me of my ten years at Denver Water! ::howls:: The mismanagement, the programs that didn't work like they should have (Yes, they were all Windows based, too!), the jerkwads who had positions of authority and shouldn't have... ::snickers:: Priceless! Thanks for sharing!
Ioshua chapter 5 . 10/11/2011
This story was crazy, I got lost twice, and found five times...

Although, throughout reading this story, I kept listening to the theme of Dai-Gaurd...

...It helped xD
3ohE chapter 5 . 9/11/2010
Intresting nd wierd fic bt overall i enjoyed it
cazertanu chapter 5 . 6/20/2010
cool story bro
Sean chapter 5 . 4/10/2010
Pointless? Yes

Awesome and hilarious? Even more so.
NemesisZero chapter 5 . 9/26/2009
It was only pointless in the sense that life is pointless. Things happen, people connect or don't, and the clock keeps ticking. Doesn't mean you can't have a good time along the way, share some laughs and make some memories... but yeah, it's just life. no big whoop.
Squire of Gothos chapter 5 . 5/16/2009
I like the relaxed atmosphere of this story, and how it slowly builds up to the harrowing (yet ultimately pointless ;-p) conclusion, and the twist in the end. Nice grasp of the dramatic. This is one of the few stories that I immediately want to go back and read again, just because it's so relaxing and well written
Sash'Rahaal chapter 5 . 4/19/2009
I think this was very good...

Why do I think that this was very good?

Maybe it's the fact that I can definitely see Shinji working a dull office job. It just seems so perfect for him.

Anyways, I very much enjoyed this. It was a riot, and had some genuine resolution at the end, in a story that might have just dropped off, presumably to continue on a loop of what we've already seen.

ficlord chapter 5 . 12/12/2008
Whew! Now to review. I've read this once before, and now that I've read it again, years later - what with having an account and all - I'll give a review.

You say the story is pointless. Well, you, the author, may well be wrong about that. The point of the story seems to be the pointlessness itself. It's the running theme, the most fundamental aspect of the message of the story - the pointlessness of the post-modern work-world.

Your use of Asuka may have been a bit offensive to Asuka fans, but I don't get upset over things like that too easily.

I really like that the story ends with Shinji finding his stapler in the wreckage. "I wonder where my stapler disappeared to." I'm not entirely sure why.

There are actually lots of moments where people make observations about human nature and how to deal with the human condition. Is it general cynicism? I dunno. It's just a story that revels in hopeless nihilism - pure post-modernism.

Although I'm not so certain that companies are all identical. Working at INTEL was different from pretty much every other factory job I've ever held, and I've held a few - they treat their employees rather well. I worked in the fab (cleanroom), but there were lots of cubicles there, too. Everything about job safety I learned there - everywhere else I've worked, I haven't had anywhere near the kind of job safety-training they had - and their employees were MOTIVATED and SATISFIED with their company. They even know their company's mission statement.

The worst job I've ever had was at a pizza place - not a corporation, but a local business. The only reason it was able to survive was because it was the only place that was open and delivering after the bars closed at 2 am (according to local law). The business wasn't actually capable of serving all the people who called - we didn't have enough drivers, not enough people to take the calls, and only one oven - and everything was made fresh. It was horrible. And in taking the calls, we weren't supposed to tell customers about the deals they could get. They had to tell us they wanted such-and-such a deal or ask us about what deals we had - the goal was to extract as much money out of customers as possible. Compare that to major corporations, where if they don't tell you what deals they're offering, you get something extra. The pizza place I worked was so poor and backwards they didn't even have computers. So much for small businesses being all that! After that experience, I've developed a much higher opinion of those large corporations that are making every city across the globe look and taste the same.

Similarity doesn't really breed success. It's not unusual for corporations to mimic each other, but just because they are doesn't mean they're being smart - they aren't necessarily gaining market advantage. Which really doesn't change the fact that I've yet to meet a toaster that won't burn toast after the first two or three lowest settings.

So to sum it all up - I liked the story. I also hate the private sector and want to become a university professor, where I will have to contend with all kinds of stupid politics, not to mention the same kind of bureaucratic idiocy that is made fun of in this fic, as well as Office Space and Dilbert. I don't think Dr. Akagi's suggestion that simply getting drunk or getting laid really resolves the stifling environment of modern culture. Also, calling for any kind of violent revolution or resistance would indeed be futile, because then you just have another institution put in place that does basically the same thing. I like the idea we need to slow down and develop real connections - that was another possible response that was brought up, and maybe that's what Shinji and Rei accomplished at the end there. That would seem to be the implication. But neither does it seem to be the INEVITABLE conclusion; this fic does not attempt to present a solution, it only poses the problem, while also pointing to possible coping mechanisms.

Breaking the computer is not an answer to the problem, because it does nothing, if not make one's situation worse. Breaking the computer is merely therapeutic - revenge for the sake of expressing anger. (Finding outlet for anger does seem to be another theme of this story - the heavy metal music plays a role here. As the expression of anti-institutional frustrations - and a symbol for that expression - it is very appropriate that heavy metal music should be a part of their plan to wreck havoc for management, and appropriate that it should accompany the chaos that ends Nerv Technologies, Inc.)

I also liked how you used Maya. Her action at the end of the story was inevitable. I could see it coming the first time, and it is definitely a good thing that she bursts in just as the main characters are wreaking havoc with the virus. Their revolt becomes forgotten because of the violence of the three gangsters, and the whole company is destroyed as a result - and since they were all already fired anyhow and prepared to work across the street, nothing actually changed for them, whether or not they had attempted the plan, or even whether or not Maya had gone berserk. The company would have probably gone under anyhow, as well, since even the management didn't know what the company was about.

... But yeah, you probably didn't expect for this story to elicit this kind of response.

(BTW - this is my longest review thus far on . I usually try not to go so far with my literary criticism and what-not.)