Reviews for Anabasis
Anne Camp aka Obi-quiet chapter 12 . 6/13
Well, I finally got around to reading this, almost a decade later (sad day) and I'm really impressed. Very sad this isn't finished and I hope everything's going well for you. :)
Apple1892 chapter 12 . 6/3
I love this story can you please update it...
Jadaerys chapter 4 . 2/11
i desperately need a prequel to this! heheh, i’m hopelessly romantic and can’t get enough anidala ;) please
stars90 chapter 12 . 12/11/2017
This is fantastic work! I love the way you're depicting all of the interactions here, especially Dooku's
Reader-anonymous-writer chapter 11 . 9/23/2017
Surprisingly easy, isn't it, to hijack Jedi's search for Force-sensitive?
Just why did Anakin reach such a non-young age without being noticed by Jedi (or Sith, either?) earlier?
Did somebody or something shield him from detection?
Thank you. Good day, good night, and good luck.
Reader-anonymous-writer chapter 9 . 9/23/2017
Anakin, suicidal. Surprised that Palpatine didn't expect it, given that he is an expert in field of killing living beings.
Reader-anonymous-writer chapter 2 . 9/21/2017
Amusing. Did Dooku apprentice under Sidious in this timeline, or where did he learn darkness from?
serenity87 chapter 1 . 1/2/2017
Please please finish this story!
Fouinar chapter 1 . 12/30/2016
I don't know how to start this... Sometimes, though I love them, I wonder what is the purpose of an Alternate Universe : what is the point in writing the characters that aren’t the characters ? Anabasis is the kind of fic that feels like an answer. It is such a good story and well thought AU !

I quite enjoy the concept of Anakin starting as a Sith and slowly becoming a better person and opposing Sidious, and I have read some good things about that, but Anabasis is one of my favorites. There is a pace that I haven’t found anywhere else yet. It's slow but with a lot going on, the intense action of the final boss is over but we have so much emotions, strong relationships because of so much isolation, an established love that still needs to fight its way, a strong presence from a dead Palpatine, ... All the characters have their own personality, thoughts, reasons. I like that you picture the ones we know best so well and in character, and that you give so much life to the ones we only have a glimpse at. In this category, I particularly love Sabé. And how you took a character that we don't pay that much attention to, considered that the first thing that would come to mind to describe her would be 'handmaiden', and turned her into a deadly fierce woman with a dry tone and loyalty to someone else than the Queen of Naboo. Of course, that Padmé's bodyguards are fighters is not new, and she is one herself, but you made her be outshone, for once, at least in that. This time, Sabé exists as something else than a decoy ; and I am not really surprised that it happens in a story about getting one's life back. There is also Palo that I would like to see more of. Maybe not that much because of his character, but because I am quite curious to see the point of view of an artist in the Empire and post-Empire eras. (As a side note, I can't help but see the Venus humorously... Before we had a more precise description, I imagined The Mona Lisa with Jar Jar's head. And I wanted to say that someone needed to draw that but no!, the Internet is such an amazing place that of course it already exists !)

Oh, and Dooku ! I am so happy to have him in the main cast. He is a really intriguing character in canon, mysterious, and charming, and so original as a person. He is a real example of a grey individual : he is not a Jedi anymore, and he takes Sidious as a master and red as his weapon, but he doesn't exactly acts like a Sith, he is a Dark Sider with a calm and serene atmosphere, and thus not a Sith nor a Jedi. And he is the old villain with sad eyes before his death, reversing the situation and making the good Anakin the bad guy instead of him. And your story is a good representation of the blur that he is, with Dooku still being a Jedi, but with an interest for the Sith, and one of the only ones to show him some kindness. He is a marginal, and in that, plainly himself, and maybe he is the metaphorical personal goal of everyone else in this fic. Which, I think, would be a good retribution for him : to make him, in this universe, the one accomplished, instead of the one who unfairly got killed.

But, of course, the best is still Anakin. And I really love this version of him. Really, really love... You 'need' to give him more chapters ! :D He has an interesting journey, you put him in an exciting position (well, for the readers, at least), and he is touching me a lot, and I love seeing him interact with Padmé, but also with pretty much everyone else. And being alone, too. In clear, I just love him.

Something about him surprised me, though, and I would like to have your thoughts on this choice (but feel free to not answer me, please). In chapter 4, it is mentioned that Ani has three passions, which are his wife, flying, and cooking. But I expected some mechanics in there. Is it a difference between Canon and Anabasis!Anakin, and if so, why, or is just that it isn't mentioned here ? And why cooking ? Not that it bothers me, why not, but I was wondering what side of him made you interpret him like that (I know you have written a lot about the slave culture of Tatooine, and maybe I could find some answers if I dived into it, but I have to admit that I am a bit lost in it for now and I will never write that long time due review if I walk into that quest, and maybe my question would still be present, as I also wonder where your ideas of that culture come from (from hints in the movies? interviews? Star Wars books? other cultures in the far far away planet Earth? mythologies? just your imagination? a little tauntaun told you?)). (Note: I hope I don’t sound aggressive or disapproving in asking that, because I don’t want to make you feel discredited or doubt yourself. I like what you do, it’s impressive. I am merely wondering about the ideas behind, the origin of your inspiration.)

The similarities and differences with canon are a joy to read. Anakin evolving in reverse, from bad to good instead of the heartbreaking good to bad. I think I will like what you did with Bariss too, but I haven’t watched the Clone Wars yet (and here I am, reading fanfiction...). And the fact that, in canon, Anakin is deeply shaken and enraged by his mother’s death, while in Anabasis, he is by her resurrection, is well thought. I guess, if Anakin goes from bad to good, that element has to be upside down too.

Talking about upside down... I read on your Tumblr that you were rewriting Anabasis, and while I am more than delighted to know it will not be uncontinued, I saw you describe what is already posted and what you are currently writing as radically different stories... But... it was already so good ! What is going to change, and what is going to happen to version 1 ? I am worried about it. Sure, there are some parts I liked a little less and that I found bothering me a bit, and yes, I am dramatizing, since I love the bits of the new version I read on your Tumblr, but... how much 'radical' ? (Think about Anakin. "I don’t want things to change". Don’t make him suffer.)

But I am still very excited about it, of course. Can’t wait ! :) If I understood well, in the first version, Anakin still have both of his arms, while in the new version he lost his left ? I like that it is not the right as in the movies : Anabasis really is a mirror. There is also the fact that his body is all scarred, but he doesn’t have anything near his eye. Those are some of the elements that make me think this AU is well put together and an interesting alternative life.

(And I also liked to notice how Anabasis and Double Agent Vader are complementary AUs : in the latter, you take the villain Vader from IV-V-VI and make him nicer, while in the first, you take hero Anakin from I-II-III and make him the bad guy.)

About the part I liked less : it’s in chapter VIII, the flashback pieces of conversations. I like the idea, but the repeated "What do you remember?" sounds a little fake to me, and it makes the dialog seem forced (...!).

But I loved all the rest. I really appreciate reading a story about healing rather than fighting and saving the worlds.

Is the Japor Snippet gonna come ?
And if I am allowed another question, about an AU of an AU... How would it have gone for Padmé and Sabé if Anakin had died... Life goes on or not ? (Again, feel free to ignore me.)

Well, sorry about the length (and the possible inappropriate haughty tone?)... Maybe I should try for shorter, but I don't know what I should delete, so, long it is, and I hope it will show how enthralled I am.
Thanks a lot for this story, it is awesome, I love it, and good luck for what's next. :3
-And Happy New Year!-
lauramorgenstern chapter 12 . 6/5/2016
This was a very beautiful, powerful story. I especially enjoy how you wrote Anakin as having such strong connections with the women in his life, and a respect for their strength.
Iris chapter 12 . 5/3/2016
I love this story so much. I've read through it, and I'm completely in love. I love your writing, and your stories. Thank you for writing this!
Reader-anonymous-writer chapter 12 . 3/30/2016
I like Count Dooku.
Doc, what is wrong with him?
Thank you. Good day, good night, and good luck.
Bookwyrm25 chapter 12 . 2/10/2016
Whyyyyyyyyyyyy
This was really good. And consigned to the graveyard of unfinished fics.
Unstoppable Cyborg chapter 12 . 2/10/2016
Very good, I'm excited to see the revamped version! :)
ethereal girl chapter 12 . 1/15/2016
Very intriguing story with good characterizations, a pity that we dont see if or how anakin gets rescued. Liked the appearance of Doku and a very different obi wan