Reviews for Keepsakes
Cutter12 chapter 1 . 4/26/2012
This story touched upon a great fear of mine, and I'm sure many other people. To lose all your mementos- photos, letters and presents from loved ones would be so heartbreaking. Just things, but still mean so much. Nice story.
nessy22 chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
sad and heartbreaking. Just wonderful!
EmptySky chapter 1 . 5/21/2009
Good thing the fire alarm went off, and brave of Don to rush into his neighbor’s apartment when he did. He’s obviously not well, and I guess in shock if he’s cold, but I’m glad he’s physically okay. Apart from that, he lost everything. Everything he had, furniture, clothes, including pictures or things that were of personal value to him is gone. I guess I’d feel empty and alone there too. I’m glad everything ended p fine, that Alan was fine with giving Don some of the things he kept, and that those things included the other half of what Don lost. The way Charlie and Alan were there for Don was nice, they didn’t fuss in a bad manner but did just the right things. A nice story to read, indeed!
theonlyxception chapter 1 . 3/21/2007
First off, thank you for writing this story. It is true that the smell of the moment never goes away, nor the shock that comes with it. A year later and I can still smell it.

But although I didn't lose my whole house [lost a part of it], the smoke got into every crevice not thought possible. It got over everything as well as ourselves. And like Don realized, the smell of smoke lingers on the skin for what seems almost like ages.

We had a lot of things that were damaged as well, such as furniture and childhood things that will never be replaced ever again. First hand it is a pain to make a list of things that are needed again, or necessary for living. And still it is a pain to get those items, and rebuild your life at the same time.

But just getting this far is a stepping stone. Even though there are emotions that I still cannot express to anyone, you still realize that what you have, is one of the greatest miracles in itself.
Alice I chapter 1 . 9/27/2006
This piece nearly brought me to tears in some places.

Have you ever been in a fire?

Your grasp of this kind of heart wrenching loss was so well framed out that any reader could feel it.

When everything is gone but you are still alive it feels almost wrong to mourn the loss of material things. It isn't wrong or even unnatural. It is a grieving process that must be addressed and one that few people who have never experienced it personally can truly understand.

This piece brings that understanding closer to a reality for those who have never experienced this kind of loss.

Well done.

This one makes it onto my favorite stories list.

Alice I
The Silent Rumble chapter 1 . 9/5/2006
good work
jas0643 chapter 1 . 9/4/2006
Great story, I can see Don not calling his family right away.
merryw chapter 1 . 9/4/2006
That was well-done, a very good study of character! You portrayed grief in a very real and tangeable way.
rhiannondavidson chapter 1 . 9/4/2006
This is excellent writing. Not just the plot line, which I love, but you obviously took care with characterisation, spelling, grammar, in short, everything that goes into the making of a first-rate story. Good job.
Agentsassy08 chapter 1 . 9/4/2006
Like I've said on great story. I see its "chapter 1" are you continuing it?

Sarai chapter 1 . 9/4/2006
I love it!
chadon chapter 1 . 9/4/2006
Excellent story.
celadon chapter 1 . 9/4/2006
Girl, you are a writing machine! I wish I knew you're secret - takes me forever! Anyway, this just broke my heart.