Reviews for Consequences of life
clerical medical chapter 5 . 3/1/2011
Just wanted to say that I thought Ronon was absolutely spot on in this chapter - you really captured his voice.
serphimera chapter 9 . 9/3/2010
Ok, I admit, i am a little late considering the release date of the story, but I just recently found it, so sorry for the late review :-)

I really liked it very much, because it just filled a gap in the whole storyline of common ground, which was a great episode by the way. But I just couldnt imagine how anyone who was so close to a terrible, torturous death or even worse, especially for a soldier, to an almost-death as an old and physically destroyed person, could be able to just walk away from it. No way.

You came pretty close to my personal imaginations how one would handle this traumatic experience, thank you for this imo perfect tag ! I felt shivers done my spine by reading it...
Space1Traveler chapter 9 . 4/2/2008
Best line ever: “Hi. My name's John. I was captured by an evil Genii, and I was fed on by a wraith...”

I laughed until I cried. This story has lived up to my expectations of what SGA folk lore is all about. You outdid yourself with this one.

Thank you so much. You will never know how reading this has really, really helped me a lot. All of us have sadistic Genii and hungry wraith in our lives. You helped me to find a way to face mine and laugh, at least, just for today.

Well done, very well done! Oh, that was some good whumping too.
Amaq Iraluq chapter 7 . 5/18/2007
I'm loving this stroy! PLEASE continue soon! It's really good, and would be a shame for it to 'die' :(
Amaq Iraluq chapter 9 . 4/17/2007
Great tag!
Kristen999 chapter 9 . 3/4/2007
Honestly did not know what to expect out of group therapy or how you were going to wrap this up...but again I was so impressed. I really liked seeing Ronon drop by to see John and escort him to group. As much as I like Rodney and John friendship, your use of Ronon in these smaller scenes made a huge impact on the fic.

Though the end, in group made me smile, but made me almost misty eyes. This was truly an amazing read and I loved how you ended it.

“Okay. Everyone calm down. I’ll do it properly, ‘fess up and go first.” John paused and looked earnestly at each person in turn, before settling his gaze on Carson. “Hi. My name's John. I was captured by an evil Genii, and I was fed on by a wraith...”

The corners of John's mouth twitched and his eyes twinkled. Looking around the group of people, Carson saw John's attempt at levity had hit its mark. First Elizabeth smiled, then Teyla's soft mouth gracefully curled. Ronon let out a deep chuckle, and finally one side of Rodney's mouth moved upward. Yes, Carson concluded, as he smiled at John’s lopsided grin, John was going to be fine.

Awesome.
Kristen999 chapter 8 . 3/4/2007
John had to fall hard, but now I think he's ready for some true healing. HIs conversation with Carson showed that he broke a barrior of sorts, even if it cost him his poor abused hands.
Kristen999 chapter 7 . 3/4/2007
"John was surprised to see defiance, yet entreaty in the eyes of the gagged man looking resolutely into the wraith’s eyes. "

Wow John's viewing himself as someone else here...until he gains a sense of respect out of witnessing how strong he was to resist his torture and despite the viciousness and manner in which his humanity was to be stripped...John hada small amount of control over the situation. He was indeed defiant until the end and for him that manners so much.

Ronon's type of therapy I think is going to pay off, I don't think John should have done this on his own, but its what he needed, to pound all these feelings of anger into submission even if he hurts himself in the process. A little surprised Ronon agreed to grab John, but then again I think he recognized the self destructive behavior, though a semi lucid John threating Ronon was pretty funny.

Another intense chapter..really dug him and the punching bag..I could feel his exhaustion as he gave it everything he had.
Kristen999 chapter 6 . 3/4/2007
Oh John...I don't know if I want to hug him or throttle him..I know he needs this..has to face this but all alone?

I think its equal parts good he did and disastrous. I really felt in John's head after each files was accessed, brilliant job of letting us see the feed through his eyes after the fact.
Kristen999 chapter 5 . 3/4/2007
All right an amazing ton of stuff in this chapter. Again thank you for taking the time to develop the emerging symptoms of PTSD. I know one of the biggest fears and anxitiey from this ordeal is that video feed, the damage was immense in John's head. To him the demoralization of his suffering to his whole team undermines his image as a strong leader and for a man like Sheppard respect is vital since he has issues with insecurity to begin with.

Nice touch to add that he knew it was Elizabeth that got him his command vs the merit he deserved.

The best part was the Ronon interaction. His dry analysis of the situation, that what happened has happened and his distrust of all these coping mechanisms. Though he trusts in the Doc and so should John, but I think Sheppard needs to hear this unbiased opinion. For Ronon it all about releasing anger and John needs that as well, but I suspect he might take it too heart.
Kristen999 chapter 4 . 3/4/2007
My review for this chapter is simply this powerful exchane, its short, but it sums up I think the horror and pain of this chapter.

“I said, why did he do that to me? He didn’t have to humiliate me like that…don’t know why…”

John’s muffled words ceased as he gave into sleep.

“I’m so sorry, Colonel,” Carson whispered as he began to examine John and take the unconscious man’s vitals.
Kristen999 chapter 3 . 3/4/2007
Just kudos for taking your time for this fic, recovery doesn't happen in days, it takes weeks and you're not trying to cover that time lapse in sentences and I appreciate that dedication.

I also love Carson, he knows what John needs is a sense of normalcy, he knows how private of a person Sheppard is, with his status on the base as well as his internalization for coping. I'm glad you're beginning to cover the mental aspect as well.
Kristen999 chapter 2 . 3/4/2007
I think the conversation between Teyla and John was so on the mark, I could hear their voices in my head. From John's awkward realization that his team had suffered to Teyla's soft and understanding nature of his feeling ill to Sheppard's snap "no,!" Over ever wanting to talk about...she does know him too well.

Renal failure and a wraith enzyme, yes I'd say John may not be old, but the chemical reactions to his ordeal have wrecked havoc wight his system...again nice with the realism.
Kristen999 chapter 1 . 3/4/2007
This is exactly the type of post "Common Ground" fic I've been searching for. A realistic approach to the after effects of what John endured after the the rush of knowing he was alive wore off.

Found this line to be be exactly how I think John felt.

John saw the compassion return to Carson’s worn features, and inwardly cringed. “I know you want to retreat and lick your wounds, lad, but I can’t let you go until I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with you.”
ditraveler chapter 9 . 2/10/2007
Oh that was really good, you are such a great chracter writer, I love all your fics here, wonderful storytelling!