Reviews for The Only Good Magician
Obvious Ghost chapter 1 . 6/29/2014
Wow, I haven't read these in years. But I remember Bartimaeus as somehow really funny and completely serious at the same time- just like you wrote him.
yellow 14 chapter 1 . 7/24/2011
Definitely in the same style as the trillogy. Keep writing
Resha04 chapter 1 . 12/30/2010
As sad as it is, it's true. Good magicians are the dead magicians.

Maybe because with their death, they prove their "good deeds"

Great fic. It's really touching. Made my heart ache all over again, but I really like this one
x Starry Starry Night x chapter 1 . 12/16/2008
Who is the "he" in the story? And what is his relationship with Nat and Kitty?
hoshitotsuki chapter 1 . 3/20/2008
this was so misreable, it held all of bartimaeus' contained pain which he hides behind others' pain (you dig) in one chapter. the ending line was so pitiful, i want to cry. on the verge of tears. i am lost for words. beautiful
the-coconut-bubble chapter 1 . 3/15/2008
Wonderful, wonderful. I've been desperate for another piece of the story (preferably from Bartimaeus) after I finished the last book yesterday (in a raging torrent of tears, I might add). This is my fix. Thank you.
Musa Rox chapter 1 . 10/30/2006
this was great. You portrayed Bartimaeus very well. the foot notes were true to from, and really funny. It really sounds just like him, funny, cynical, a tiny bit hopeful, and little sad at all the things he's lost
KrisEleven chapter 1 . 10/15/2006
Very good story. I like that you wrote in Bartholemew's point of view. I also liked the footnotes, and the fact that they actually added to the story, instead of just being there for looks. Great writing!
TwinsFindMe chapter 1 . 9/8/2006
wow! this is really good. i love the bartimaeus trilogy! i'm guessing this is a oneshot, but amazing job. a really great summing up of it all. i didn't like the way the real book ended. nathanial was one of my favorites:(

The Thirteenth Councilor chapter 1 . 9/8/2006
Excellent job. I've seen approximately zero Jakob fics, so good on you for being original! *proceeds to make a big deal* It was funny, and I laughed out loud a few times, but I don't know if I'd call humour the principle genre - though I don't know what else I'd label it as, so whatever. That was a waste of a sentence, wasn't it? Bartimaeus was very in character, in both the narration and the dialogue. Keep writing!
Din Kelion chapter 1 . 9/8/2006
That was a really soft, thoughtful story. I'm glad to of found it, and took my time to read it. :) I'll have to find out sooner or later if you've written anything else.

Bart's POV (Or is it PVO?) was wonderfully done. No sentiment, as- I'm sure- the real Bart would be.
XxBlackChaosxX chapter 1 . 9/7/2006
Okay, this story is really good, but there are a few flaws in it. Not plot wise, but grammar.

1. Bartholomew isn't a real name. Not for the character, and not for the real person. The character(Djinni) in the book is called BARTIMAEUS. The explorer that found some land for Spain is BARTHOLOMEU. There's no w in either name.

2. Kitty's friend's name is JAKOB, not Jakub.

Other then these few flaws, the story is really good. I thought these points should've been pointed out to you if they haven't been already.

Good luck to you in the future.

Rekhyt chapter 1 . 9/6/2006
One of the better ones I've seen in a little while, and I'm not sure anyone's done Jakob and Kitty like that before. I believe in the few others they end up happily ever after, but I like it much more this way - I think the thoughts and emotions of the characters are far more important than messing around with the canon plot. (Not to mention that is was very sweet.) Nice job, there.
dr.evil99 chapter 1 . 9/6/2006
I have never read the Bartimaeus Trilogy. But after reading this, it's going on my list of things to look at (once I get through my backlog of books.)

This has that sort of sneering, snarky humor that I love, especially with the "footnotes" that refrence the comments at the end of the chapter. I don't know the events that are refrenced, but this one kept me interested on the strength of the main character alone. It will be interesting to take a look at this after reading the source material. Indeed, the author should hire you to do promotional material for him, for I am most definitely interested.
waning crescent chapter 1 . 9/6/2006
I love the Bartimaeus trilogy, they are some of my favorite books, and I absolutely love the was you did Bartimaeus with the little notes, the fanfiction wouldn't be the same without them.

Its funny because you have written fanfictions for two of my favorite authors (Tamora Pierce and Jonathon Stroud) and for my favorite TV show... not including Project Runway.

This story is great so far, I hope Nathanial comes back. :]