Reviews for Another Man's Cage
sambam16 chapter 53 . 3/12
I found your story a couple of days ago and have absolutely loved it! You're an amazing writer
fantasychica37 chapter 15 . 2/9
That song is great!
AmazingWriter123 chapter 53 . 4/9/2014
This story entranced me for four days and I ignored a huge lot of research for it, but I think that it was totally amazing and I loved every moment of it...

I guess Macalaurë became my favourite character.
Alassea Telrunya chapter 51 . 2/23/2014
What ever has happened to Rumil that makes him so frail and is deaf?
Alassea Telrunya chapter 44 . 2/23/2014
Vingarie is absolutely adorable!
Alassea Telrunya chapter 43 . 2/23/2014
I wonder if the sphere is the palantir.
Alassea Telrunya chapter 38 . 2/17/2014
I can't help but empathize with Nolofinwe here. I would resent the Feanorians as well after all.
Alassea Telrunya chapter 37 . 2/16/2014
I can't help, but wonder about you saying that there is no slash in here; particularly this chapter with Findekano.
Alassea Telrunya chapter 35 . 2/15/2014
Nelyo is seriously disgusting.
fantasychica37 chapter 33 . 12/13/2013
Ai, by Iluvatar, you are a genius! Nothing that is evil bears light, so Feanaro thinks... everything in this story explains and foreshadows! Can you write a book so more of your brilliance3 can be in the world?
Acharion chapter 36 . 7/17/2013
(I do not know, of course, that the discussion of Nelyo's name will not resurface for many years. But yet it is there, a shadow beneath my dreams, a whisper upon the breeze, and an ache in the marrow of my bones. I know. The discussion of Nelyo's name will slip—as trivialities have a way of doing, in the wake of love, engagements, feuds—from my mind. And my tongue, by then, so used to twisting the familiar syllables of my beloved brother's name, will be loath to change its habits, and I will call him Nelyo in offhand moments for the rest of our lives. Indeed, on the last day we spend together, in a land far from Aman and in a language not the Quenya of which "Nelyafinwë" is composed, I will call him Nelyo. But by then, for many reasons, he will no longer notice.)
This is so beautiful and heartbreaking it has me almost to tears. The future weight of the Oath that you're portraying without saying it outright is just so lovely/troubling. This idea of a far-off land that they don't understand in the moment, but may come to hate, because they HAVE to go there. "In the last day we spend together' really has me upset, and I would be so so so happy if you wrote a fic about them stealing the jewels in the aftermath of the War of Wrath.

Thank you so much for writing this. It's really influenced how I feel about the Feanorions. :)
Varyalyen chapter 53 . 3/9/2013
This is extraordinary. It's rare that I find a work of fanfiction that makes me see the original work in a completely different light. It's even rarer that I find one which makes me view life in a different light.

And this work did that. Your characterization is impeccable: compelling, utterly plausible and utterly heartbreaking. I have read the scene between Macalaure and Feanor (in chapter 18, I think) at least five times now, and each time it moves me to tears. The first time I stumbled on this fic (a while ago; I try to wait to review so that I can leave something more intelligent than my initial impressions), I read straight through the night, completely enthralled, and I vividly remember putting down my computer after one of your Feanor chapters and whispering to the wall, "I would have followed him straight to Angband." That's a terrifying thing to realize about yourself, and a fantastic bit of writing to make me realize it.

I love your interpretation of Carnistir, because I've never felt I had the slightest handle on him as a character, and because there's a poetic tragic element to it that I think Tolkien would have wholeheartedly approved of: in my mind it's partly his visions ("Melkor", "You left us!") that confirmes Feanor and Nelyo's convictions that the peace can't last, and their conviction that the peace can't last contributes to shattering it.

There were only a couple troubling things for me, (feel free to skip this paragraph if you dislike criticism):
What "years" are the characters speaking of? Years of the (nonexistent) sun? Or Valian years? I'm assuming it's not the latter, because I think an elf child is fully grown within a single Valian year, but having the characters speaking and thinking in terms of our years always jarred me out-of-story just a little.
I also am uneasy with your characterization of Fingolfin. By the end of your story, I felt like I knew the Feanorians better than I know most of my friends - but I didn't feel like I understood Fingolfin much better at all. Also, I just can't see this uptight prick raising Aredhel.

Finally - did you ever get a chance to write that prequel or those sequels? I'm sure you're very busy, but please know that you'd have an enthusiastic audience of one right here. :)

Thanks again for a brilliant and profoundly moving piece of writing.
Fortune Zyne chapter 53 . 2/25/2013
This was an awesome story! Well done!
I love how your characterized everyone and made them so real! Keep up the good work!
Thornapple chapter 3 . 1/24/2013
I usually wait until the end of the story to review, but this story is so rich, so smooth, with so much attention paid to the details that I couldn't resist. I love reading your interpretation of the characters; they seem really well fleshed out.

(I have a soft spot for Maedhros).

This is a story I'm going to read slowly over the next few days and savour - it's rare to find such a detailed story about Feanor and his family.
GoldenHorde chapter 43 . 1/17/2013
My favorite POV in this story have always been Carnistir's, hauntingly perceptive for a four-five year(as i suspect many are and we just don't give them credit). Anyway, SOOO glad i found the rest of this story, started it in the silmarillion writer's archive and I was really hoping the rest would be here.
The story is a fresh take on the Feanorians and the little tidbits of culture are woven in seamlessly. Hope to read a Nerdanel/Feanor romance one day.