Reviews for Adjournment
Rast chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
For some reason, the end of this, with Logan tipping the king over on its side, that image is really clear in my head. This whole piece feels very...I suppose "melancholy" would be the appropriate word here?
intstebri chapter 1 . 3/26/2007

I read it before today, find it nice... that's all (VERY SORRY FOR THAT! IT WAS ME, NOT THE STORY).

Today, I read it again, with my improve English.

Let me tell you what I understand:

She's tired to wait for him, to always try to reach him, to be closer with him. She start thinking she should give up. Asked for him opinion, unable to tell him exactly why.

Without a doubt, he didn't understand... But in a casual way, not linked in any way at her temporary discouragement, he kicked the king down as he had kicked HER down...

What if she had seen that!

Anyway, I know stories and songs are similar, all people don't understand it in the same way. But this is how I have understood, and it was VERY GREAT

Thanks! Brigitte

(Sorry for my English)
Frost Deejn chapter 1 . 10/9/2006
Kyre chapter 1 . 9/6/2006
An emotional pooball, maybe. But a well-written one. It's interesting, now that I think about it, the way DA trades melancholy scenes. Sometimes it's Max pondering morosely with Logan looking on in curiosity, sometimes it's Logan brooding with Max looking on in frustration, and both cases seem to involve rain a lot. Nice job keeping with the theme. :)
applexbabe chapter 1 . 8/20/2006
Even just the summary ("Checkmate") was enough to get me to look at this, as I knew it would be Max and Logan. I really enjoyed it. Emotional, well written, in character... Very well done. I liked your style, and I especially liked the bit at the end after she left. It's hard to describe what exactly I liked, but know that I really liked this fic. Dare I ask for maybe, a sequel or continuation of sorts? Entirely up to you if your imagination will do it, but I'd definitely like to see one.
Kasman chapter 1 . 8/20/2006
Not a pooball at all. Very enjoyable.
lilmouse chapter 1 . 8/18/2006
Whoo-hoo! So happy to see another story from you. :)

I loved the mood of this piece. I can picture the scene clearly and though I'm curious about Max's thoughts, I like it just the way it is. Very in-character - as usual for you - with just enough angst to make it interesting without being overwhelming. Your dialogue is great.

I like Logan's tactic to get her attention, even though it wasn't entirely successful. I'm sorry Max left without finishing the game - or fully realizing how he had won.

Favourite parts? I've said it before and, as expected, will say it again: I could just cut and paste the whole, wonderful interlude but FFN might object... ;)

Max showed the barest hint of reaction, as she blinked in confusion, and squinted at the board. Logan could see Max re-playing the entire game in her mind, move by move, until she got to the current one. Still obviously not processing well, she just frowned. “I don’t see how—”

(If the opening paragraph with a still, silent Max wasn't indication enough that something wasn't right, then this is it. Her confusion is described very well.)

“That’s what happens when you don’t pay attention. Mere mortals begin to win.”

(Ah, mortals. They play with dangerous things all the time. He's lucky she isn't processing information very well... ;))

She gave a careless one-shouldered shrug. “Nothin’.”

Logan stared at her. “Right,” he said blandly.

(So typical of their interaction. Perfect.)

“Sure. Hundreds of times, for a thousand different reasons. Why?”

She didn’t respond to the question, just asked another one. “How do you not?”

(Another great exchange. Logan's discomfort and Max's struggle are tangible.)

She didn’t make a sound. She looked down through dropped lashes, not entirely looking at him. “Never mind,” she said softly. She turned away from him, and just left.

Logan watched the door swing closed behind her and moved back over to the chessboard. He moved the knight back to its original position. Then he tipped her king onto the side, watching it roll slightly between other pieces close by.

(Argh! I could smack both of them. Very DA, though. The description of the chess piece rolling on the board is a silent summary to their exchange.)

Thank you for sharing this gem. I hope there are more pending. :)

Mouse :)
annie200 chapter 1 . 8/17/2006
Excellent dialogue. I was actually squirming as I felt Logan's determination not to be the first one to make a move. Like mari, I'd like to know what put Max in such a defeated state, and also i'd like to see logan get her out of it. not asking for much then...
flaymzofice chapter 1 . 8/16/2006
Oh, yes angsty, but angst just the way I like (i.e., no one dies). A healthy portion of our recommended daily allowance I think.

I loved the tranquility of this piece. Just the way it was so quiet that you can feel the bubbling beneath the surface, of all those thoughts Logan is not being made privy too. Absolute brilliance the way you've done that.

This story is less about what you tell us, than what you don't. It's the underlying implications that you don't share which make this so great.

Saying that, I loved the description of this piece. Especially the line "the sunrise hit like millions of tiny prisms". Great image capture with words.

I like the gentle humour in this too, the dryness of the tone that defines Logan, "she finally shifted, which was good for him, because he felt like his entire body was beginning to go numb". I don't know if you intended this, but I found it spot on if you did. I can imagine he would rather compete with her, knowing he'll lose, than be the first one to make a move.

In that vein, they were both very in character. I found this especially so in Logan, "Sure. Hundreds of times, for a thousand different reasons. Why?" Excellent characterisation.

I always like a story ten fold when the author shows a clear and keen observation and appreciation of the show. Lines which are so synonymous with the characters, such as the aforementioned, illustrate just that attention to detail.

It was a textbook ending for any angst piece, written or acted, but I like the quiet defeat represented by the tipping over of the king. I do think it should have been HIS king...but that might just be me not really appreciating what you're implying.

Great work. And sniggers are to be had at 'pooball'. If I hadn't read this I'd say 'how eloquent of you'. But of course, you are eloquent.
acb chapter 1 . 8/16/2006
You are amazing. The way you set a scene and pull me in. You're so great at Max angst. But please, you gotta continue. I have to know what's up with babygirl.
Mari83 chapter 1 . 8/16/2006
Beautiful written, a plot idea I can’t remember seeing before and a perfect set-up over the chess set!

So now we know what it takes to make Logan cheat;-)

I _need_ to see which of the many things that make Max difficult is bothering her here. So… more, please!
Lora-Lai chapter 1 . 8/16/2006

I love it! That's one of the best Dark Angel fics I've read.

Now I wish they'd gone for more than two seasons...

I'm going to go watch my DVDs now, thank you very much.
orca589 chapter 1 . 8/16/2006
So very real. The imagery brought the scene alive, capturing the sense of Max and Logan perfect.
abregaza chapter 1 . 8/16/2006
Melancholy is not good, but if you're going to produce fic like this I might have to wish more of it upon you. No, I'll stick to wishing inspiration in any form (be it busrides or melancholy) on you.

Haunting image of Max playing with the chess piece whilst Logan cheats to beat her (trying to get her to pay attention (at least in my head).

Once again I bow to the your greatness. BTW, I again take this opportunity to mention the Denise Nicole fanclub anxiously awaits more PL - tell the plot fairies (and your beta half) to hurry up already! ;') Love your work.
ML Only chapter 1 . 8/15/2006
Angsty but not maudlin. I love the mood you've created. LOL - Logan trying to cheat! Interesting that Logan said "What do you want to give up?" rather than, "Why do you want to give up?" Love the ending - her leaving, him left not knowing - very in character. Very Logan for him not to answer her question. Yep, I liked it - not overly sentimental, thoughtful, written with restraint. Thanks!