Reviews for Discontent
Suse B chapter 1 . 8/1/2011
agreed.

I started off with despising Vala from her dominatrix outfit and "I'm pregnant and it might be one of ten people, including you" comment. I rolled my eyes at Mitchell's swordfighting but was really biding time till we were back to the real SG-1. Then Sam returned and he was still leading. towering rage (Which ticked me off more as it's a TV show.) When Vala returned, she was actually written okay in 3-4 eps (the ones without Daniel) and I liked her way more than Mitchell. No, she didn't ever fit, but i could sometimes stomach her in small doses. Mitchell, if he's have been 2IC, I might not have despised to much. But leader (for all the points you mentioned in the fic)? No. Won't comment on tptb politics, but I'd bet you know where I stand.
SusanJackson chapter 1 . 7/18/2008
I love this! I so agree with Sam's assessment of Vala! Hope you do more!

Susan
ReganX chapter 1 . 10/22/2006
Great story, really well written. I thought that you captured both Sam and Jack’s characters really well.

I dislike Mitchell being in command and, to be honest, Mitchell himself and most of Season Nine so I really enjoy stories highlighting the problems of the season and the current disaster area of a command situation.

If Sam is unhappy on SG-1 and feels that Mitchell's inexperience is putting the team at risk then she is absolutely right to want to leave. Maybe Landry could offer her command of her own team - which, frankly, is the least he should have done as soon as she returned, at his request. Sam is right that Mitchell should never have been given command with his inexperience – I’m glad you absolved Jack of most of the responsibility for that, by the way – and that Vala does not bring anything to the team. Neither does Mitchell, in my opinion.

While I respect that Jack doesn’t want to betray Sam’s confidence, he should definitely speak to Landry about her concerns. She isn’t the only one being affected by this mess and just as Sam would feel horrible if anything happened to her teammates that she could have prevented, Jack would feel awful if anything happened to Daniel, Teal’c and Sam in particular because he hadn’t raised the issue of Mitchell’s unfitness for his position as team leader.

I hope you write a sequel to this piece. I would like to see what Sam and Jack do next and how Landry would react if either of them brought the issue to his attention – would he listen to their concerns fairly, as Jack predicted, or would he be angry that they were questioning the choices he has made as base commander. I’d like to know how Jack feels about Sam not getting command of SG-1 when she returned to the SGC, whether he expected Landry to put the best person for the job in charge and if he ever said anything about it.

I am also surprised that Teal’c hasn’t said anything. He is very insightful and he and Sam are close so I would have thought that he would have noticed her unhappiness at the current situation on SG-1 and said something.
dyslecksec chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
Bullseye. If they were going to leave Mitchell as CO and 'lead' character, the TPTB could've *at least* given him a backstory to justify his commanding SG-1 instead of Carter. Not to mention, that Mitchell admits to Landry that he has no control over 'his' team... What a mess. TPTB have definitely turned several shades of stupid in regards to the team dynamic, among other things in S9 & S10. It's sad when fanfic authors have AU-S9 fics that stay truer to the characters (even Mitchell & Vala) and the team dynamic than the actual show's producers.
ChristinaS chapter 1 . 9/10/2006
Hi! This story really hits the nail on the head. As an Air Force vet, I have to agree that it is irresponsible and DANGEROUS to put ANYONE,into the field, (let alone in command!) with no ground experience. Cam's a fighter jock! His "ground experience" is most likely limited to survival school and Academy exercises (which is appropriate for a pilot). Even if he had the misfortune to be shot down. Escape & evade are vastly different from the challenges faced daily by SG-1.

In defense of Cam: it seems he expected to be ON SG-1, not command it. Landry told him to put a team together. Landry demonstrated very poor judgement in doing so, & I wouldn't have expected such a poor choice from someone hand picked by Jack.

I think Sam is correct to be concerned about the situation, and depending upon who has more time in grade, possibly even livid. If she not only has more experience, but ALSO out-ranks Cam, she should be pissed as hell! Heck- I'm getting pissed again just *thinking* about it! Sorry (climbing down from high horse). I'd love to see a sequel and see how this is resolved!
Su Freund chapter 1 . 9/7/2006
Nice little story and a good explanation. although I haven't seen any of S10 yet, I saw enough in S9, and read enough about S10, to make me really pissed with the way they are treating Sam's character. You are so right! Thanks for writing.
debcole chapter 1 . 8/27/2006
I think your view of the new SG-1 is fairly accurate. They really don't seem to work as a team anymore. As much as I like Ben Browder, his character doesn't really seem to be experienced enough to lead the premier team. Even though Jack could be irreverent and childlike at times, he was definitely a leader.
dietcokechic chapter 1 . 8/25/2006
I liked this. It gave a plausible explanation to some of the past SG-1 behaviors."Now it’s just a group of five individuals. It’s more like SG-Me instead of SG-1" Yeah - that's kind of how I see it as well. I still greatly enjoy the show, but Carter should have been CO, not Mitchell. IMHO.

Loved the inclusion of the dorritos!
blinkey chapter 1 . 8/23/2006
I could be very content to read stories like this one all day long. I love these little moments between Sam and Jack. You are very good at getting the character just right and the humor is great also. Keep them coming.
CharmedAli chapter 1 . 8/23/2006
aw sweet then the last line, very very funny, i like it
Colonel Samantha Carter chapter 1 . 8/23/2006
As always you hit the bullseye in your story. This is how I've been feeling since season 9 began and even though I haven't given up on SG-1, I feel the same way with each character. I hope you write more to this story and have Sam approach Landry. Keep up the good work, always love your stories.
Natters chapter 1 . 8/22/2006
good ficlet
SG-Fan chapter 1 . 8/22/2006
I barely been able to watch any of season nine or ten, but I hope it's not like that... Sam's one of the best characters!

Anyways, good job!
7 League Boots chapter 1 . 8/22/2006
No sweat here. You hit some valid points. The honest dialogue between Sam and Jack was really well done. Their affection and trust in each other is very visible. Not sure how talking to Hank about her misgivings and then resigning will help Mitchell or her reputation but it could be done discreetly I suspect. A neat and plausible moment between my fave characters, thanks.
Ilovesg1 chapter 1 . 8/22/2006
Excellent. You are right. Sometimes, during season 9, I thought that the scripts were written by Michael Shanks. They seem to have let all of Daniel's worse/obsessive/self centered traits take front and center. As for Cam...I like Ben Browder but Cam runs around like a Boy Scout on speed. I had the feeling he had little, if any, experience leading a team (fly boys don't count, all that testosterone in the air). Actually, I like Vala, but again another strong personality (she seems though to have a lot more insight into some problems than Cam).