Reviews for The Mistakes They Make
ShadowWriter33 chapter 7 . 5/23
Very interesting take on the changed future, but ultimately I liked it. Good job!
Alisha chapter 7 . 6/23/2015
This Was Amazing And Heart Wrenching
gabyhyatt chapter 7 . 12/15/2014
GOOD FIC
lisse chapter 1 . 12/27/2013
I feel ambivalent towards this story for a few reasons: I think you wrote this well and I thought the situation was a realistic possibility. Your depiction of familial dynamics was pretty good. There was a tendency to woobify Chris's situation, as many stories do, but I mostly forgave that because you didn't really villainize anyone and because as I like seeing the characters I love in angsty situations that make my heart hurt and that's how I felt about Chris.

On the flip side, however, I am a law student who believes in precedence, facts, and thusly, canon characterization (and the precedence it presents) is very important to me, especially in stories with such realistic portrayals of potential dynamics. And therein lies my problem: I cannot see Piper behaving this way with the child she raised nor can I see her voicing the things she voices aloud, at least. My brain just refuses to process that as being Piper as a mother. So, even while I enjoyed the angst and the realism, I can't really reconcile Piper's characterization to the Piper I knew.

While I'm sure Chris's appearance as a young adult would trigger memories of the other Chris, I...can't really see her having such a rancorous reaction to him because of that trigger. And, not for nothing, though we were never shown Piper mourning for Chris when he died, there is subtext that she did and there was also the fact that they parted on good terms and she did try to be be his mother for him when she could've easily let him avoid her or let him not be hers especially when that's what he was doing? But, she wanted to be called mom and wanted to know why he kept pushing her out and worried about him.

I also do think that they would clash as he grew older because of their personalities and I can see her seeing him behave like past Chris and being wary for reasons (triggering because of past Chris's secretive nature and how she reacted to that, the fact that past Chris died young etc). But, I can't see her putting past Chris's actions on Chris's head to the extent she does here and if she's vocalizing it aloud and in her head, it's a fact that she's aware of and, like, I can't see ignoring that for years if she's aware of it, especially if it affects her ability to be a good mother to him. idk idk I guess in my lizard brain this came off as Piper resenting present Chris for being like the other Chris and treating him poorly for it, like she really disliked or resented other Chris or smth. That's lizard brains for ya.

I'm not addressing any other dynamics because I thought you did great with them and because Piper's my girl and because this is one of my favorite relationships on the show, second only to Piper/Prue and the sisters' relationship in general, that I wrote this long ass review/essay.

Of course, this is your story and your creative right to interpret the narrative, but I guess it's the fact that premise of the story is actually really good and well-written that makes me even brings this up. Like, ignoring context, I love the hyper-realistic dynamics (ouch a parent admitting they don't like their child is super hurtful and it should never be vocalized as it can be scarring...but it happens) and the way you wrote it, but it's when I try to connect that to canonical dynamics, that I become ambivalent. It's actually a mark of your good writing that I'm even addressing this whereas most times I just ignore the issues I have with fanfic - mostly characterization - and never even bother to write a review because it doesn't matter to me enough to do so. I do really like your take though because it is a fascinating premise.
DemeRain chapter 7 . 12/11/2013
Wow ... that was intense and brilliant. Thanks for sharing.
l3largus chapter 7 . 6/13/2013
I love these kinds of stories about Chris. All that emotion was beautiful! Great work!
Aynessa chapter 6 . 9/29/2012
Just read this for the second time.

There are no words to explain how much I adored this story. It is heartbreaking, achingly painful, beautiful, touching, poignant, powerful. So many lines that just seared into my memory as some of the best sentences I've ever read, I can't possibly count them all.

Don't ever stop writing.
DementedLunatic chapter 7 . 12/31/2011
Beautifully written. I especially loved the way you write the POV of each character.
Aynessa chapter 7 . 12/25/2011
Fabulous. This is exactly what shouldn't happen after everything he sacrificed, but it is entirely too probable. Brokenhearted, achingly beautiful...I really really loved this.
Aimmy14 chapter 7 . 8/2/2011
This is so beautifully written. The style really makes the plot and dialogue...more. I can't explain it but it made this story that much more wonderful. One of the things that really bugged me in alternative future stories is that the problems between the sisters and Chris all magically disappear. Not that I don't enjoy those stories. But this is a a wonderful range of usual plot lines. I hope you continue writing.
Luzith chapter 7 . 6/7/2011
Loved it. Thanks
neverlasting-legend chapter 7 . 5/31/2011
That was amazingly insightful to what could have occurred in the new future. Seriously, I started crying at some parts and it was just so wonderfully written.
FallenHope-Angel chapter 7 . 5/3/2011
that was so sad! poor chris i thought i would start crying i mean e tried so so hard to fix everytihgn adn then everything is screwe p for him. ad on top of that he rembered everything. but at least things cann well not start over but begin as it should have. one step at a time.