Reviews for Fragments of a Life
truthsetfree chapter 1 . 7/21/2013
This was just brilliantly done. Excellent characterization. Great word choice. Awesome job with dialogue. You really did a great job digging into Peter in this. Very impressive analytical work with him. All of this fits into canon and comes across as being very real within that world. Well done.

"How could Remus be– But he was. "
That "B" doesn't need to be captalized.
starlight.moon.princess chapter 1 . 7/14/2013

This was fabulous, undoubtedly one of the best pieces I've read in a long time.
You've examined peter brilliantly here, and i love how you've shown the slow progression of his feelings, from friendship to that final moment of complete and utter betrayal.
I can promise you, this definitely does NOT come off as emotionless - in fact, it's one of the most emotion-filled pieces I've read in a long time.
I sympathised and felt Peter's emotions through every step of the story, and at the end, I was able to empathise with him, a character I've always hated as much as I hate Umbridge.

This was brilliant, truly, and definitely deserves a favourite from me.
Well done!
Great Angemon chapter 1 . 7/7/2013
I don't know what you mean when you say that this story lacks emotion. It clearly shows Peter's anger and resentment, but also his longing for affection. He's just the lonely kid in the group, with only a few, not-so-close friends.

His reason for betraying them becomes obvious when you read this: all he wanted was a friend, someone he could confide in, but James, Remus and Sirius didn't make room in their group for him to be one of them. He was a friend, but not one of them.

This story is really touching, and I quite liked it.
infiniteworld8 chapter 1 . 7/5/2013
Okay, first off your writing is rather good. Your characterization of Remus, Sirius, Peter and James are spot on. I liked how you had little vignettes each representing a different theme and then in the end you sort of tied them together.

I take issue with the way they repeatedly and (in my opinion) almost intentionally excluded Peter. It seems to me they didn't care about him at all. I typically see Peter as running eventually from fear, and a small bit of neglect and abuse on his friends part. After all they considered him the comic relief, but in this story they were just cruel and the way you represented it I don't see there friendship lasting past there second year, let along long enough for them to make Peter the Potters secret-keeper.

Also, you seemed to be hinting at a relationship between , Sirius and Remus. I thought it was rather heavily done for a friendship. Peter seemed strong in this story than he was portrayed in the movies and books. But I like that to me he wasn't weak, he was conniving , and opportunistic. Power by linking up with others was what he always wanted. In short nice story and if I get a bit of time, I nay check out some of your other writing
Edhla chapter 1 . 7/4/2013
Hi :) As a disclaimer, I'm pretty ignorant of Harry Potter, but I'll review this as best I can :)

Really enjoyed this. You seem very familiar with your characters, and you write conversations very naturally and smoothly. I get a real kick out of reading about the "pranks" these guys get up to.

I'm also really impressed with your engaging narrator voice- distinctive and interesting, but doesn't drown out the actual story, which some first-person voices do.

"James and Sirius were brilliant!" I like that this is so morally ambiguous... they're basically bullying the crap out of poor Remus, and it really isn't that funny. I really like the pointing out that Remus was afraid, and that the much-maligned Peter was the one who felt sorry for him when the so-called good guys did not. On the other hand, I really liked Sirius turning on James in defence of Remus. It's so much more complicated than good vs bad and it's great that you acknowledge that.

Incidentally, I really commend you on your use of headings. Usually headings inside the body of fanfics annoy the snot out of me, but yours work with your narrative and not against it.

Loved it. LOVED the ending. I'm really impressed that you explored the intricacies involved in the idea: why WOULD a person become a Death Eater? "Because they are evil" is lazy. This is great x
MessengerOfDreams chapter 1 . 2/9/2013

What a marvelous achievement this story was. I do not remember much of Peter, but you've shown his status as an outcast in a way that is nothing less than... chilling. It is truly chilling. You can feel his heart break, you can see his motivations, you can sense the way he seems to be flinging himself against a steel wall trying to become normal, relatable, someone that is cared about, and the fear of failure, and that's heartbreaking. Peter is written in a way that is fascinating, and you can't blame him for his jealousy. It's tragic and sad, in a funny sort of way.

Your writing brought forth your vision flawlessly. Not much more I can say than that.

Marvelous work.
Sassmaster Omega 620 chapter 1 . 8/6/2012
Wow, Personally Peter was never one of my favorite characters, but then the 7th book came out and he redeem himself a little in my eyes. But on to the fic, This is the only Peter turning story I have read thus far but I enjoyed it immensly, I liked the prompts woven into the story and I like reading how Peter found joy at being in the group but then went into depression when they started ignoring him for Lupin's sake. All in all this was a wonderful read, great job!
El Leon Y La Oveja chapter 1 . 12/18/2010
You know, I have always hated Wormtail until this. I think this fic has almost changed my mind. Now I just dislike him. :)

It really takes an amazing author to make us feel sorry for him even when we know that he betrayed Lily and James.
Jayden Winters chapter 1 . 6/4/2009
It's an interesting-and probably very accurate-account on Peter's character. Great job. :D
Relala chapter 1 . 5/30/2009
Sometimes I cannot handle this site. The Newbie’s are taking over (no offence) and they never really produce anything worth favourite-ing. (It’s true!) Those simple facts have been keeping me away from decent FanFiction because I’m terrified of reading - but this piece was pure poetry and sliced my emotions to shreds. There were no flaws in this story: Merely the humanity which was an author and a character melding to create a world.
hydraspit chapter 1 . 9/27/2008
this is wonderful! I can't believe it took me this long to realize you'd written this.

Really great work.
artsfan chapter 1 . 9/14/2007
again a marvelous fic. it's quite interesting to explore the reasons of the dark side, is it not?
Dark Sarcasm 503 chapter 1 . 3/5/2007
wow. it's the first time i've ever felt remotely sympathetic for Peter.

amazing story.
scarlet dreamer chapter 1 . 9/1/2006
another great one shot as usual you are the best
Rutu chapter 1 . 8/16/2006
Wow. . . .You know, literrally two days ago I was wondering when you'd come out with something again. . . .and here you've put up two fics! But yeah, I agree, these two go together. . . . .I love the take you have on Peter. A lot of authors show him as just plain evil and nothing else. I think I liked Shades more. . . .but this one's nice as well. . . .I'm just going to review both here, 'cuz it's easier to talk about them together. . . .these really showed the gradual changes in Peter. . . .I mean, we all new he was their friend and he betrayed them, but we never knew why. . . . .and these fics really go into that well. . . . . .I'll be waiting for more! _