Reviews for Who Watches the Watch?
Falero lero lero chapter 7 . 6/5/2013
Why not slasH? I like your story hetero
VimesLady chapter 7 . 1/2/2007
Showing the mob from Noakes viewpoint was well done. It hadn't occurred to me that from what he saw he would think that the Watch had organized the mob rather than trying to protect him from it. The bit with the badge is really moving. I guess he ran in the first place because he panicked when he heard the woman yell "Murder!". Though I'm having a bit more difficulty understanding how he himself didn't really know what had happened.

I like the way you showed throughout the story that the prejudice against Noakes being gay made it easier for some people to believe he was guilty.

I really love how you didn't immediately let us know what Vimes and Angua found out from Quent. The scene with them leaving his flat is such a WTF moment and, for a mystery, that is a good thing. The way you dole out portions of the conversation on the Disorganizer is really effective.

You did a good job of making us suspect other characters. And I liked the bit where Walby Birkett was grabbed. Unfortunately, I had to go back searching through the whole story to remember who Edna Winslow was.

The thing with the carts being parked was clever.

“‘Bugger this for a game of soldiers’?” made me giggle.

Through the entire story I never guessed what had happened, and I suspected several different people. (I certainly would have suspected Noakes as well if I didn't know that author likes him so well!) And that's what a mystery aims for, right?
Fan of Pterry chapter 7 . 1/1/2007
I reviewed earlier saying I wasn’t going to read this now because I knew how it ended, but that didn’t seem fair to you because you didn’t exactly ask for someone to ruin the ending.

I thought this story was nice. I was hooked from the very beginning and genuinely wanted to finish it. That’s no mean feat, I can tell you.

The characterizations were well done, especially Colon and Nobby who I don’t think we see enough of.

Normally I eschew original characters because, with so many great characters already in Discworld, why bother? But yours fitted in well, and I liked how the plot unfolded around him. Actually, it’s hard to see how a Discworld character would have fitted in his place.

All in all, I thought this was a very good attempt at a murder mystery, and I hope you continue writing.
grey eyed blond chapter 7 . 12/28/2006
it's really quite nicely written. some SPG was a little bit off, and maybe you caould have done with some

you know, to indicate a time lapse or scene shift. but on the whole, very well done. Murder mystery is probably the hardest genre to write, alongside really good comedy (because anyone can write a really bad comedy, can't they?)and good romance (ditto). i was very angry with myself because, being a contrary mule, i read the reviews before looking at the story. damn that ignorant sod! oh, well, i will learn. keep writing.
Fan of Pterry chapter 7 . 12/28/2006
It's such a shame someone ruined the ending of this story for those of us who haven't read it yet. I always read the reviews first to find out if a story is worth reading. Looking at the other reviews, I think this one probably was. But I won't be reading it now as there's really no point.

You are not the only author this has happened to on this site. It's no wonder there are so few decent writers left here now. I myself left long ago.

I do hope one review won't put you off writing more stories though. :-)

Potential readers... stop reading now - spoilers ahead!
Badge177 chapter 6 . 12/27/2006
Countless hours were spent on this fic. It was edited, spell-checked, grammar-checked, plot-checked and even rewritten before posting. All this was done purely for the enjoyment of others. All that was asked in return was that no one spoiled the ending.

Thank you MJ MOD for doing just that.
MJ MOD chapter 6 . 12/27/2006
You got me there! I was sure it was Noakes but it's another witness. Is Ainsley really the murderer?
MJ MOD chapter 5 . 12/27/2006
"they were being unethical in an honest and useful way"

Typical Morporkiens! LOL So like Pratchett that comment.

I'm sure it's Noakes who's come in the Watch House.
MJ MOD chapter 4 . 12/27/2006
Ep! Don't let the mob catch Noakes!
MJ MOD chapter 3 . 12/27/2006
Poor Noakes, a lot of people are accusing him of the murder when he's innocent. He should go to Vimes to help clear his name.
Badge177 chapter 7 . 12/27/2006
MJ MOD: Thank you for your review(s). The reason the witness has gone into hiding rather than go to the Watch for protection is because Noakes is a watchman himself. She doesn't trust them.

There will be a lot more questions popping up before the end of the fic (it is a mystery story, after all) so it may be a good idea to read it in its entirety before reviewing, or you may be here all day! ;-D

And please try not to give anything away when you review! Thank you!
MJ MOD chapter 2 . 12/27/2006
They've picked up Noakes' trail on the roof? Strange. The witness is into hiding? How stupid of her, she should have asked the Watch to protect her.
MJ MOD chapter 1 . 12/27/2006
We know Noakes is innocent, what did the woman really see? I don't trust witnesses, I've had neighbors who were seeing through walls in the darkness when they weren't even there too.
Twist chapter 7 . 12/22/2006
Dude, I am so sorry I missed this fic. This is . . . awesomeness. I loved every minute of it. Kept me on edge right up until the end of the whole thing. And I lol'd so hard at Nobby's last line . . .

:D Good job!
Abacus 777 chapter 7 . 11/26/2006
Very clever! I definitely didn't see that coming. But everything fell into place, and Noake's actions made perfect sense once you knew what had happened. Very nice mystery story. I shall look forward to reading more of your work.