Reviews for Beaten
Acer83 chapter 29 . 10/13/2013
i like your story i hope you continue with this
VoicesInTheWind chapter 29 . 4/9/2013
This is a really excellent story.

I love your writing: the style; the tone; the characterizations; the dialogue; and especially the pacing, the rise and fall as Sam and those around him struggle to cope and recover. All of the characters feel very true to themselves, each speaking with their own distinct voice. You took your time examining the ramifications of the attack - not just for Sam, but for everyone else as well - and it felt very realistic and believable. I really love the way you explored Sam and Josh's friendship - as well as Sam and Toby's relationship - in depth.

I read the entire story in a day, hardly able to stop for a moment I was so wrapped up in it, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for writing this wonderful fic!
Goldleaf83 chapter 29 . 11/18/2012
A very good story, complex in plot and characterization. I think you do a good job with the voices of the characters: I could really hear Toby and Sam and Josh in my head as the main characters of the story, but you also caught CJ, Leo, Donna, and President Bartlet well too in their roles as minor characters too. While there are a few points of dialogue that are British rather than American, I didn't find them that distracting, and overall you do a great job in catching the cadences of the characters' speech. Josh makes an interesting character here, caught between regret over what he's done and said, guilt over the consequences on others, and the echoing effects of his own bout with PTSD. Sam is done well too, trying so hard to cope and having a tough time doing it, but you don't make him mawkish even while showing how hard everything is for him; the edge of anger he shows is realistic, as is his avoidance of Josh. Toby is wonderfully done, sympathetic and caring to Sam yet never sentimental. His attempt to jog with Sam, and CJ's reaction to it, was one of my favorite parts of the story, though I had many others as well.
Amanda again chapter 29 . 7/28/2009
Sorry, my email didn't show up in the review. It's amcs88 at gmail . com

Hopefully spreading it out some will keep from blocking it or whatever.
Amanda chapter 29 . 7/28/2009
I really enjoy your plots in all your stories. They are well thought out and it's especially impressive when you have several different plots and subplots going on, like in this one. And contrary to what one reviewer said, I like how nobody is completely good or evil in this fic. You manage to keep Josh sympathetic and in character instead of either blowing off what he did or making him a two dimensional villain.

That said, I think a lot of the dialogue is out of character. Not so much in what they're saying but more how they said it. I know it's been a few years and I don't know if you're still focused on any of these stories anymore, but you should seriously consider having an American beta-reader go through them for Britishisms, especially in the dialogue. I would be happy to do it if you wanted. My email is . Send me a message if you're interested.

Overall, they are all great stories. I just recently got back into West Wing fandom after a few years away and yours were the first stories I reread, then went on to the ones I hadn't read yet.
M chapter 29 . 3/22/2009
Where are you? This story is begging for an ending! LOL.
Lee chapter 28 . 11/10/2008
I've read quite a bit of WW Fan Fic, and I must say that I amazed by the reviews that indicate they think this story captures the voices of the characters. I'm afraid that these characters are so far from the actual characters created by Sorkin that they bear very little resemblance to them. You've taken isolated characteristics and turned the characters of Josh, Toby, and Sam into caricatures. None of these charcters is entirely good or entirely evil, yet that is how they appear to be written.
kk chapter 29 . 10/14/2008
hey!

so i can see you wrote this a very long time ago, but i just read all 29 chapters today. i had been procrastinating so i searched west wing on fan fiction and found this. i honestly loved it. thanks. the west wing details like the crab cake puffs actually made my day.

thanks again,

kk
iheartvolume chapter 29 . 6/24/2008
This is, by far, the best West Wing fanfic I've read. You did a brilliant job of capturing the personalities and styles of the characters. It was almost like mentally watching real episodes!

Great job!
Ecri chapter 29 . 1/9/2008
Beautiful! I loved every word!
Christina chapter 29 . 12/27/2007
Yeah an update...nothing beats a parental Toby and a poor hurt suffering Sam...I hope there are more updates to come..you def. made me happy this Christmas break. Great job and please continue soon
kamelion chapter 29 . 12/26/2007
WOW! An update, SWEET~! Now I have to go back and read the story, because I've forgotten the premise *twistmyarmowgoestoread*

So glad to see you're still writing this fandom! I'm about to start purchasing boxed sets since it doesn't come on tv anymore.

Kam : )
M chapter 29 . 12/26/2007
You're back! Yeah! I hope there is more to come.

Happy Holidays and a Productive, Peaceful, Joyous New Year!
M chapter 28 . 8/25/2007
Where are you? Any chance of finishing this fine story? I hope so.

M.
M chapter 28 . 6/4/2007
Enjoyable story! Particularly liked the President's talk with Josh about friendship and grooming Sam (and Josh) for the Presidency. Hope there's more to come. Thanks, M.