Reviews for Love against destiny
TutorGirlml chapter 1 . 2/25/2010
Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed this story. You've made something beautiful out of the part of the trilogy that always makes me sad. Boromir is such a noble character and the Ring lures him to nearly lose all that, if not for his sacrifice for Merry and Pippin. I liked how you worked Ellin into the story so naturally and how she was able to change what happened. I also found humor in her staring at Boromir causing her to trip in the water. It would have to be a really handsome man indeed to make even a graceful elf clumsy! I realize you probably published this story long ago, but it was new to me. I really enjoyed reading, and I'm glad you shared it!
yue chapter 1 . 5/9/2009
i love it please contiue!
asdfjkl chapter 1 . 11/5/2008
cute! i just wish you'd expand on this. make it a full, lengthy story. a couple chapters. or a series of long detailed oneshots from the whole journey of the fellowship. like, how did the two meet? stuff like that.

anyway, lovely story. keep writing!
PrincessSYS chapter 1 . 6/16/2008
That a Better ending for Boromir!X)
szepilona10 chapter 1 . 2/2/2008
I really liked this story! I really like how you rate your storys! Many authers don't rate thier storys well, but you do!
pretty hobbit chapter 1 . 6/21/2007
*wub* *wub* *wub*

Priča mi se jako sviđa, zaista je predobra.

Nekoliko me rečenica osvojilo. *blush*

"Ellin felt as if the gaze gaze of the Lady burned her soul. She held her breath, unwittingly." *wub*

Znam za pogled koji prodire u dušu, ali ovaj izraz koji ti koristiš je puno bolji. *yes*

"She could almost feel the evil that streched its hands towards them."

Crne ruke koje se šire iz daljine i dopiru prema Ellin. Tako ja to zamišljam. Odlično. *yes*

"A gentle smile appeared on her face, and she dared to hope he felt the same as she did."

She dared...Koliko je "usuditi se" jače od "nadati se", a i koliko je samo stvarnije. *klap* Izvrsno. *klap*

Hm, možda jedina zamjerka samo na pojedine rečenice. Bilo bi dobro da tamo gdje možeš, dvije kraće rečenice spojiš u jednu veću. *yes* Barem se meni to više sviđa. *blush* Iako, to sam primijetila samo na par mjesta. :P

Posebno je dobro kako likove uključuješ u razgovor. Primjerice, kad razgovaraju Ellin i Boromir, Aragorn se uključuje u razgovor svojom primjedbom, nisi stavljala nikakve opise kako je dolazio i slično. Tako treba. :P *klap*

Još bih istaknula italic dijelove. :P Oni koji zapravo nisu bili izrečeni, a toliko su bitni u priči. *yes*

Eh da, pogledi i odjeci daju poseban osjećaj širine. Me likes. :)

Next. :P *klap*
Yemi Hikari chapter 1 . 6/18/2007
There are many issues with your fic, even though it is well written. And by the way, if she joined them in Lorienth, she can't be a tenth walker or a member of the fellowship.

'She was Elrond’s niece, a daughter of his younger sister.'

There is a problem with this due to the fact that Elrond and his twin brother were left in the care of others at a very young age because his father and mother were set to a certain task. With the distance typical between most elvin births, it would thus be impossible for him to have a younger sister.

'When Ellin was fifteen, her mother and father, an elf from Rivendell ...'

Are only one of her parents elven? This may just be a gramatical error, but if it isn't ... she can't be an elf. If her mother was the sister of Elrond, she would have been half elven and thus all children with a human would be human. But I don't think that was it.

The other thing with this, are you using human years or elf years?

'Aragorn and Elrond, who then became like a second father to her, helped her during the time of her grief.'

Aragorn is older then her or was a child? She would be very young then, either way and in no way would they have let an elfling ,because that is exactly what she is, partake in such a journey.

'Soon she started to learn how to use a sword and a bow, and unlike other elf women, several years later when she was fully trained,'

Ouch ... sorry, but in elven society, unlike human society, this is false. Females were allowed to do what ever they set their minds to becoming. And, in Elvin society there are two things that are reserved for only one group. The first is child birth as only females can do it. The second is the making of bread, which is the way the males show respect to the females. It is the one cooking they are not allowed to do.

And there are the canon issues from saving Borimer ... but as that was the goal of the fic, so that really is the only thing that works as it is the AU point of this fic.

Sorry to be nitpicky, but there are certain things in canon that have to be thought of. And as you can see I am very nitpicky about certain ones.
Istarnie chapter 1 . 11/29/2006
I really enjoyed this, Ellynn. The death of Boromir is one of the saddest points in the book / film for me. And I certainly don't see Boromir as evil - or even really bad. I think he is a very brave and noble character. I am glad you managed to save him!
Ellynn chapter 1 . 9/17/2006
To Fili:

I'm not an expert either. To be honest, I know maybe 10 elvish words, not more. *blush* When I thought about the name, I took the first 2 letters "el", because it means "a star". That much I know. :P

The rest - "lin" - was just my imagination, at the time, because the name Ellin was nice to me, and "sounded elvish", if I may say so, at least to me. Later, a friend of mine told me it could mean "star-song" (very free translation), because "lin" is the root of the word "to sing" (silmarillion, appendix).

But, as I already said, I didn't think about the meaning, I simply tried to invent a name that would fit in ME.

Ellynn

P.s. I wanted to take Ellin as my pen-name here, but it was already taken.

P.s.2. Thanx for the review. *hug* And I promise, there will be more stories about Boromir... :P
Fili chapter 1 . 9/17/2006
Yes, save Boromir! I don't know what Mr. Tolkien was thinking, killing him. I guess we, the fanfic writers, have to make up for it by saving him as many times as possible. :)

I do have one question, I'm not very well-versed in Elvish, what does Ellin's name mean?
Ellynn chapter 1 . 9/8/2006
Of course, I'm not reviewing my own story... *laugh* No, I just want to say something to all of you this way, although I already answered to some of you by pm.

Well, thank you for your reviews, you really made me so happy! Big hug to all of you!

- Val, I know I can post stories in Croatian too, but, no... at least, not for now. Some day... we'll see.

Kiss! :wub:

- Anastacia, thanx for those lovely words! And say "hi" to groshmog from me. :P

- Dancingkatz, one more time, thanx for everything. *hug* I hope that your classes and your work will not take all free time, and that we'll soon see more of your stories. Greetings to Daeron from me! :P

- John, thanx!

- Jas, my dear hobbit, there'll be more romance, you know it. :P

- Finduilas, I didn't really think much about keeping the "three hunters" intact, or about keeping other things - it simply turned out that way. It was written for fun, because I enjoy writing. Ok, and because I like Boromir, I admit. :P

If people like it - even better! It makes me happy.

I promise I'll be more careful about mistakes next time.

- Padme, this story is complete, sort of. There will be some more small stories with the same characters, but they will be independent from this story. ;)
Padme4000 chapter 1 . 9/7/2006
cool cant wait for the next chapter
Finduilas88 chapter 1 . 9/6/2006
I liked this story very much, which surprised me, since I am *not* a usually a fan of '10th Walker' stories. (On the other hand, a story that saves Boromir is always worth a look, IMO.)

I particularly liked the way you were able to insert the new character and have her make a major change in the storyline without adversely affecting the general thrust of the story; for instance, I thought it was clever that you saved Boromir but found a way to keep the "Three Walkers" story intact. Good job!

I did notice some awkward phrasing ('returned back' is redundant) and misspellings, (using a double L in 'always' and 'although') though those problems could be eliminated with a good spell-checker and a good beta reader.

Story-wise, the one thing I found a little hard to swallow was that Ellin was supposed to be Elrond's niece. Elrond's family is *very* well known, to put it mildly, and everyone who's read _The Sil_ knows that Elrond had no younger sister. You might have been better off giving her less exalted parentage; for instance, you could make her Elrond's ward, the daughter of some friends who had died. That would explain why she knew Aragorn so well without inserting her into Elrond's family.

But all in all, good job, and I hope to see more of your work! (More Boromir fans are always welcome!)
BigEnoughUmbrella chapter 1 . 9/6/2006
I really liked this! Very good. :b
dancingkatz chapter 1 . 9/6/2006
First of all! Here's a big hug! Congratulations on posting your first story. I'm sorry my suddenly busy schedule didn't let me get the beta completed. Well, we all know real life is never concerned with our needs to write fanfic.

As I told you in our emails, I really like Ellin and you've managed (in my opinion) to avoid having her be a Mary Sue. She's just right for your Boromir.

I think that a mark of an excellent story is one that holds up well when translated into another language. I believe "Love Against Destiny" proves that. I'll go ahead and send you the file of the stuff I did in regards to the betaand you can decide what you want to do with it at your leisure.

Back to studying for my Latin class... Congrats again!

Dancingkatz