Reviews for The devil you know
books-n-cookies chapter 17 . 5/9/2010
Ahhh I can't believe you killed Tony! But either way, your story was incredible. I seriously had no idea what was going to happen next in it, you certainly kept me on my toes! Really intriguing story, I really enjoyed it! I hope to read more of your writing sometime soon :) Great story!
AmILeo chapter 17 . 1/17/2009
That was sad. I loved it.
imag1ne chapter 17 . 1/3/2009
Loved it! You have a great talent for writing angst while keeping the characters in ... well ... character ;-P

The tension was always high, which made me keep guessing as to where you were going with the story. And, whether it was part of a delusion or real, the dialogue on spot. Dialogue, as you know, as always been a pet peeve of mine - it has to fit the character! and you did it it perfectly. In fact, a lot of Tony's conversations with his images made me smile a lot. If that's wrong - then, well, ::shrugs:: I guess it's something I'm just gonna have to live with.

In any case, I really enjoyed the story - and, BTW, I wasn't fooled by the Ducky thing - although I kept thinking that McGee's bronchial issue was going to somehow play into HIS death ;-P

Thanks for a great read!
sentarla chapter 17 . 1/18/2008
was totally not expecting that ending, can't remember it being labels as a death fic hmm must have missed that warning. good story, did not really like the end as I hate the thought of tony being killed, and there did not seem to be any deal, you know, kate go free and tony has to do something no questions asks, that never showed up. overall good fic, thanks
Denouement Intrusion chapter 1 . 1/14/2008
I believe customary politeness requires that you put a CHARACTER DEATH WARNING in the summary gr..

I have no objection to character death stories but I DO want to know that's what I'm reading and in this story in particular that warning would not have spoiled the "surprise" ending because of the side issue of Ducky.

This story had so much potential that was unfulfilled and lost in the desire to make it a "serious" story - I could take the final death BUT there are so many unanswered questions - such as what the HELL was all this mayhem about in the first place? What the hell was so worth protecting that someone would f**k with a federal agency to this extent? I mean, the bad guys seemed to have unending amounts of resources and intel and people - who the heck were they, the CIA? Why didn't Gibbs report to the director BEFORE he was walking around wearing a wire put on him by the bad guys? For that matter how does the Director of NCIS NOT hear about one member of his premier team being near death in the hospital and a second member of that same team missing at the same time, for more than 24 hrs?

I mean the reviewers and even you to a certain extent try to float the idea that this has an unhappy ending because it's such an artistically serious piece and "real life doesn't always have happy endings"...but come ON! It's a "dark and stormy" night at the denouement? I mean, you want to go for the shock value, well, okay; but if you are serious about artistic pretentions at least try to wrap up the plot or plug SOME of the holes. Which are gaping, to put it mildly.

I'm somewhat irritated because generally when the plot is this fragmented, convoluted and unresolved, it's because the story is being written largely for entertainment; and such pieces generally more or less take you along for the roller coaster ride and allow you to sit back comfortably and enjoy the guys from your favorite fandom as they have interesting adventures, solve mysteries, catch and/or punish bad guys and wrap things up in a reasonably comfortable ending.

Stories that desire to be more serious and thoughtful explorations of the human condition, in general, seem to focus more tightly on a much simpler plot, which is usually straightforward and completely resolved; the story may go on for fifteen or thirty chapters but the underlying events that precipitate the contemplation of life, death, love, and the meaning of the universe are usually simple, pointed and briefly related.

I guess what bothered me the most here was that there was so much good writing and talent for storytelling that seemed to get sidetracked into what I can only describe as a certain amount of artistic pretentiousness and going for the shock value.

I realize this most likely reads as a particularly nasty rant; it is not really meant to be. You have a lot of talent. But high action adventure, essentially bubble gum for the brain, is not really compatible with serious, thoughtful contemplation of heavy philosophic issues; trying to insert the latter into the former is jarringly dissonant. I can appreciate both genres equally well and I have no problem with angsting over a main character death; but I generally prefer my bubble gum straight up, so to speak.

Pardon me for running on ( or off!) at the mouth on this issue. It's one in the morning and I haven't slept since Friday and I have just come across a number of "mixed breed" works over the weekend; none, however, written by someone who seems this skilled. Do try to write one or the other, high action adventure or serious artistic/philosophic contemplation, as purely as possible if you can; I think you have the tools to be successful at either. And please do forgive me for taking up so much of your time...I get loquacious when I'm tired ( ;) ).
Natalie chapter 17 . 12/6/2007
Wow. This so wasn't the ending I was expecting. I'm so glad you had the courage to write it though! I'm trying to be all smart sounding, but I'm just in shock. This has blow me away. Bravo! *hands over ALL the cookies*
Laura-trekkie chapter 17 . 11/27/2007
Oh. I don't know what to say here. This was so sad. It worked for the story, I guess, but I have to admit I was disappointed, too. For them to have been so close, yet it not be enough in the end :(.

Powerful stuff, especially how it affected Gibbs.
Laura-trekkie chapter 16 . 11/27/2007
Mike is *so* for it! I'm glad the bad guys are dealt with, so that everyone can focus on Tony. He just needs to hang on. I just hope that whatever Gibbs said is enough.
Laura-trekkie chapter 15 . 11/27/2007
*Eep* No, Tony. Gibbs is there now, so just hold on!
Laura-trekkie chapter 14 . 11/27/2007
Good old Fornell; Gibbs can count on him at least.

Please let Gibbs be on his way. There's no telling what state Tony's in now (I refuse to believe he's dead after everything!) and there's still Kate and now Brian to worry about. Not to mention finding Ducky, whatever state he's in.

Hurry Gibbs!
Laura-trekkie chapter 13 . 11/27/2007
Yay Brian! Can't say I'm sad to see James getting his comeuppance. I was disappointed that Gibbs' visit to Ducky's house didn't give more conclusive answers, but why would those men be there if it was all done with? The house was already clean, so that can't have been it. Hm. Glad to see Tony staying with it as much as possible, still managing to lie to Mike and distinguish between the Gibbses.
Laura-trekkie chapter 12 . 11/27/2007
I'm relieved that Gibbs managed to find the words to get Morrow off his back for a bit and I was never so happy to see sign language :).

Not so good for Kate, and especially for Tony. Can he find the will to fight now that the hallucinations and whispers have finally wormed their way past his defences?
Laura-trekkie chapter 11 . 11/27/2007
*Eep* Ducky! Kate! I'm hoping that the strange camera focus is good news and that there's an antidote for whatever Kate was given. Great to see Tony getting so much information, but now I just hope he gets the chance to pass it on. Hopefully James will leave him in a state where he can use the phone if/when Brian turns up.

I'm glad McGee's let Morrow in on everything. Hopefully that will work in their favour with Gibbs' current mission.
Laura-trekkie chapter 10 . 11/27/2007
This was a tense chapter! I'm cheering that Tony's got himself as far as he has, but how long can he possibly keep it up with the state he's in and his captors not far away? What of Gibbs, worse, what of Ducky? And just whose name is giving McGee such worry that he's going to take it to the director?
Laura-trekkie chapter 9 . 11/27/2007
I'm glad Tony still had enough wits about him to keep the hallucinations at bay and contact Gibbs. It's not such good news that Mike's waiting for Gibbs. What will happen next and who will pay for it?