Reviews for The Olive Tree
Norrsken chapter 1 . 8/21/2008
This is so beautiful. Your imagery of Hephaestion like a young God under the Olive Tree is most enticing. He offers Alexander some well needed support and comfort. The Macedonian Court intrigues are trying and dangerous. Attalus taunts him in a dangerous manner, provoking his quarrel with Philip. It is cruel and revealing. One can clearly see the Illyrian Exile looming in the near future.

All the best wishes and many thanks for sharing,

/ NorthernLight
immovinout chapter 1 . 12/21/2007
Lovely. Really. :D
Tastytime chapter 1 . 11/8/2006
Definitly my favourite of all the works of yours that I have read. There was a peculiar simplicity to this work, that struck me more than anything else. Hephaestion is a dreamer that is clear, someone who has trouble seperating truth and reality, and that gives the whole piece a dreamy haze. I'm putting this in Favourite Story for that alone. I am very jealous of the fact that you had Philip interested in Hephaestion, since I was pleased that I hadn't found one of those stories yet, and had thus inserted such an instance in my own Forgotten Lakes. Damn you _ Anyhow, again, I enjoyed it very much.
Baliansword chapter 1 . 8/8/2006
Wonderful. Realistic. A great read. Read more from you soon I hope.

Baliansword
stonestepper chapter 1 . 8/6/2006
This is one of the best written stories in our A/H community. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

Wendy
angstman chapter 1 . 8/5/2006
you would not end here, would you? Please continue this, I wander what will happen "tonight" and also the story is very interesting. I want to know more about evil Attalus and what Phillip's motive?
Hephaistion chapter 1 . 8/4/2006
What a nice and well written story, thank you very much! It was pure joy to read it! And it shows again: A good story doesn't need any hardcore "things" ;-)
CoralDawn chapter 1 . 8/4/2006
One of the best A/H stories I have read! I have seen very few (or none?) stories about the highly interesting political events (and people) and power plays that conspired to make the relationship between Alexander and Philip so strained in the last two years of Philip's life. And which somewhat marginalized Alexander and his friends in Court and that probably led to Alexander offering himself as son-in-law to Pixodorus. I have read a lot of scenarios where it is all about Olympias being pettily jealous of Cleopatra (whereas she had not been jealous of Nicesipolis or Meda before!) But later events do point to Attalus starting to exert his influence on Philip through the mid-life infatuation with his niece. Also very nice tie-in to Amyntas being disgruntled, perhaps plotting with the Lynkestrians and Philip trying to appease him by offering him his daughter Cynane in marriage. So, a very intriguing time period to choose for your story and show how precarious Alexander's position was becoming. Also, good touch on making Cleopatra pregnant before her marriage to Philip - that explains two babies before Philip died - Europe and the baby boy.

Your Hephaistion is lovely and unusual here. Very innocent, head full of dreams and heroic stories, and completely believing in a divine destiny for Alexander, and yet wise and understanding fully the power struggles in play. Also completely in tune with Alexander the man and not the prince. Beautiful and totally devoted to Alexander (the description of him sleeping naked on his chlamys under that olive tree, is one of the most gorgeous I have ever read!) One can't help but feel that the real H. may have been exactly like that, especially when young. Also, I loved the entire conversation between the two - no barriers, no pretensions, deadly serious, teasing all at once - like talking to one's other self.

This story is practically perfect in every way! Please write more! I am completely addicted to your A/H world!

By the way, chLAMys, isn't it?