Reviews for The Steward and the King
Taryn Streambattle chapter 1 . 9/5/2010
A wonderful exchange! The part about Sam "lecturing him like a truant child" got a laugh out of me! And the comparison between Aragorn and denethor.. OOH so much to love!
Fantita chapter 1 . 2/15/2008
Great story! I enjoyed it a lot, I think its well written but what I loved most was how you nailed the characters and their feelings and thoughts. The dynamics between them, esp. Aragorn and Faramir, was really good!

And it was nice that Faramir, having always been neglected by his father, understood at the end that his thoughts will be (fairly, at last!) be listened to by the new King.
aisarikka chapter 1 . 10/19/2007
Truthuly and wonderfuly written. You've made quite an impression on such a matter simply stated in the books.
AHealingRenaissance chapter 1 . 2/23/2007
I love this :D
Mysterious Jedi chapter 1 . 9/23/2006
Excellent story
Flynne chapter 1 . 9/12/2006
I *finally* was able to sit down and read this story! Enjoyed it, of course! :) While I do think that Aragorn might know how to conduct himself as a king rather than needing guidance like Gandalf gave him (how to call Imrahil back inside), I still think your characterizations are great, and you are very good at writing dialogue in a way that fits LoTR, but doesn't sound stuffed.

So now I guess I'll go back to waiting (somewhat) patiently ;) for the next chapter of "An Act of Desperation". Thanks for posting this little ficlet, and I look forward to your next update! :)
simbelmyrne chapter 1 . 8/23/2006
I enjoyed your story. There are few good Faramir and the King stories, but yours was very well written. I will definitely check out your other story, as well.

keep writing.
LOTRlover1066 chapter 1 . 8/23/2006
Very good. That is the kind of thing I can really see going through Faramir's mind when being given that offer. Please continue with your other story. I want to see how it finally works out in the end.
Adar chapter 1 . 8/23/2006
Yes very good. I liked it. No blaring mistakes that I can see except that Imrahil is Denethor's brother-in-law. not his true brother.

(sigh...) I love that Aragorn is so much more sensitive to Faramir than Denethor ever was...

Now go and save the World!
LothirielofRohan chapter 1 . 8/23/2006
I really liked this! It's nice to see Faramir's view of things when everything in the larger story is from Eowyn's point of view (and I agree with Deandra that this fits in nicely with An Act of Desperation. Does that make this a scene from the "Extended Edition" of that story?)

Aragorn being still not quite sure of all the day-to-day "how a king behaves" stuff makes him very endearing, if such a word can be used to describe him. And I liked the idea of Sam's vouching for Faramir.
Shandris chapter 1 . 8/23/2006
The story is a nice surprise! I rather expected next chapter of AAOD, but I really don't mind it at all! :) Faramir's thoughts of his future and his Stewardship match to him and sound realistic. I liked "the job interview" scene - ingeniously written and shows both similarities and differences between Aragorn and Denethor, what is quite interesting to observe, especially from Faramir's point of view. It isn't mentioned in the book, that Faramir had spoken to Aragorn of his Stewardship before the coronation, what always seemed to me to be a little strange, but your story fills the gap very good. Nothing remains for me to do but to wish you more time and inspiration!

Shandris
Aelaer chapter 1 . 8/23/2006
Oh, I liked this story quite a bit! I always enjoy moments between Faramir and Aragorn, especially when they are both new to their positions. Those two have so much in common that I suspect they became friends very quickly. Very nice.
Deandra chapter 1 . 8/22/2006
Yep, lovely - just like I thought! One thing - I have read elsewhere the suggestion that the family of the Steward would have personal "holdings" of land and wealth that you might want to take into consideration. If that were so, at least theoretically, Faramir could provide for Eowyn fairly well, even without a profession (at least for awhile, considering how long he lives!). Still, gainful employment would probably allow more flexibility, at least initially since, with all the destruction, rent on property occupied by others might be in short supply (their ability to pay may be impaired until the city recovers). Just some thoughts as you continue on.

Otherwise, I can see this working in beautifully with AAOD and the Faramir you have painted there - the uncertainty about his abilities, and how his reactions to Aragorn reflect what he learned in dealing with Denethor. And his innate honesty and integrity shining through it all. I do adore your Faramir!

Hope this chapter spurs the plot bunnies (and time allows) for you to continue with AAOD.

- Deandra
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 8/22/2006
This was most enjoyable ! I love Faramir and Aragorn stories and hope you will write more about these two. What a clever way for Aragorn to make his decision and I liked the way you brought out how he was both like and unlike Denethor.

You asked if any errors could be found. You say "Once they were alone," when they were not as Gandalf was there too, otherwise I found none.A nice surprise to find this.
Raksha The Demon chapter 1 . 8/22/2006
I liked this vignette; it's a good exploration of an interesting and uncertain time in Faramir's life.

I liked Faramir's surprise that the high-and-mighty returning King Elessar Telcontar Etc. would feel a bit uncertain himself now that Sauron is defeated and the fulfillment of his dreams is it hand (Aragorn's life rapidly changing in ways that are even more major than Faramir's) - that's a neat notion. And I loved Aragorn's being inundated with references as to Faramir's quality from Sam and Imrahil and Gandalf.

MINOR Quibbles:

I disagree that Faramir would have said the following:

“It is an honor I do not deserve, my lord,” he replied.

Faramir had a lot of self-confidence in the book (T) and in the scenes with Eowyn in the book; and the only person who seemed to rattle him at all in the book is now dead. If you're going to go with Faramir feeling himself unworthy of the Stewardship, I think you might elaborate on why he feels that way - is it because Boromir was supposed to inherit the Stewardship? I'm not sure that "do not deserve" is the reasoning Faramir would have given, or felt.

The last line of the story needs, in my opinion, a little adjustment; it seems slightly askew, grammatically speaking.