Reviews for Path of Restoration
Bubblekins1010 chapter 97 . 6/9/2014
MWA HA! I FINISHED! And... it's 1:30 in the morning... Ooops...Oh well, totally worth it! Anyways, this was a Really great story, I'll be headed for the next book tomorrow! Preferably noy ay 1:30 in the morning. XD .
Bubblekins1010 chapter 92 . 5/19/2014
DARN! I thought that Lloydy was gonna get hurt, and Kratee was gonna go cwazy about it! Cause then the angels would've had les than no chance, their chance of survival would have been in the NEGATIVE. Oh well. AWESOME BATTLE SCENE! (Oh and why are you beating Genis up so much...?
Bubblekins1010 chapter 91 . 5/19/2014
COOLEO! You got them married! Alright now someone's gotta beat that! 1 minute warning? 1 minutes warning anyone? Maybe Lloyd when he finally finds a girl! (Unless, he maybe marries Colette... But I don't think that's what'll happen considering.)
Bubblekins1010 chapter 90 . 5/17/2014
G-G-G-G-G-G-GEEEEEEENNNNNNNIIIIIIISSSSSS! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Glon Morski chapter 97 . 5/7/2014
Wow. That's all I can say. Simply wow.

I haven't read the other 'Restoration' books yet. Maybe I should have, maybe not. I'll probably go read Prequel and Hope soon though. I mean, with how great this story had been, it only stands to reason to expect the other two are great as well. It's rare to find stories THIS good on here - this is the first one in AGES that had me hooked for four or five days straight and cursing studies whenever I had to do that instead of reading LOL

And no, I'm not exaggerating. I loved everything about this story. While the plot might more or less follow the game, there was enough significant changes to it to make it more than just interesting anyway. Your portrayal of the characters is also great, the change in some of theirs past making them even more likable than they were in the game - like Zelos, for instance, who in this story quickly became one of my top favorite list. Seriously, the way you portrayed him was simply amazing. Lest but not least, there are your whole new cast of OCs. While those usualy annoy me in a fanfiction, you've actually managed to create OCs who aren't annoying, repetitive and unoriginal and that's a huge plus. The only minus was that there were a few references and other things a bit poorly explained, but then again, those were about the previous two books, so I only have to blame mystef for not reading those first. I will soon, though. And the fourth will follow. Looking at how fast you wrote the other three, I think it's safe to assume it's finished already :3

On another note, there was just one slight discordance in chapter 95 - first, you once called Lloyd a 'Nartu' there, while he was alreasy and Inartu by that point. Minor thing, everyone can met a typo slip sometimes. What bugged me was the fact that on the way to Origin's seal, Zelos obviously wasn't acting when asking Lloyd what was wrong. It just didn't make sense considering the fact that back right before the pact with Efreet, Noishe actually told Zelos about Kratos' life being tied to Origin's seal, which in turn made Zelos swear to use his Cruxis Crystal to stay with Lloyd if anything went wrong. Just htought I'd point it out... even if I'm not entierly sure if you'll ever read this review given how long it's been since this story is over and done with.

On that note, I can't believe how seriously underrated it is. You deserve so much more feedback for it than you got. This is seriously a pearl left behind hidden among countless grains of sand and it's a shame only so very few people seem to have found it. One of the best stories, if not one of the best pieces of Fantasy Literature I've ever read (and trust me, I've read a lot, I'm a known bookworm ;)). Hope you keep writing :3 Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Sincerely,

Glon Morski
UK-Underworld King chapter 97 . 3/15/2014
Looked over your three fic series and as I look back on all that I've read, I have come to a conclusion that might differ from everybody else. But, as I said, it's my opinion.
This series had a very promising start with new races, concepts and whatnot. It was a very interesting semi-AU take on the Kharlan War and its consequences. But the final execution of it all (a.k.a. the "game" book)...
The first one was a good introduction. The second had it's slow moments and such, but it was still nice. But the third felt like it started showing problems in the story and things that I had never noticed in the two other fics started to appear here, making go over the previous two again just to check if I wasn't making things up.
So, let's start with these:
1 - The Alurannai themselves. I can't believe I'm going to write this, but the guys are a Mary Sue race. Seriously, I wish I could say I'm crazy or over analytic, but when I look at their powers, their planning and presence through the entire series, I'm forced to say this. I'll present the evidence I found:
First, their powers. To quote Mithos "the few of them are enough to destroy the entire population of angels Cruxis possess" (I know it isn't accurate, but that is in essence what he speaks). So, that means Cruxis can't even be considered a threat anymore, because all the Alurannai need to do was confront them and BAM! No more Cruxis.
This is even more evidenced in the fact Lloyd easily took on Pronyma by himself and Kratos fought Mithos without any difficulty at all in the end. And since the two are supposed to be these big bad bosses this was anti-climatic to the max. And if it wasn't enough, the Alurannai have their OWN Summon Spirit which is the ACTUAL King of the Summon Spirits instead of Origin and could probably vaporize the entire Tower of Salvation in one shoot. Now that I look at it, it screams favoritism, not even mentioning the whole "children of the Kharlan Tree" thing. Nothing in Aselia could beat them, even the Mana Cannon, which they simply teleported to and razed to the ground. The only thing holding them back was the Great Seed in Mithos' possession that, if you take into perspective, end up sounding more like a plot break to keep Cruxis existing.
Second, their knowledge. They know EVERYTHING! They knew what could happen and when and they planned for it to the point of perfection. That took away all the feeling of urgency in some of the most crucial parts of the third fic like the Sylvarant beggining arc and even after. Only when Colette was captured did we actually got the feeling a threat was on the way.
Other dramatic events in the game such as the berserk Great Seed didn't have an impact at all, since the Alurannai already knew it was going to happen and prepared for it. The only thing they didn't know was Mithos going psycho, but that was a mandatory plot point that HAD to be that way, otherwise there would be no plot at all.
Third, their inherent goodness. The Alurannai are NEVER portrayed in a bad light in this series. EVER. I've searched through the fics and they are the absolute good guys that can do no wrong, like they aren't subjected to the problems and dilemmas most other races face. They are on a higher moral scale, so they are always right.
I was expecting that maybe there would be something (let's say, one of the game's quest or something, like the Devil Arms one) that would indicate they can make mistakes like any other being in the course of the story, but the closest we got to it was not knowing that Mithos would take the Great Seed for himself (which, as stated previously, HAD to happen) and not interfering the War. Couldn't there be someone in their tribe that became traitor and agreed to Mithos' ideals that the humans are the cause of everything that went wrong? Or maybe one of their ancients that became evil and was sealed only to be revived by conflict? Or something else that could say that they can be *human*. Note: I'm referring to the idea of humanity like in sentient, morally evolving beings where your choices and actions can be called into question, thus making you think about what you do and if it is indeed good for everybody. If you already know what is going to happen and your morals can never be questioned because they are always right there is no evolution, only stagnancy. Either that or you live in higher plane of existence, other than the mortal one, where perfection is attainable.
The impression I had was that the Alurannai are the ones that can never go wrong and can never be questioned, since they are always right, know what is the best for everybody and could be put in the same moral pedestal of civilizations as the Summon Spirits, and these guys are guardian entities rather than mere mortals.
2 - The plot in this third fic and the pacing became incredibly slow to the point there is no urgency in almost anything. The fic actually took two years, complete with birthdays, holidays, time for religious rituals, etc. Some times it felt like they were simply strolling around sightseeing instead of saving the world from imminent destruction (which wouldn't even happen in the first place). They could even sit back and relax because the Alurannai or even the Renegades were picking up all the slack for them. The only things they would effectively need to do were the key plot points such as summoning pacts and going from town to town to collect party members. The other key plot points such as Colette's disease, Presea and the Mana Cannon where they participated felt like they were there just because "the game had them".
3 - Character development absent in some cases. I feel like since it had so much focus on the Alurannai and since they had their hand in practically everything from start to finish (even in events that happened before everything, like the construction of the Summon Spirit temples) some characters got neglected in this third part. Few, but noticeable. Most notable was Mithos.
In the games we had the entire Mithos/Genis bound which added a tense ingredient and made you think about the plot and who was right in the end. The party also came to care for Mithos and often had second thoughts and Mithos himself exhibited some second thoughts as he interacted with them, which gave him depth. In this series that was explored in the first story, completely forgotten in the second and thrown out of the window in this one to the point Mithos just became "that bad guy" which the group had to defeat and the only one in the party that actually cared for him was Kratos. Even so, there was no special depth in him, no development outside some of the scenes from the game. I think the word would be "sub-generic" since the fic not only didn't give him a perspective outside of what we already saw through the games, it actually downplayed his role as a character.
Taking all of this into consideration, the Restoration series is one that had good potential from the start, but as the plot advanced felt like it didn't live up to it. The problem could be pointed that it had to follow the line of the game and since it isn't an action fic we couldn't have a nice, final boss battle or special boss battles in general, but I think the bigger problem came in the over exposition the Alurannai had. The guys practically had the monopoly of the plot and character development so much that anybody that wasn't aligned with them could be swept aside. Even if it didn't have the same awe of conflict and discussion on morals and right and wrong the game had, the fact that Alurannai are always right on any moral issue that might come up and are omnipresent is probably what make this final part not live up to the expectations one might have built up.
At least, that's my opinion. Do with it what you might think.
Later!
Bubblekins1010 chapter 84 . 3/6/2014
Good bye Breuntas... You've done what you had to, and now they will be able to do what they have to as well... (Dang you were an awesome character...)
Bubblekins1010 chapter 77 . 3/6/2014
... Botta is in TROUBLE ...
Bubblekins1010 chapter 73 . 3/5/2014
*Lloyd earns the "Kid brother" title- Zelos earns the "Annoying big brother" title.* Meh not really, but they should have done that! (Previous game which me my sister and our friend finished Saturday March 1st was a Zelos game.)
Bubblekins1010 chapter 67 . 3/4/2014
BWA HA HA HA HA! THAT WAS PRICELESS! I loved it! This is AWESOME!
kattycha01 chapter 18 . 10/28/2013
OH GOD. The PLOT TWIST!

You are a master of those.
Bubblekins1010 chapter 30 . 9/22/2013
First of all
THIS WAS LONG! BUT TOTALLY WORHT THE TIME IT TOOK!
Second of all
I am officially re-hooked on ToS fanfiction now!
Third of all
*Takes big breath* KRRRRRAAAAAATTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! YOU'RE BACK! And the line you used was TOTALLY WICKED!
Fourth of all
Wow, I used a lot of CAPS...
Bubblekins1010 chapter 20 . 9/9/2013
Fly fast, Kratee...Fly like the wind! Or the Mana currents under your wings...
Bubblekins1010 chapter 19 . 9/9/2013
MWA HA HA HA HA! FUTER FUFF! YESSSS!
Bubblekins1010 chapter 18 . 9/9/2013
So...Sheenee is Alysii, and Vayla is Sheenee/Alysii's mother...And Sheenee/Alysii is trying to kill them...Intresting...ANd it all makes sense with what the fortune teller said. Both will have to play a part.