Reviews for Whiskey
ehqueue chapter 1 . 4/15/2012
Love it! Mal and River are the best and I love the (intentional?) joke about Mal's "parts" pointing ;)

Thanks for posting!
Duchess of Strumpetness chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
Perfect way of looking at it, very well done. More please :)
Floating-Angel chapter 1 . 7/27/2010
I love how you got the Mel-speak just right. The people in Firefly have an odd cadence to their wording that can be very hard to catch properly in writing. You struck it head on and made it so much within his character that I'll probably be picturing this scene next time I watch one of the episodes.
Mineral-Soul-Bottle chapter 1 . 5/29/2009
This is an interesting take... Although I don't think Mal would be so...unsure? Like he's a rather no bull* kind of guy, so if he finds it wrong to be with River he wont whether she feels the attraction too or not. If he is thinks the only thing hindering him, age difference, isn't important, then he'll be okay with it. Plus he wont care what the others think...I guess.
yesimadramaqueen chapter 1 . 1/26/2009
very clever. i really enjoyed it. great job ]
just slummin chapter 1 . 9/1/2006
Usually not a Mal/River fan, but this is very convincing. May have to change my perspective a bit!
Goomba chapter 1 . 8/10/2006
Very VERY good story, didn't miss the chinese at all. Keep up this sweet sin.

Cheers Jen
Miri Tiazan chapter 1 . 8/9/2006
I am unsure how I feel about this. It's an intriguing internal monologue, and Mal's voice starts off really strong and interesting and clever and funny. But then right after the "wrong's starting to look better and better" it seems to sort of lose it. It doesn't sound like Mal anymore.

I really like the wine/whiskey metaphor, and I like that Inara is calculated into the equation, 'cause by ignoring her in any Mal pairing the author's leaving something out. She's got to be accounted for. And I love Mal's voice in the first two-thirds. It's just the right sort of prickly, defensive of his defensiveness, grumbling quirky dialogue that makes Mal such a great character. But what's missing for me in this piece is the why. "Wrong's starting to look better and better." Why? What is it about her that has him so turned around? It just doesn't click for me, somehow; I'm not convinced.

It could be me. Somehow I have this vision of a Mal/River pairing as one where River is fascinated with Mal, and Mal is stubbornly oblivious until River bangs him over the head with it. I've pretty much got Mal pegged as stubbornly oblivious all over when it comes to his personal life. So perhaps this is a case of a difference in interpretation.

There's a lot to like about this ficlet, the metaphor you're using as your premise a decided plus. But somehow it doesn't take me all the way there. Mostly I am tantalized by speculation as to what lies behind this interesting piece of introspection, where the attraction first came from. That might be something worth exploring. I love your Firefly ficlets, though; I'm always wanting more, so I suppose this isn't such an exception.
japanese-jew chapter 1 . 7/30/2006
Well, that's ONE way to prevent people from reading your mind. Be drunk and horny.
NewbiaTheElf chapter 1 . 7/29/2006
Great story! I really liked it. _ I'm not a Mal/River fan in the slightest, but it was still fun to read.

I liked how you managed to get down Mal's voice most the time-it did slip sometimes into regular narrative, which was distracting. That's the one thing in the story that needs work.

And yes, Oscar Wilde definitely IS the yummiestgaylove ever. :D But that's hardly news.
BlueEyedBrigadier chapter 1 . 7/28/2006
Oh...you gotta love it when Mal gets all poetical about things;)

Definitely can see Mal's point about River being like whiskey to Inara's fine wine or champagne...though sometimes I wonder why Mal chooses to remember Book's words about the Special Hell and not other lessons;)

BEB
sparkley-tangerine chapter 1 . 7/28/2006
nice one shot there. Very incharacter and interesting. *giggles* hard ot keep a secret around a mind reader huh? Imagaine what River is putting up with every day?