Reviews for Illumination
AryYuna chapter 1 . 7/26/2012
Angst, angst, angst. Because we all love an angsty-Logan, don't we? XD

I think it's great the way you describe Logan's thoughts and feelings, you really make me feel them.

"...and yet... she comes, still"
What more is there to say, when you write such a beautiful sentence? The way you write about Logan and Max is really sweet.

Great, wonderful. Lovely!
Long Live BRUCAS chapter 1 . 10/19/2011
Like his thoughts very deep and true. Max never saw the "chair". She only always saw him as a person. Just like he saw her a a real person.

Very good.
BerryEbilBunny chapter 1 . 5/18/2011
That was good. Very nice. I would be a liar if I didn't say anything of: I LOVED it.
SavvyRavenclaw20 chapter 1 . 9/24/2006
WOW, that was amazingly good! I've never read a story that almost 99% thoughts. Great job on that! And the good thing is that it actually sounded like Logan talking which is even better!

Kyre chapter 1 . 9/9/2006
Ooh, very nice. I really like the way you wrote this: "I used to be this...and now...and I used to be that...and now..." I also like the way you've decided he used to act, think, and work. I'm not sure I agree that EO was *all* him before, but it's possible, and I might agree with it more after I think about it. I also don't agree that he didn't do much of the computer work before; once a geek, always a geek ;) and anyway in order to protect his safety he would have had to be doing a lot of the computer work IMO.

But, again, too tired to think about it right now. lol

"I used to unwind from a long week on a sailboat or a quick flight to the islands..."

Those things used to

Love the thoughts about Max and her line to Logan: "I wanted to come hang out with someone who thinks." So not only is she looking for someone intelligent, or at least someone serious, but Logan was until that moment lamenting that thinking was all he could do - and now that's what she wants. She said just the right thing.

Nicely done.
0101010 chapter 1 . 8/16/2006
Hey there! Haven't been treating myself to much FFN for a long time-still writing un-fun thesis stuff-but just dropped in for a little treat and found this-really liked it. I enjoyed how you interspersed the actual happenings so sparsely through L's thoughts-kind of a unique approach. Thanks!
moms5thchild chapter 1 . 8/14/2006
My goodness, how did I miss this. Seemd incredible but I left you off my author alert list, but that has been rectified.

As usual, your prose are crisp, to the point and heart wrenching. Someday, that boy is going to have to see himself through Max's bright, uncompromising eyes instead of his own. He might just see the man he is.
ilaria89 chapter 1 . 8/11/2006
Beautiful fanfic!

I loved it! I love Logan and his relationship with Max...
Koru chapter 1 . 8/10/2006
Your writing skills have ceased to impress me. Now they amaze me.

The fact that you can create a multi-faceted Logan Cale that is actually believable is a phenomenon worthy of a parade, in my opinion. It seems to me that too many people portray Logan as two-dimensional, a creature with no contradictions. I am eternally grateful that someone seems to truly understand Logan's pathology...

Mari-san is also included in that category, of course.

If you are not published yet, please do so. The world could use a writer like you.

With all due respect,

WinifredONiel chapter 1 . 8/9/2006
VERY nice! Moody, filled with whirling thoughts & emotions felt by two people who are not prone to open displays of affection. While reading, you can really feel Logan's now habitual guardedness at war with the tiny sparks of hope inside. Very true to the characters as presented and yet, so much more. This story is what makes the best fanfic so worthwhile ... getting deeper into the characters than the show does, taking two-dimensional people and bringing them to full-blown life. Thanks for the terrific read.
annie200 chapter 1 . 8/8/2006
This was so interesting to see Logan's personality evolving, and also his own realisation that maybe something has been gained from the shooting as well as everything he's lost.
BlueAngel137 chapter 1 . 8/7/2006
Beautiful, very deep and very in character. I completely agree with Mouse and Mari. Love it. Thanks.
Me chapter 1 . 8/6/2006
Very nice! I never know what to say in my reviews except that I love it. I feel like I am not living up to your expectations by saying so little but yet it means so much. Thank you!
lilmouse chapter 1 . 8/6/2006
I've tried twice now to submit a review for this story.

Let's hope the third time is the charm...

Once again, I could cut and paste the whole thing here - that'd test the limits of FFN, wouldn't it ;) - but suffice it to say Logan's thoughts are wonderful, very in-character, subtle, yearning for the normalacy that he doesn't have anymore.

Max's interruption of those thoughts is super, very in-character and the whole mood is amazing. The lay-out of the story, with Logan's thoughts in italaics and his conversation with Max in regular text is vey effective, as well as the bolding to highlight the different areas his thoughts are taking him.

I have to dash but didn't want to wait to try to review later when I seem to have a connection now.

I don't know if you plan on continuing with this or just leaving it as a one-shot. Great either way, though more of your writing is always a good thing. :)

Favourite part? Do I have time? I'll make time...

I used to play basketball, all six feet two inches going for lay-ups and jump shots, where the sounds on hardwood were rubber soles, not rubber wheels...

(His height is something you can sometimes forget about, since in the DA fiction I tend to read Logan is, more often than not, predominantly in the wheelchair. Important to remember this change for him, along with others, that folks with fully-functional bodies take for granted. This applies to all his points actually, but I particulalrly liked the line I have copied above.)

The show now goes on outside the walls of this hushed penthouse where I sit, where I ‘run’ only through headsets and microphones, through satellite hook-ups and cell phones. The show goes on without me... around me... despite me...

(Ah, being in control... Whether it is Eyes Only or just Life in general, his level of control has definately shifted. Very well described.)

“Whatcha doin’?”

I feel myself smile, despite the last few minutes. She can do that to me... “Thinking,” I try. Maybe she’ll buy it...

“Looks painful,” she snorts.

(Beautiful. Perfect, brief summary of what he was doing before she arrived and an unwittingly correct summary by Max of how painful those thoughts really were.)

She shakes her head, then looks back at me. Something in her eyes vibrates in my chest, telling me it didn’t matter what look I saw in others’ eyes, as long as she kept this look in hers ... and she says, “I decided I wanted to come hang out with someone who ... thinks.”

(Lovely. Logan is the whole package and though I can understand why Crash has some allure, hanging with him is a much better deal.)

Thank you, shywr1ter. I look forward to more insights from you on our favourite protagonists.

Mouse :)
Mari83 chapter 1 . 8/6/2006
Just when I thought that there hasn’t been a story from you for some time…

This is so beautiful! (And I feel honoured and more than flattered to get a mention in your A/N!)

I can perfectly picture the scene, Logan alone in the penthouse, lost in thoughts in front of the windows when Max comes in. I guess this is just one of many moments when work is no distraction for Logan and he thinks about the changes in his life, “in a darker mood”, but not on the verge of committing suicide yet. Good thing Max decided to come by…

The way this started pretty gloomy and then lightens up although Logan’s situation hasn’t changed is just great. The last sentence shows this so perfectly with Logan realizing that something good can come of having to slow down. So the title has more than one meaning I guess...

“My hips and knees and ankles were part of the machine”

It really is a perfect picture and I could just quote your review from yesterday.

“not a philosophy-spouting bodyguard with a schedule of his own”

Nice description of Bling.

Great contrast between the “used to be” and the “now” , listing what he was and what he _thinks_ isn’t anymore: not “whole”, worth less because he can’t do his own “leg work” anymore, someone who gets pitying stares instead of admiring ones…

“...and yet... she comes, still: agile, vital... eyes dark and deep and smiling as she comes near, warm and caring and here, looking me in the eye to see me, not the chair, not what I can’t do... a look in her eyes reminiscent of the ‘interest and appreciation’ that I used to take for granted...? She sits close, unafraid of the chair... she sits, to talk with me, sits so we can be eye to eye. Does she know how important that is now?“

I love this whole part about Max, the way you point out her different behaviour towards Logan and – even better – how she probably just acts this way without even starting to be afraid of the chair or having to remind herself to treat Logan in a normal way.

“She shrugs in that street-tough way that just makes her look more vulnerable to me, knowing what I know about her.”

Just beautiful and a nice way to point out that Logan, too, sees the real Max and not her tough outside.

“Thinking,” I try. “Looks painful,” she snorts.”

Sounds very much like Max:-)

This might be another over-interpretation from my side: Knowing Logan, Max probably has an idea what the “painful” things are but neither does pity him nor dismisses his thoughts as not important.

“The least I can do is turn away from the window and face her, let her know she has my full attention now”

Nice little detail because, for me, it shows that luckily he’s not that self-involved that he can’t enjoy Max company or acknowledge how special she is. (Instead of trying to kick Max out of the apartment by ignoring her like a certain someone has him do;-)

“I decided I wanted to come hang out with someone who ... thinks.”

My favourite part in here. It’s such a nice wordplay with his “thinking”-answer – and it’s an unobtrusive, in-character way for Max to show Logan what she values most about him: not his good-looking outside but his caring, thinking inside that certainly hasn’t been diminished by his injury.

How is this almost-as-long-as-your-story-review for wallowing? I just as well could have copied the whole thing:-p