Reviews for The Shadow
Guest chapter 5 . 11/10/2016
awesome
PhantomFemme du Pantages chapter 5 . 7/5/2010
Love it! I particularly like the job you've done blending the feel of the pulp-novels with the characterization of the Shadow from the 1994 movie, which, by the way, is my favourite version! Excellent job harmonizing the two versions of his back-story too! I wondered how you were going to handle that! My only complaint, though, would be that Margot comes across as a bit of a dits. And the thing I liked most about her in the 1994 movie was that, although she could play the "dumb blonde", she had a really sharp mind and wit underneath, which, combined with her own mental powers, was what made her such a good match for the Shadow. Oh! And watch your spelling and grammar. Your style is excellent, but I'm noticing a lot of typos and gramatical errors.

Great job though! I can't wait for more!
Michael Howard chapter 5 . 9/30/2009
"Be nice, be harsh, be whatever. Just be honest."

All right then, the good and the bad; here it is:

First I want to say, I really liked this story and hope you some day resume writing it. All the posted chapters were enjoyable, this last one most of all. There were some truly memorable lines here such as:

"Much like the owner, the mansion had no trouble showing different versions of itself."

And also:

"(P)erhaps you need to relish this dark persona instead of ridding yourself of it? Perhaps.”

The bad? There were enough typos, or more specifically words used incorrectly like 'to' for 'too' and 'know' for 'now' to distract from the narrative drive at times. And you consistently wrote 'plaque' when I believe you meant 'plague.'

But those were very minor points. The real problem I have here is that you stated this story would be faithful to the pulp magazine incarnation of The Shadow when in fact I can't remember a single instance when you didn't use the movie version of the lead character or the supporting cast.

It's fan fiction here we're dealing with of course, and you can/should utilize whatever elements of The Shadow's seventy-odd year existence appeal to you. But if you make a claim that you're going for Version A and then repeatedly contradict that version, then the reader will be confused or disappointed.

Still and all, however unfaithful to Walter Gibson's concept this story may have been, I still found it quite entertaining and hope for a continuation in the near future.
Michael Howard chapter 4 . 9/23/2009
This isn't your grandfather's Shadow, to paraphrase an old car commercial, but it is very interesting in its own way. The internal "conversation" was well done and I am certainly intrigued by the glimpse of the "real" Lamont Cranston.

Looking forward to what comes next.
Michael Howard chapter 3 . 9/15/2009
The Kobra Klub - or what's left of them at least - certainly contains a higher caliber criminal than The Shadow usually encounters. Looking forward to finding out more about them. Oh, and a longer meeting between Margot and Lamont will be good, too!
Michael Howard chapter 2 . 9/1/2009
Another good chapter here, with The Shadow crashing the gangster hotel in a way that Walter Gibson would thoroughly approve of.

Looking forward to learning about Margo (or if you prefer Margot) Lane!
Michael Howard chapter 1 . 8/23/2009
Well, it threw me for a moment to read about Lamont Cranston giving someone a "broad smile," and of course there would be no speakeasies in 1938 since Prohibition had ended years before. But those quibbles aside, I still liked this opening installment quite a bit. The narrative flowed smoothly and the idea of The Shadow interacting with a historical figure like NYC Mayor LaGuardia - which I believe never happened in any of the hundreds of pulp magazines authored by Walter Gibson - is certainly intriguing.

Interested in seeing what comes next.
n9voc chapter 5 . 5/18/2009
VERY well done. I am a Shadow fan from WAY back, and have enjoyed this "take" on the character. I am sorry to see the story stop here - there are SO many possibilities from this point. Kudos! Well done!
bluedragon1836 chapter 5 . 12/1/2007
post way faster.
Malicean chapter 5 . 11/27/2007
Found this a few months ago, thought it was abandoned. Good to see it's still alive.

Haven't met Kent Allard in a long time, interessting take on the story, keep it on! Though I prefer Lamont Cranston to be either the harmless fool of the old pulps or the main hero himself, I can live with this version, too.
DARK KNIGHT of the MOON chapter 1 . 9/5/2007
I enjoyed this story! I like the way you let it go at the end! Leave it unfinished... That builds more mystery towards the Shadow.

Everything is very accurate!

Great READ...

- Greg Daulton
bluedragon1836 chapter 4 . 3/18/2007
PLEASE DON'T STOP!11
bluedragon1836 chapter 1 . 3/10/2007
Oh my gosh, another Shadow fan! I love the Shadow. I was first introduced to him at the library when I checked out a cd of the radio show. Been a fan ever since. Are the comics good? Do you know where I could find them? I have seen about the first thirty minutes or so of the movie, but not the whole thing. I want to see it though, is it good? I know I have tons of questions but I've never found another Shadow fan anywhere. I absolutely love your story.
Paddington chapter 4 . 1/17/2007
Please .please continue this! I really like this!
Paddington chapter 3 . 1/17/2007