Reviews for An Unconventional Introduction
Snakes on Christine chapter 21 . 12/16/2006
Just read the whole thing... wow. It was really good. I can't say I wasn't going, "FUCK. PLEASE GET THEM TOGETHER." which made me disappointed that they didn't, but I knew it wasn't Mark/Roger, soo...

Also, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't skip over all of this "June" shit. Mark/OC? Fuck that! :)
Iniga chapter 21 . 11/30/2006
So, I finally read this last week, but ff.n was having a snit and wouldn't let me review as I went along. So now that ff.n is feeling better, I'll try to do justice to your work here.

I love the attention you give to accurate and consisent details. That's the number one thing that separates an excellent fic from the mass of average fics. It was fantastic that you either researched or knew about and incorporated the Van Wickle gates. It's accuracy like that that makes a fic real and fun. At about the same time in the story, I adored Benny's entrance. I was waiting for him to show up and you didn't dissapoint. You had him absolutely in character with his speech patterns and attitudes, but didn't caricature him into a moustache-twirling villain. Another Benny moment I liked is the one where he shows up at a party with beer, because beer is all that matters.

Some other little things I especially appreciated: Mark's mother worrying about him being *in the city* with Roger versus his father worrying about him being in the city *with Roger*; Mark critiquing casting decisions during his very first afterglow; and Roger's panicked speech about how much he loves his life, which was extremely reminiscent of "he had the world at his feet" from canon.

And since this really was a Mark story, I'll finish by saying that the evolution of his character was nicely done. He was nicely canonical throughout; his early scenes where he convinces his mother to let Roger in and tells Roger he has no plan B show his confidence, sense of self, and strength of character. It's obvious why Roger is drawn to him. At the same time, MArk is sometimes overcome with awkwardness and nervousness, as when he tries to talk to girls, pretends to go to pottery class, or first meets Roger. As Mark goes along, the traits that were hinted at earlier come more to the forefront. It works really well.

Now that this review is longer than some fics I've written, I'll shut up. Good job; I always enjoy your writing.
L Ducky chapter 21 . 9/20/2006
I just read this entire thing, and I think it's amazing. I love the different spin on April towards the end and Mark's desiction to sever himself from parties and June all everything like that.

-runs to read the sequel-
ThisWasNotMe chapter 21 . 9/1/2006
Brilliant. Just absolutely gorgeous. I read the whole thing in one sitting, and I just couldn't stop. Everyone's so perfectly in character, so real, so... oh I don't even know what else to tell you! Wonderful job, excellent. Please write more, I love your style.
rexmanningdays chapter 21 . 8/12/2006
Aw. I'm sad that's it. Boo. It all comes down to April.

I can't wait till your next story. :)
rexmanningdays chapter 20 . 8/12/2006
Aw, that was a really great introspection and character piece of Mark. I really liked how you wrote this chapter, and yay for the boys being back together! :)
Snurtz chapter 21 . 8/12/2006
AH! YOU ENDED IT! OMG! lol I totally didn't see that coming. Wow. You should've seen my face when I saw the word "Epilogue"... which btw is spelled epilogue not epilouge. But anyways. I LOVE THIS STORY. The way you wrote the ending in an almost poetic fashion ends it really nicely. Good job.
KBecks87 chapter 21 . 8/12/2006
Tear. Is that really the end? That makes me so sad. It was an amazing fic. One of my favorites for sure. Great job!
zorabet chapter 21 . 8/12/2006
So, wow.

Um, can you say best ever?

I love how you talk about April and her effect on Roger and Mark and stuffs.

*is still bawling from last chapter when Mark started crying*
YoungBoho chapter 21 . 8/12/2006
"I stared into his sunken eyes, beads of perspiration dotting his hairline. His jaw trembled with the swaggering audacity of a man who knew himself inside and out, but his chest heaved like a timid deer trapped in headlights. He didn't want to be here, gripping my doorway and waiting for me to cooperate. He wanted to be in a grimy back alley with a needle shoved three inches into his vein, pumping inpatience and strength."

Okay so first of all, that is one of the most powerful descriptions/characterizations i've read on this site. the imagery is incredible, i can actually feel the withdrawal, and the pain that roger is going through. excellent EXCELLENT job!

Second, thank you for writing this story, it's such a refreshing change to see Mark/Roger Friendship, and while i do love slash (i'm writing one so duh) it is sometimes frustrating seeing them just thrown together for sex's sake. probing deeper into their friendship aspect makes the romantic relationship so much more feasible after seeing everything they've gone through together and how much they mean to each other. i don't know if you meant/wanted to do this, or if i'm just reading way too much into this (one of the english major's many faults) but the way you ended it set it up perfectly for slash. it's like a new beginning, fresh start, new life new love kinda deal.

anyways. i just want to say that you're a very talented writer and i've been avidly awaiting updates on this story (thank you for updating so often by the way). this is definately one of my favorites on the site and i cannot wait to see what you do next!
Panda Slippers chapter 21 . 8/12/2006
Oh. my. god. That was fantastic. I read the entire thing throguh, in one sitting, today. The evolution of the friendship, the how they came to be the way they are - it was fantastic. I REALLY hope you are doing a sequal...
x Rajah x chapter 21 . 8/12/2006
What a great wrap-up for the story! :D Nice story overall!
freedomfighter82 chapter 21 . 8/12/2006
...It's over? *sadness*

Oh man, that last chapter was so good! So well-written. I loved it. Same with the chapter right before it. And all of them! I think I've said it about 80 times, but...poor Roger!

This story was so incredibly amazing. It was good! Your ability to write Mark and Roger was just...amazing. I wish it wasn't over. Seriously, it was so good. This is the kind of story that I'll probably read several more times. It's just so good! You write Mark so well! I could truly feel what he was going through and how he dealt with Roger. Honestly? This is the best story on fanfiction.

*claps* Well done, volitaire.
freedomfighter82 chapter 20 . 8/12/2006
Poor Mark! Poor Roger! Okay, really gonna cry. *scurries off to read 21*
x Rajah x chapter 19 . 8/12/2006
Hey there.

Thanks for reading (and reviewing) my story and, as always, I'm really enjoying yours. Can't wait for him to go to NEW YORK AND SEE ROGER!