Reviews for Far Away
Azure Teriques chapter 1 . 8/25/2007
It's really well written. I love it. Haseo is really in character. I feel so bad for him...
Tylec Asroc chapter 1 . 7/29/2006
I get the feeling most readers here are cautious about opening up Roots and G.U. fics - Pandora's Boxes of crude spoilers - but this read is a haven most welcoming to all those wishing to preserve the mysteries of dotHack.

"Far Away", as with "The Sound of Silence", strikes a reasonable balance: it gives only the basic story premise everyone already knows - hero (Haseo) on a quest of vengeance for his lady (Shino) against the black knight (TriEdge) - and digs deep, deep, deep into character thoughts and motivations as a compensation for telling us nothing about the particular events of .hack/Roots.

I felt a little iffy about your assessment that Haseo "couldn't care less about the strange looks he was getting". I agree that he *appears* "really very good at ignoring people" - always posing himself as ‘too cool to care’ - but he also seems very thin-skinned: a few PKs and harassments make him want to quit (ep 1); he’s offended that Ovan would go adventuring with someone besides him (ep 2); while Tabby's doubts of his loyalty (ep 5) throw him into a hissy-fit and he threatens to leave the guild. Haseo seems easily upset when he doesn't get the respect he (thinks he) deserves.

But then, I've clearly watched fewer episodes than you, so maybe he “grows up” completely apathetic to others later on in the series.