Reviews for Wayward Son
AAAAAAnd reread it again

wooo

Really shouldn't have stayed up until 1 twice but whatever
DearestDissapointment chapter 54 . 11/4/2016
Oh, uh, what class would cypher be be?
DearestDissapointment chapter 24 . 11/1/2016
(Reading this again because wants to start a hack on this but has no skill but likes reading anyways)

Wow, RIP... Vayin, was it?
DearestDissapointment chapter 83 . 7/2/2016
FEEELS

FEEEEEEEEEEEELS

Right, time to read the side story

But first, a review

BESTEST STORY OF ALL TIME

that is all

In all seriousness, I can't really find anything to fault other than the fact that pretty much nobody dies from being killed once, and if they're Yurt they don't die unless they take somebody down with them.

But that's a really minor thing

Anyways, BESTEST STORIES EVER
DearestDissapointment chapter 77 . 7/1/2016
And Canas is dead, and Nino goes to find Jaffar and never comes back. Why must the best characters die like this?

Well, Karel survives, at least, and Legault lives, unless he gets paired with Isadora, where it's implied that one of them kills the other. Or both die.

Uh, Pent and Louise live. Erk lives, unless he gets paired with Nino. Sain lives, uhh forgot what happens to a bunch of other cool characters.
DearestDissapointment chapter 76 . 7/1/2016
Nergal is deadend

yesh
DearestDissapointment chapter 75 . 7/1/2016
Right, funny situation that happened today in the chapter with Renault giving the Icon away

So Florina is defending Merlinus from a bunch of peg riders

Fiora's there too, but she doesn't do anything

One of the enemy peg riders has an elysian whip that I want Matthew to steal

Position everybody to defend merlinus

Meanwhile, Kent crits a mage and then gets everything except for luck in his level up

I end turn

Also Marcus is right next to the building where Renault is, but he couldn't get there in time

So stuff happens, Eliwood misses a 94 percent hit then gets doubled by a knight

Lyn crits a mage

Hector misses a knight, then crits the knight to make up for it

Then Florina crits the peg knight that has the elysian whip with a 4 percent chance, so now I can't get it, but I don't notice cause China just thrashed Czech in volleyball

Then Kent gets critted and gets left with 1 hp, no vulenaries nearby and Kishuna just showed up so even if I did have healers they'd not do anything

I get Marcus to visit Renault's village, then savestate because I realised I forgot to do it at the start, then realise I've just lost the whip forever unless I restart the whole thing

Then Eliwood misses a mage with 94% and somehow dies even though both are in the magic seal area

Then I go and watch some volleyball to calm down

then China gets destroyed by USA

Then I cry myself to sleep
DearestDissapointment chapter 74 . 7/1/2016
Aaaaaaand... rip Valek

Also I'm almost done reading but I don't won't to finish
DearestDissapointment chapter 69 . 7/1/2016
I still don't forgive Renault for being a terrible unit in FE7

Even if he's one of my favorite characters
DearestDissapointment chapter 59 . 6/30/2016
Ye Brammimond. Even if he's kind of a douche here. But then again, I'd be a douche to a mass murderer if I was almost immortal
DearestDissapointment chapter 55 . 6/30/2016
Yay Ephidel.

Seriously, why isn't he actually fightable

I'd take him over "This is a message from Lord Nergal" any time. Even though I like Denning, he's a sniper, which means he's practically no threat if you have 3 or 4 dudes to surround him against a wall and them manage to not die from the nameless morphs.
DearestDissapointment chapter 51 . 6/29/2016
Yeah, how the fuck do those forts hold so many people, and why do they all not appear if somebody stands on a fort?

Seriously, forts don't make sense.
DearestDissapointment chapter 41 . 6/29/2016
And now I am become sad again

Also Nergal is spooooooooooky

I wonder what would have happened if Nergal actually was able to use quintessence to revive somebody, and not just as a puppet. Oh well.

Screw Yurt

Why does nobody die is this fanfiction from being killed unless they're a side protagonist? It's like Awakening on lunatic mode all over again, just without Frederick killing everything.
DearestDissapointment chapter 36 . 6/28/2016
Well, I'm not going to say I didn't see her death coming, but holy shit my chest hurts
LordEphidel chapter 39 . 5/26/2016
As promised, a proper review that I can actually not be ashamed of. I apologize in advance if any of it is overly technical or critical; it's been a while since I've interacted with anybody who has not grown used to dealing with those sorts of things from me. I tried my best to keep all that to a minimum, but if have failed, feel free to ask and I will clarify as best I can.

Occasionally you use parentheses to add in some extra information, which I suppose is what they are supposed to be used for. Sometimes they go on for a little while, though, which can make it take a moment to mentally get back into context when the parentheses finally do end and the original text resumes. Potential alternatives include making shorter parenthetical phrases to make it easier for the reader to hold the old information in their head until they get back to it, moving them to the end of a thought so the reader doesn't even have to bother keeping track of the old information, or finding a way to just insert it into the text as a non-parenthetical statement in a way that makes it flow more naturally. Not sure if all that is official good writing practice, or just my personal preference, but either way, it's something.

Many of the characters up to this point seem certainly not two dimensional, but not quite three, either. Or maybe I'm just being picky and insane; my reasoning for this opinion is difficult to pin down, but I will try my best, else what was the point of even bringing it up? All the characters have a good, consistent set of traits that define them, which are more often then not justified with some experience in their past. This is good; not a lot of people even get that far. The next step (in my opinion), is to weave all the traits together into a deep, cohesive, and overwhelmingly human character. My preferred way to do this these days is to bombard myself with psychological theory and use that to painfully pick apart everything about them as I think about the character. My preferred theory is an augmented abomination based off of MBTI, but there are plenty of other theories out there, and the best one is whatever the writer thinks is the best one. Of course, there can be those writers who like none of them (a perfectly valid opinion), and another way I've heard of is to think about the character's entire life up until the story starts, considering not only the major events and milestones they experienced, but also all the countless trivialities and their everyday life. I haven't personally tried it, but I can only assume that the point is to eventually come up with some sort of rhyme or reason for why they do every little thing that they do. You don't even have to explicitly tell the reader any of the various factoids you came up with, unless it happens to be relevant to the story somehow-the goal is to make the character's interactions more rich and full, not to bombard the reader with a variety of irrelevant, seemingly random bits of information.

I enjoyed watching Khyron grow as a character throughout this arc. He was a bit over the top, at first, but in the end he came out quite well done.

I really appreciate the whole "use your hate as a tool" moral going on up to this point. Negative emotions are so often portrayed as exclusively terrible things that man must learn to resist the temptation of, but this is one of the very few stories out there that actually shows one to be the double edged sword it truly is. Bonus points for not only showing the strength of purpose hatred can provide, but also how it can be turned against you when you lose control of the situation.

Once again, thanks for writing all this. It helped a fair bit with getting me through my final few weeks of school.