Reviews for Exposed
balaustine chapter 1 . 2/27/2008
This is great. I've always wondered what Larry's story was.
astrakane chapter 1 . 2/10/2007
well i don't fell it that angsty... it's just seems rigth to me. you know, not "too"! too angst, or too much pity...your fic looks real, and it's lake it even better!
Devi chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
Wow, wonderful work, amazing, for sure... I'm gonna read some more of your stuff... hey, have you ever thought about doing some fics on some other John Hughes films? Like Pretty In Pink, maybe? I'm sure you'd pull off some incredible stuff, you've got so much angst to work with in that one, having the whole Duckie situation... Yeah, I'd really love to see that happen.
UnicornPammy chapter 1 . 9/12/2006
wow. i just want to say that you have totally blown me away again. correct me if i'm wrong, but i got the feeling that people were supposed to think it was andy at the beginning of the story. that's what i felt. and then when i learned it was larry, it's like, "oh, wow." i like how you made their lives very similar. and i like the end, where they see each other, and you get a feeling that andy is trying to say something. ok, i'm being rushed to go somewhere, so i can't say everything i wanted to. but bravo once again on a yarn well spun.

Pam
Jesse Hayes chapter 1 . 9/9/2006
Awesome! I was totally fooled. I think I audibly gasped even, lol. Great job!

-L
TWbasketcase chapter 1 . 9/9/2006
Hey Kendall.

Good job finally getting this up. You had me fooled at first; I thought it was from Andy's POV. But, I was pleasantly surprised with the way you portrayed Larry.

For someone that Andrew qualifies as a loser and weak, he sure does a lot of extra curricular activities of his own. Running for an hour of the day does take a lot of time and energy. Its interesting that Andrew finds someone like that weak.

The way you explained all of the beating seemed so outright and emotionless. Larry seemed to be in some other world almost when the whole thing was happening, almost like he knew what was going on, but his thoughts jumped from hit to hit.

The emotion was probably the best part of the story. Some of it (like above) seemed so cold, and other parts seemed so casual (the beginning), hateful and ashamed (the end). Every one was described really well and you could really sympathize with Larry here.

Anyhow, sorry for reviewing so late. You did an awesome job. Very well written, and very realistic.

Kristen
Jenifer-01 chapter 1 . 9/8/2006
I would agree with you this is definitely the most angst you’ve ever written and you’ve done it so well! The title of this story said it all. I also thought you’re subject matter was utterly heartbreaking.

I really like the way you at first paint a picture of the character maybe being Andy and then eventually reveal it’s actually Larry Lester. You picked the exact right place to reveal that with it being when the beating starts. That was a shock, very clever. I thought the actual similarities between Larry and Andy were incredibly interesting. Larry running like clock work every morning, his own father’s school glory being a lot to live up to, trophies that feel very empty (I liked what he had his trophies in as well). There’s also similarities with Brian, having a mother who hammers him with questions about school daily. I really like the way you also had Larry not being stereotypical, he hates physics and calculus, gets bored during class etc.

You built up such a strong image of Larry alone in that locker room, everyone wearing the same uniform and no body paying him any attention. The actual attack was shocking, you really got across the humiliation and anger and fear he felt and the words you used to describe the attack itself were very powerful. I felt so bad for this kid. I also loved that through all that you had a real brief mention of Larry noticing Andy’s reaction to what he’d just done. The question about what his father and mother would think was devastating as was his reaction to the aftermath of his attack. The cold atmosphere of his house, with his father being unsympathetic and not acknowledging what happened was good. I also thought his response to his mother was realistic, as if you’d want to discuss that! I love what you did with him remembering laughter, red-hot shame and the silence and how it built up and he ended up punching a tree and doing some serious damage to his arm while thinking of Andy. That was a very effective image. All the things he couldn’t do to Andy so he did it to himself. I really liked this line- “I feel like a wounded solider, carrying a swollen, bloody arm like it’s in a sling.”

It was a great idea to have Larry see Andy at the end. I liked the way Andy reacted to him and the way something stops Larry from saying anything. This was a very accurate and sad one shot! You did this subject matter total justice.
ZGory chapter 1 . 9/6/2006
Poor Larry! At first I though that you were writing from Andy's point of view because I guess I see Larry as I see Brian, someone who might be interested in calculus and physics. Once again you have proved how much of a wonderful writer you are. I love all your work! You make me feel what the characters feel ,and that is such a wonderous thing. Thank you for typing this. It was excellent.
Nova chapter 1 . 9/6/2006
Well, that was a really well-written and interesting insight into a character we don't hear a lot of. I like the fact that Larry dislikes Calculus and Physics, though to try to explain why, exactly, would be difficult. I think it has something to do with making him less like a total nerd and a lot more like anyone else.

I was worried, at first, that he was going to end up killing himself. I like the way it ended though, like here's something terrible that's happened that will really only affect two people deeply, and so life will still go on, just as it had before. Funny how life tends to do that.

The scene in the locker room came very close to making me cry. That was really heartbreaking, just how he couldn't bear to look at them when he realized that, of all things, they were laughing. And how out of place it felt, like why was he suddenly getting beaten up and humiliated?

Very intense, I suppose is the right word, and though a little angst-ridden it seemed very believable. Nice one-shot.
Tessie26 chapter 1 . 9/6/2006
Wow. Just, Wow. That was amazing. Very few writer possess the ability to make their audience think they're reading about one character, when their actually reading about someone entirely different, but you did that beautifully. I would've never guessed that this wasn't in Andy's POV until the attack actually happened. Great. I'm not sure I would've gone as far as having Larry breaking his own wrist, but that's an artistic difference, so it really doesn't matter.

I hope to read more of you work.

-Tessie
IGottaFindYou chapter 1 . 9/6/2006
Wow, this is SO good!...and sad...(
Philipa Aleshre chapter 1 . 9/6/2006
I read this at my computer's class (I wasn't listening the teacher, I didn't care about what he was saying U), and I felt something weird inside of me. Lots of goosebumps and there were times when I thought I was gonna cry or something.

I've never thought so much about Larry Lester, I mean, yeah, I felt bad at the movie when Andy thought about "the fucking humilliation he must have felt", thinking about Larry's dad. And I when I read his father's behaviour I wanted to cry, because he... God, I don't know, that depressed me so much. The whole fic I felt in touch with Larry, and I was almost able to feel everything he could: since Andy taped his butt, everything happening so suddenly that he barely noticed what the other guy had donde to him; until he saw Andy outside the Bronco and wanted so bad to just punch him in front of his dad, all that rage almost invade me, I would have screamed if I had been alone.

Good work here, Kendall! I liked it a lot.

Bye! Keep writing!