Reviews for Asylum
QueenNaberrie chapter 8 . 10/7/2014
I found this story very interesting as it was being told from an outsider. Great story & so glad that Tom did the right thing in the end.

Very cleverly done!
laceandpaperflowers chapter 8 . 3/11/2014
Some stories just stick with you. This is one of those for me.

I could read it over and over again and find something new each time.

Excellent story!
Long Live BRUCAS chapter 8 . 10/24/2011
This was very good. I like that it was from an outsiders POV(Tom).

IT was a different way to see Logan thoughts or way of living w/o Eyes Only.
Victoriam Speramus chapter 8 . 4/5/2010
Great story. I enjoyed widely it's written from Tom's perspective -it gives the whole thing a fresh POV and still has that air of familiarity of DA...

Loved it.
JR Toguro chapter 8 . 11/12/2007
Yet another fine piese of fiction. This was my first time reading this story and I was quite surprised. It was a bit of a depature from your usual M/L but I liked the plot and premise quite a bit. I found this to be a powerful piece of work and I don't throw that term out lightly. It was well crafted, thought out, surprising while not unbelievabl and above it all it was an entertaining read. As I get ready to make my foray into DA fanfic I hope my work will be half as good as yours. As always good work and I hope to see more from you in the future.
gypsydoggy10 chapter 8 . 3/3/2007
Just found this-breathtaking-I'm just dumbfounded by your writing, as always.

This was so beautifully and creatively written-the outsider narration made it mysterious and poignant-Wonderful, wonderful writing, as always.

gd
jfg207 chapter 8 . 2/18/2007
That was beautiful... That's all I can say.

If you did want to continue the story you could bring to life again Eyes Only from there or in fact go back to Seattle somewhere other than his penthouse.

JG
LISA chapter 8 . 1/5/2007
You can't hear it, but I am just now letting out a hugh sigh after reading through your entire story without taking my eyes off of it for even a moment. WOW! That was such a clever idea, and you wrote it so well. I feel both inspired and humbled after that because it makes me want to start writing my own story, but I truly don't think I could do it so well. I did love that you only used the outsider's POV. As much as I would have loved to wallow in the romance/angst of Max and Logan's goodbye scene, it has been done many times before, but I don't think I've ever scene anything like what you have written here before. Thank you so much for this captivating story, I sincerely enjoyed it.
Sossoca chapter 8 . 10/5/2006
Bravo! Bravo! All I can do is stand up, and applause.
lilmouse chapter 8 . 9/30/2006
I can't believe it is over...

Tom's journey has been interesting from the get-go and I'm not at all disappointed by the conclusion - though of course, he still has to go to his stops in Canada, so technically *his* journey isn't done by a long shot.

I'm only going to list a few of my absolute favourite bits, as cutting and pasting the whole thing will *not* go over well. My last review probably classifies as a short story in its own right. *sigh* You can pretend that I have cut and pasted the whole thing, if you like. ;)

“Mr. Butler? Oh, you are there...” the woman’s voice carried insincere surprise, telling him she knew full well he was still there. “Robert Eastman called for you this morning – you left your wallet at the shop.”

He hadn’t ... but he had, in yet another unheard-of break from journalistic form, e-mailed a copy of his story to Cale when he finished it about four hours earlier, before passing out in exhaustion across the quilted coverlet. Shit, he thought; “oh,” he managed, suddenly wondering not only whether or not Cale approved of his story, but that he’d sent it to him at all ...

“He thought you’d want to know right away. He can’t leave the shop to bring it by ‘til noon, when Mr. Papasian comes in, but thought you might want it sooner. He’ll be there all morning, he said, so if you wanted to stop by...”

(I'd bean that desk clerk, lol! I like that he sent Logan the story and that he was given the opportunity to speak with him, face to face, one more time. Logan's good at arranging meetings... ;) I'm so pleased Tom decided not to bolt.)

You’re a professional; so is he. You’ve been at this a while, almost as long as he has. Other than his wondering what the hell you were thinking, sending him the story, he might understand what you did, and why...

(Ah, Tom worries so much - as did Logan at one time. This sums up his hopes for the trip, for the article and for himself very well.)

He neared the storefront, swallowing the inner debate and looking for some focus for what he knew would be his last, in-person meeting with Cale.

(I really like the image of him 'swallowing the inner debate'. He probably swallows physically then, too, to get his head in the right space. If the Eyes Only contact in Seattle gets in touch with him, this might *not* be his last meeting with Logan. Who knows?)

Coming toward the shop door, Butler again saw Cale inside, alone in the shop, but this time further back near the far wall, hunkered over a frame that looked at first glance like a stripped down, three-wheeled go-cart.

(Glad to see Logan working on the bike. It gives a sign that he's going to stay - and try to get that part of his life in order. Since it was Tom and not some other reporter, he *can* look to the future.)

“It hasn’t been published – or even turned in yet...”

“I know.” Butler looked up, not surprised to hear it, but wondering how even he could know that. Cale considered him, and added, “I take it you don’t make it a habit of doing that...”

Tim snorted, a sound of self-directed irritation. “No.”

(A super beginning to a wonderful conversation between the two. I'd love to paste the whole thing here, maybe comment on every single line - because I could, you know - but I won't. Please suffice it to say the whole exchange is perfect. Logan is very intuitive and you demonstrate this well. Tom has grown during this story and his plans to take the scent off Logan's actual location are super.)

“It couldn’t hurt,” Cale shrugged. “Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever appreciated being marginalized quite so much.” His eyebrow lifted in humor at the irony. “ And – hypothetically – were I trying to stay a part of things, even from here ... it would be easier, just being one of Eyes Only’s nameless foot soldiers again.”

An offer, in trust, Tom realized, to admit that much ... there’s so much in this man to admire, so much to emulate...

Cale was quiet a moment, and his face became more serious, shifting into a look of sincere gratitude. “Whether or not it changes a thing, Tom – thank you for how you chose to do the story.”

(Okay, I *had* to quote this part. Max threatened me with bodily harm if I didn't... ;) Logan tells him everything - and nothing - at this point and Tom gets it. Awesome, in the true sense of the word. Great humour at the edges, too.)

In response, Cale pursed his lips, thought for a moment... and a small smile again graced his features. “But things are what they are, and in all this you brought us a good reminder of what’s been out there, and what can still pop up. We’ll learn from that. But more than anything,” the smile was genuine, “because of your story, what you decided to write – tonight I’ll be going home, here – to have dinner with my wife. And I want to thank you for that.”

Suddenly emotional again, Tom could only nod. With a deep breath, he gulped, and cleared his throat. “It was a privilege, Logan.” He opened the door and left, not looking back...

(Oh, and this part, too. Logan is so expressive without being melodramatic. Very natural. Both men have their lives back in place with an added dimension to them. Logan has been reminded how easily he might be uncovered and the hero of a young reporter has been given a depth he didn't imagine.)

I love the part of the article the reader gets to see. :)

The entire scene of Logan and Max reuniting? Choked me up, it did. Especially liked this description:

But before he could even open his door all the way, the back door slammed open, and the beautiful young woman – in a short, silken robe, her feet bare and hair still apparently damp from a shower–sprinted to the porch’s edge, pausing only a moment to take in his appearance. In the blink of an eye she was down the ramp, launching herself into his arms at the open door, while he was still behind the wheel...

*Sigh* I hope you mean it when you say that we might get this story from other perspectives. I think that would be great. I'm so glad you kept this as Tom's viewpoint throughout. It makes for a very powerful story.

Which one to have next? That would be a vote for Logan. The journalists have to stick together, you know. ;)

And why not a flannel shirt? Bling probably loaned him one on a chilly day by the lake and once he realized they kept him warm, Logan probably bought a dozen of them, lol!

Thank you, once more, for sharing your wonderful writing.

Cheers!

Mouse :)
karl chapter 8 . 9/27/2006
Very good story. keep up the good work.
BlueAngel137 chapter 8 . 9/26/2006
I really enjoyed the last chapter ... beautiful ending ... as I already told you, I loved everything about this story. :) Awesome work!

Using Tom's POV for the whole story was a great way to show a completely different angle.

The good-bye scene was beautiful and I'm sad the story's over, so yes, I'd love to read some other POV's.

THANKS.
Me chapter 8 . 9/25/2006
Of course I want to scream out GIVE ME LOGAN'S PERSPECTIVE next but that would ruin the other perspectives for Me. Do as you think is best, you know I will read it. Flannel shirts... hhm. Love those but not on just any guy. I think Logan would carry it off just fine though ;o)
Mari83 chapter 8 . 9/25/2006
LONG REVIEW WARNING

Satisfying ending (but still with a nice bit of tension) and nice length(need I say that long is good? Probably not;-p)

It’s been said before, but it was a pleasure to find such a complex, multi-dimensional original character like Butler and see him by going through some difficult decisions. Good to see that his belief in Logan finally proves to be standing on a good foundation.

Glad to have another meeting between Logan and Tom without the tenser atmosphere of their first, deepening the understanding between them with the gratitude on both sides and the regret about Logan’s life-project turning out this way.

“On occasion, people I knew used to accuse me of being schizophrenic about Eyes Only, talking about ‘his’ work as if ‘he’ was a separate person.

People… or Max?

Like your reason for Logan leaving EO the way Butler finally writes the article was an unexpected yet logical and satisfying answer and I’d say a complete novelty. Most people (including me) automatically tend to think that EO has to end when Logan stops it one way or the other but your outcome is just as likely or, after a bit of thinking, maybe even more likely (and definitely the nicer ending).

“to have dinner with my wife.”

Married, hm? There’s only one word for this, starting with s and ending with equel…:-)

Again I have to say that I really like the way you built this story (you must think of me as the ‘broken record person’), with the article as a starter, then a great mix of Butler’s thoughts and observations, him interacting with Logan and now again a part of the article, but with them talking about it first. It made for a really varied (probably wrong word) read.

I like the detail with the bike and the precautions Tom has taken in order not to leave any traces.

“A good warning that we’d gotten careless. We’ll be ready next time.”

I like this and other hints that they can be lucky an idealistic journalist and not an old enemy of EO found them. Also an interesting change in Max’s behaviour, or rather how I imagine her in Seattle as always in scanning her surroundings for possible threats… Here she misses Butler hiding in the bushes in plain daylight (assuming her eyes can zoom just as well as his camera)…or did she know Butler is there and just no longer sees him as a threat?

Also glad Tom decided to have a final glimpse on their life from his hiding place and giving us this perfectly fluffy ending (stored away permanently in my ‘happy M/L moments’ memory), whic is vividly set up with the description of the nature around Tom.

"has Logan really gone out and gotten himself a flannel shirt...?"

No complete review from me without a little bit of confusion: The first impression popping into my mind was Logan in one of those long, white and truly old-fashioned night-gowns like my grandfather wore them (and like they are still worn here once each year on a rather peculiar ‘holiday’) but maybe you mean those colored, squared (checked?) shirts , (which are known as lumberman-shirts here)? Are they typical for rural areas?

You know that I’d love to see a sequel, or even better sequels with Logan, Max (the thoughts leading to the depart… (biting my tongue because almost writing department again:-p) goodbye-scene please… and everything around it), Bling… and also very much with one of your original characters… Please?

Hm, I just see that I lately tend to comment more on the content of stories and neglect stating that I always thoroughly enjoy your way of writing. Just don’t want to be even more repetitive… or have my reviews getting _even longer_;-p
Insane Troll Logic chapter 8 . 9/25/2006
Logan in a flannel shirt would blow so very much much of my mind (which incidentally is what more serious Tony is doing to me right now on NCIS).

I'm impressed to no end by this story. To take an outsider's perspective, and tell a story of the people we know without repeating cannon knowlegde or getting boring is hard, but you've pulled it off with flair. And it's always nice to see Max and Logan happy. We got so very little of it during the show. )

My only complaint with this story would be the article itself, but that's probably just me growing up in a family of journalists. The floaty metaphorical languege of it just seems to be there for the pretty and it doesn't actually say anything. It's an article that someone could have written without any contact with Eyes Only at all.. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Tom didn't out Logan, but I don't think I'd print his story.

Man I rambled one way too long about the one nitpicky thing I saw. Sorry. This was really a great story. I very much enjoyed it. (It'd be interested in the snippets, but I'd have to admit, I'd be more interested in a follow up to COncurrent Jurisdiction...)