Reviews for The Lift
DudeISoDumb chapter 8 . 9/20/2014
I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed your story. It was very entertaining, well thought out, and nicely written. I loved how all the characters were in-character, and I absolutely loved the dialogue between Seto and Mai! It made this story seem all the more believable, and gives this cute pairing all the more credence! And I have to say that I haven't smilied while reading a fanfic for quite sometime, and yours had me smiling like an idiot, and for that, I thank you. Reading your story made me really happy! Thank you so much for writing this, with all the seemingly light plot, your story covered some really deep concepts. I really, really loved this story. It was very sweet, and cute! And oh so good! But it left some questions, like Mai's dueling winning problem/mystery and its connection to the Shadow Realm, and of the assassins attempt. Well, anyways, I'm off to read your sequel, and I hope that answers some questions while bringing joy along the way. Thanks again for writing this! I really loved it!
Ruby of Raven chapter 8 . 1/31/2014
Seriously!? XD They just can't let it go, can they!?
Great job with this. It's such a rare pairing, I really hope to see more of it. Thanks for writing it!
Mariko Higa chapter 8 . 12/25/2013
I just got done reading this fic and I gotta say, it was awesome. While I am not really a fan of this pairing, it was very well written and the conversations within felt very is my first time reading a Yu-Gi-Oh fanfic and I was not disappointed. Characterization was pretty good. All and all an enjoyable read. Love it!
Browny Pink chapter 8 . 2/16/2013
This was just an overall good story! And in it, I though Kaiba was just motherlicking adorible ;)
chiisana-inori chapter 8 . 8/25/2011
I tremendously enjoyed this. You used the set up of an elevator accident perfectly and I thought the banter between Kaiba and Mai was funny, sweet, and very in tune with their characters. I can't wait to read the next installment. :)
Chicary chapter 8 . 3/17/2010
Apologies if you're not a big fan of long reviews but...

This was an absolutely refreshing read and you've further solidified my interest in arrogantshipping. I'm a stickler for canon-based stories and I really, really like good humor. You've executed their budding relationship in a believable and realistic way. The length you chose to make this process work is key because I cannot see two people who barely know each other end up where they did in chapter 8 without some time for exploration. The directions this fic took was very imaginative, which is great because my ideas probably would have stopped by the end of chapter 2. Keeping it clean AND entertaining gave a lot of credibility to this story because, well, my soiled post-teen mind goes straight to one thing when I think of a guy and a girl stuck in a lift/elevator.

Pairing two strong-willed, dominating personalities naturally leads to witty banter and that's what makes this pairing so much fun. I was a bit surprised by some of Kaiba's acts of kindness but, grounded in real life, these actions didn't turn out to be THAT unusual. I laughed out loud about three lines into chapter 1 when Kaiba made an effort to close the door before she got in. The closet gentleman in him really speaks to the complexity of his character and I've seen this device used in other stories involving him in a (clean) romantic relationship. The sexual charge in chapter 5 was fun to read and I'm sure you satisfied a lot of readers with that segment :D. Chapter 8 was like a cherry on top of a carefully crafted cake, especially the cheezy line at the very end. Now, to make my way through "The Chase."
Kaibaman64 chapter 8 . 2/5/2010
SOgood. I loved it, I would have never thought Seto Kaiba would ever even think about kissing a girl.
Shakuhachi Jade chapter 8 . 4/8/2009
First off, I am a fangirl. Fangirls are known to be avid supporters of yaoi couples, and I am no different in that. I do love some good SetoxJoey interaction. HOWEVER, I am also very much a straight girl in real life. I have a boyfriend whom I love very much. So I just wanted to let you know that your Mai gave such an excellent view into the female persona and psyche that I found myself wondering what in the world was so appealing about gay boys? Why wasn't I wasting my time reading (or writing, for that matter) stories about (het) relationships that are similar to my own? With a lead girl more like myself? Like this lovely story.

I think that's what drew me to the SetoxMai pairing in the first place. Kaiba is the depiction of masculinity, whereas Mai is the anchor of femininity (a bit feminIST, too, if I may add). I love them. The contrast reminds me so much of myself and my boyfriend-two halves of a wonderful and joyous whole that has been celebrated and studied for thousands of years: man & woman. *sighs approvingly* I still like yaoi (I've liked it for too long to turn back now), but I'm super pleased that someone finally got a het couple RIGHT.

*Incoming YGO Female Character Rant*

Serenity (to me) is straight up Sue. You can't get more Sue than a cute redhead with a bubbly, lovable, sweet personality and a near-perfect life. (Ew.)

Isis is rather...strange. I like her, but I don't think she'd ever work with Seto because of her connections to the ancient past and Seto's hatred of it.

Besides Tea-and I won't even go there; NO ONE can write her decently because they hate her too much (maybe you should try?)-Mai is the only character left (I don't count the ancient females 'cause I know nothing about them). The blonde femme fatale is left with the coolest attributes-a hard past, independence, passion, ambition, sexy looks, and cheeky mannerisms. She has her faults (arrogance and flightiness for starters) but overall she's one cool gal. And you wrote her perfectly.

*/end Rant*

This was a great story from beginning to end, and I can't wait to read the sequel. I'm sure it will be just as entertaining and interesting as The Lift was. One thing I loved most was your use of British colloquialisms mixed in with the characters' speech (I love foreign culture; you threw in words like 'arse' and 'rubbish,' and to me that's different and awesome -). I took notice of this because I'm writing a Joey-centric fanfic using my own local dialect (southern country twang! lolz). Anyway, thank you again for writing this! It was pleasing and humble, sort of like a Jane Austin novel (but shorter).

Gosh, I ramble on excessively sometimes... I better stop here. 'Twas a lovely fanfic in every moment.

Shakuhachi Jade chapter 5 . 4/7/2009
Wow. Excellent story so far. You've developed Mai's and Seto's personalities so well for them to have only been together a few hours. The time seems much longer because of the leaps and strides they've taken regarding one another. And they fit so well together! Makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside without there being any fluff whatsoever...and that's hard to write, I know. I like the flirting. Flirting is sexy and decidedly un-fluffy.

I really should be asleep right now (big test tomorrow-er, today...ick), but I've had a 'thing' for Arrogantshipping for a long time now, and your story has been the cure for my itch. I just can't stop reading! Thank you so much for writing. And I take back what I said in a previous review about your chapters being too short; I lied. This story is perfect in its simplicity, and the dialogue is beautiful. Way to change my opinion (for the better)!

Shakuhachi Jade chapter 1 . 4/7/2009
Very nice first chapter. Despite a few spelling errors (distain disdain), this was interesting, action-packed, and descriptive (which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for the other Mai x Seto fics I've attempted to read on here...). I especially loved your descriptions of the shattered mirror and interior wall of the lift. The characters are perfect. Most authors make Seto MUCH too nice; you've got him slinging insults just like the Seto we know and love. And you made Mai into a likable character (which I love to read, because I see her as the only decent female character in YGO). My only complaint is that it could have been longer. Nice work.

Dragon-Tooth chapter 8 . 2/16/2009
That was amazing! I loved how you kept them in character and how they were BOTH intelligent... far too many people take Mai as a ditz. Anyway, this was awesome and now I'm off to read the sequal! :D
NFO-07 chapter 8 . 7/30/2008
This is such a well written story! And the plot was so clever. I was surprised to find myself upon a intriguing story about these two. I would like to say you are a very good author and I very much enjoyed this.
animechick999 chapter 1 . 2/18/2008
OMG! This is such an amazing story! Once I started reading it I couldn't stop, I just kept reading it till the end! This is simply awesome! Can't wait for the next Mai and Seto story! Your doing great! Keep up the wonderful work!
Shekiah Rosay chapter 8 . 7/10/2007
Yay! How cute! _ Perfect ending!
Shekiah Rosay chapter 5 . 7/9/2007
This fic is amazing! Their in-character-ness in fantastic, as well as the storyline. You have them stuck in an elevator and it's not dragging? Awesome! I have a general policy of adding an author to my favorite authors when I like two or more of their stories enough for them to qualify as favorites. It keeps my favs from getting cluttered. And it also just pays homage to good writers. So... you make the list! Fav authors! _ Have some digital champagne - I'm French, I have plenty! But I digress, this has become an essay. Excellent work!
54 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »