Reviews for The Stars' Lament
Tariq chapter 1 . 2/19/2007
BeautifuL! Loved it!
Lady Razorsharp chapter 1 . 9/22/2006
Ah, poor Jazz. Poor everyone, really. Jazz is right; it's too raw for Magnus to go stomping through everyone's grief...though he's clearly mourning in his own way-but his way is to get rid of everything and plow ahead.

Nice work. You can really feel how much Jazz hurts. Interesting to see someone usually so happy-go-lucky just blow a gasket.
Chaotic Serenity chapter 1 . 9/3/2006
I've been reading through this series of vignettes, and I have to say I'm quite impressed by the balance of characters you've managed to portray. Alot of people who attempt to portray this sort of conflict post-TF:TM usually wind up relying on fandom cliches (Rodimus as a incompetent whiner - what?, Magnus the uncaring jerk, Jazz the grude-holder). While we see aspects of that characterization in here, nothing overwhelms the fundamentals of who you're portraying to render it completely OOC. You also balance it - Magnus has the honest, more logical perspective. Jazz and co. are being extremely selfish to suggest their anguish is any different from millions who have gone before them and will come, that the world has to stop moving simply because their sense of safe existence has changed. On the flip side, Jazz's conflict appeals to the individual sense that recognizes that such emotion is inherent to grief, and that the impact to the individual in war is often sacrificed for the "greater good." In either case, nobody wins; all of that misguided anger and grief merely builds up to a conclusion that reminds us rather unkindly of the ongoing cost of war.

And there alot of good emotion in here, mostly because you don't rely on melodrama to inspire it. You seem to recognize the core of emotional resonance is triggered more powerfully by aspects of the interpersonal rather than the flat, ambiguous nature of outside events.

This being said, there are one or two things I'd poke at wording-wise, but nothing particularly severe. I personally wouldn't have interpreted the 'bots as having so much firm opposition to Rodimus' rise, but you do a fine job of portraying it realistically. A good story, all around, if not a very, very sad one.
Ultra Rodimus chapter 1 . 9/3/2006
Poor Jazz. That was a hard blow to take. And poor Rodimus, being caught in the middle of all this. It'll take some time for them to come to grips with all this. Keep up the good work!
R Reich chapter 1 . 9/3/2006
This was surprisingly touching for me on an emotional level. I actually teared up when Jazz asked Red to lock down the others' rooms and Red mentioned about Ratchet's locker in the medbay. I don't know why, it just... touched me. I mean, the movie managed to clear out almost all of my favourite 'Bots, which will never stop being traumatic, so I guess that was part of it!
Super Chocolate Bear chapter 1 . 9/2/2006
You have a talent for setting up arguments where it's difficult to disagree with either side. I can see the points raised by the pre Movie 'Bots, as well as the post Movie ones, and it's hard to choose a side, since, hell, I love 'em both.

I liked Magnus' attitude to the whole thing - always the soldier, but just a hint of regretfulness when he mentions Optimus. Very balanced characterisation.

Also, Rodimus' intimidated behaviour in front of both Jazz and Magnus was wonderful. With averted gazes and mumbled sentences, I can really feel sympathy for the new Prime, something alot of writers overdo to the point of him becoming whiny.

And P.S. Powerglide isn't the only one who wants to pretend Astoria doesn't exist... _