Reviews for Give The Devil His Due
TheRoadgoeseverOnAndOn chapter 1 . 2/2/2009
A great story. Very good.
bluedragon1836 chapter 1 . 3/3/2008
that's really touching. and sad.
AngelOfTheMoor chapter 1 . 10/1/2007
I've just discovered your story! This is very well-written, though there are a couple of odd word choices, and I think that you must've accidentally typed this sentence wrongly: "Gut shot as he was his chances of survival were minimal, even non-existent."

Anyway, I don't really want to quibble about little details. I think your story is wonderful overall! I've always wondered what the conversation between Bush and Archie must've been like before Archie sacrificed himself, and I think you present a very plausible possibility! I wish the scene had been depicted in the movie, but I guess the plus side to that is that great stories like yours fill in the gap! I must admit, I got a bit teary at the end (which I do easily, of course)! Thanks for the fabulous read!
Lisa Paris chapter 1 . 4/21/2007
Great story - can't believe I only just found it. I just love Paul McGann as Bush. I can totally imagine these scenes between him and Archie. Thank you.
The Breeze chapter 1 . 8/28/2006
Well done story, except I could never imagine them actually talking about it. If the situation was mentioned by Bush & Kennedy at all, they would dance around it more - even if Kennedy was on the verge of death.

I know this is an odd review, but I think the concept is flawed yet the writing is great. I hope you write more Hornblower stuff. Now I have to run off and read your Harry Potter stuff.
elfmaiden4legs chapter 1 . 8/27/2006
wow i totally loved this! I mean totally totally loved it! Before I go on I would just like to say that I loved how you tried to... and in my oppinion triumphed in capturing the language of the time! This helped to make the story appear very authentic and natural... and made the whole scene between Kennedy and Bush very believable!

Your ending was beautifully written! Sometimes endings can be hard to write and appear very rushed without giving any sense of closure but I think you did the series justice!

I wrote something very simialr to this, following the same theme of Archie's death and unfortunate disgrace a few months ago. But the depth which you have explored this theme and the unusual angle from which you have approached it (Archie and Bush rather than Archie and Horatio) has given a scene which in my oppinion was not explored enough in the series a greater depth... although maybe that was not necessarily a bad thing for the series to have done as it certainly leaves it open for stories such as this one to be written.

I think you have done an amazing job and I hope you decide to write more Hornblower fics in the future. You are an amazing writer and if any future fics you write are anything like this one you will definatly not disappoint!
teja chapter 1 . 8/27/2006
Goddamn, that brought a tear. Erk, XD, but I've been known to be sentimental! This was really well written, and this scene in the episode was not really explored! He just kinda drifts away dammit So thankyou, and I hope you write more...!