Reviews for The Zaibatsu Project
Natrim chapter 17 . 3/24
*makes a note of the fic for helping to flesh out the next Shadowrun 'run*

Nice work! Liking it!
catharsys chapter 17 . 2/2
To be honest, sci-fi AUs don't appeal that much to me, which is why I haven't given this fic a try even if I've been seeing this around for quite a while. Buy boy, I'm beyond happy that I finally gave it a shot! Stupid of me, really; I loved your other fic-Tanabata Jasmine-and that should've been more than enough of a push for me to read this one, too!

Anyway, I just want you to know that your writing is impeccable! It has the right balance of everything: dialogue, narrative, characterization, action, and imagery. Even better than some stuff that are officially published out there, if I may say so.

I also love the way you plot this out. Action-packed and intriguing! Yet, it does leave some space for the reader to "breathe," if you know what I mean. Applaud!

Looking forward to more chapters! :)
skenshingumi chapter 17 . 1/24
Oh, this really had me smiling. After Kenshin's dramatic solution to providing an escape last chapter, his fumbling into Megumi's clinic was a riot. You have that rurouni-ness down pat, although clearly Soujiro isn't buying it. Aoshi's deadpan, "He would have to enter in such a fashion" and the almost unbelievable, "In fact, it wasn’t entirely deliberate" were great bits of comic relied in the midst of all this tension.
J Luc Pitard chapter 17 . 1/9
Love how Soujirou sees how alike he is with Kenshin (pretty apparent in the manga, except that one was raised by a psychopath and the other by a misanthrope.) He's onto Kenshin, but in the time it takes him to figure it all out, Kenshin has some maneuver room. Aoshi kept to the shadows nicely and Megumi held her own... almost. Love her bravado at the end. Let it out, Megumi.
Glad you updated and looking forward to more, as the muse strikes.
Khrysalis chapter 5 . 1/8
This story really is remarkably complex! Even as I'm reading about other events (or up and about doing chores as I am between reading these chapters) I'm actually thinking about the stuff alluded to about the past. Especially Kenshin's involvement. Just like in canon, he helped bring this present era about. In particular, I'm pondering his involvement with the street samurai and what he may have had to do there...

Kenshin's presence is heavily felt even when he didn't have an appearance in this chapter. Foremost in the thoughts of his enemies and his ally, and even touching for a moment on Kaoru's.

Speaking of Kaoru, I've supposed that Yahiko's impetuousness must be a learned behavior, though I think she hasn't considered the irony that she's doing a similar runaround on Sano that Yahiko did to her. I understand their feelings, but it amuses me when she's calling Yahiko a stupid kid while she's preparing to, well... I've said before, can't fault her courage.

Aoshi's scene with Shishio and Kanryuu and the metaphor about chess were brilliant. This game will be especially difficult for Aoshi, because he is technically moving pieces on both sides of the board.
Khrysalis chapter 4 . 1/7
I like how the reader is made privy to some very secretive communications, but it only deepens the mystery.

I enjoyed seeing a little bit more of the world that Sano and Kaoru live in. Well, by "enjoy" I meant I liked the way you described it, as lesser Tokyo actually doesn't seem to be all that pleasing to the senses. This world is an example of how high technology shouldn't be confused with luxury or leisure. Lesser Tokyo seems to have many layers, as we get a little of the contrast where Kaoru lives and where Sanosuke lives. Downtown has a seedy, choked, and congested feel to it.

I probably said so before, much earlier, but I love the way you write Sano. Strong, loyal Sanosuke. And Kaoru, for that matter. You can't fault the girl's courage. Though, perhaps, you can fault her good sense. Sometimes.

Yet, Yahiko's plight is just as she fears. Of course, she's going to kill him if he survives this. I kind of feel like killing him myself, the little nit. After he's rescued and brought home, of course.
YokaiMoonRiver12 chapter 1 . 1/7
This is an amazingly well written story and I was instantly attracted to its characters and plot. I do a little happy dance when ever I see a new chapter. Keep writing!
Reignashii chapter 17 . 1/6
A lovely reread xD looking forward to the next one!
Khrysalis chapter 3 . 1/5
This is the part where my memory of reading this a while back fails me, so I got the full impact of this meeting. I can echo Kaoru's earlier sentiment of wanting wipe off a few smiles. On the whole, this has been a very bad day for the good guys, and what's at stake—and what Yahiko has gotten himself into—is becoming a little more clear.

Some tantalizing hints of Kenshin's past, which looks to be as much as a guilt-ridden tangle as ever. Very tense and intriguing chapter.
Khrysalis chapter 2 . 1/5
I know the formatting on LJ looked niftier, but you managed to compensate for it fairly well. Anyone reading the story here instead will get the basic idea.

The world portrayed here reflects the way society is going right now. Family corporations being the true power behind the politics, the new issues for schools, foreign-object modifications that offer conveniences at the cost of privacy and freedom of movement, and rules and laws that are only there to keep little nice people in line for exploitation.

There were so many things I liked in this chapter. I liked the chat between Sano and Kaoru, getting more insight on their friendship. I think you gave Misao probably one of the best possible jobs you can give a ball of fire like her. I like the contrast, Kaoru seething and searching in the shadows, and Misao standing in the light with a loud voice.

It amused me some when Kaoru was longing to live in a time before computers. I wonder, if she could meet her Meiji-era counterpart and see the way she lived if she would still believe that, as that version of Kaoru had plenty of difficulty, unfairness, poverty, evil plots, and crooked government in her own time. ...Or, thinking about it, maybe not. Maybe in Meiji-Kaoru's time it was a lot more trouble to prepare a bath, but at least when it was done she could soak as long as she wanted, not eight measly minutes before the shower turns cold.

I developed an instant dislike for that Sakura woman, and wouldn't mind some satisfying fate for her later on.

The last nugget I want to remark on is how you wrote that Kaoru couldn't fight the laws of physics any more than she could fight the corporation. I couldn't imagine a better way to illustrate just what a powerful force she's up against. Even Sakura's dismissal of her and Gohei's manhandling didn't say it any better.
Khrysalis chapter 1 . 1/4
I've commented on some of these chapters on LJ, but it's been so long I didn't see any reason not to re-read and review again. Well, actually I thought it best to reread before getting into newer chapters, but to my surprise, this first chapter was just as fresh in my mind as it was the very first time I read it. Maybe it's because of the flawless characterization. Despite this whole different era and all its entirely different sets of influences, they are still who they are, they still have the same personalities and right from the get-go relate to each other just the same.

I can also remember being amused at Kenshin, always people-watching, the wry understanding of the nature of the net and the nature of humans. Perhaps it's a good thing after all that humans can't shape themselves to their liking, because this is precisely the result we would see.
An update! Squeeeeeee!

Genuinely laughed out loud for a long time at the end when Megumi smacks Kenshin. I can empathize with her frustration and he does need a wake-up call every so often. (One of my favorite parts of the second live-action Rurouni Kenshin movie is when Sano socks Kenshin. He did have it coming. :))
The Gen. Public chapter 17 . 1/4
Amazing. So much love for this story. The buildup and anticipation is exceptional, and I cannot wait for more.
Icarian chapter 17 . 1/3
Still enjoying this immensely
Kesshichan chapter 16 . 12/7/2014
Such a cool concept! Love it