Reviews for Tavington's Heiress
Secretly-A-Fangirl chapter 22 . 2/5
I love your story so far, all the details and notes you've put in it making more sense to me than some part of the movie did! I actually started crying when Biddy was killed and my dad gave me a weird look until I made him read the chapter. You're a great author, keep up the great work!
When the life of the Tavingtons was at last peaceful and happy, the service in New York happened. The King had the last word at the letters case. At least he wasn't sent to India. Strakes' proposal at Penelope and Jane's pregnancy were wonderful and joyful news and counterbalanced a little the sad one of William's going away. The marriages took place, a happy summer time at the Hall with family, friends and a lot of children! and births. Tavington's letter to Jane was sweet and beautiful. I am glad he wrote about his true feelings and love for her so openly. The paragraphs about what happened to everyone afterwards were so realistic, some of them sad (the early deaths), excellent and brilliant. And so the story -sadly- finished.

I find "Tavington's Heiress" the best Tavington fanfic I have ever read. And I have read nearly all of them. I love your writing style. I love the plot. I love the portrayal of the characters fictional ( from the movie or your own creation) and nonfictional. I love how you put the true historical facts into the story ( I liked that also in "Arcadia". Another superb story of yours but I like this one a bit more). I like the details of everyday and social life of that time. You write brilliantly all the genres in the plot: drama, romance, adventure, comedy, mystery. I don't know what else to say... I really adore it! Thank you very very much for writing and sharing this with us.
What the Tavingtons got for the letters was great and they deserved it. Not only the titles but what they demanded for others too: Bordon, Moll, Strakes and the fellow soldiers from the war. It is perfect that they proposed to Protheroe to take John's seat. I so happy for Lucy as well as for Letty. She took her life in her hands and she's enjoying it. If cousin Mary only knew...! The two books were a success, more happiness for the entire family. Although William and Jane didn't like Fanshawe, I see they adopted some of his habits - their dialogue was funny! Both Jane and William said that they are truly happy and it was so sweet. They are happy but I am sad because there are only 2 chapter left to read.
Letty was so happy with her new house. Now she would be a person on her own and do whatever she wants. I see Harmonia is determined to show her good self in order to live with Letty comfortably. I was laughing at Tavington's request to Jane to show him what Fanshawe did with Letty! Another threat and the family went to the Hall. The Battle of Wargrave Cross was such an exciting and thrilling chapter. The suspense was so much I could hardly breathe! When the three men were nearly to be killed, Mr. Strakes as a deus ex machina saved the day! (At that point I thought that this is how Strakes will bond with the family and a romance with Penelope will soon begin, as I had suspected at the funeral). I must not forget the other hero Rambler! And Jane of course couldn't have stayed back! But all ended well. Tavington finally said that he loves her (yes!so wonderful) and Jane said it back! The big secret was revealed and their loyalty to the crown was a bit unsettled. Amazing chapters as always!
Emily's welcome to the family was very warm and nice, nothing like Jane's. It is wonderful that all these women fit together and be real family. The children were cute and Ash's comment on whipping was funny - he spends as it seems much time with the Colonel! John was adorable being so 'foolishly' in love and happy! After this lovely start of the chapter, I was on the edge of my seat more and more as the plot was unfolded. Fanshawe died, RIP blah, blah, blah! De Veres' plotting and the presence of Malahyde startled me. My thoughts of Harmonia are very much improved. She did try to be friendly with Letty generally and not only she was smart enough to connect the dots but she planned and executed the great escape to Jane's house amazingly! And then, noone could keep Jane from doing what she did! Jane was awesome! Bellini was amazing, such a loyal friend and good fighter! Well, he is Italian! The Tavington brothers acted both well and quickly. I loved William and Jane's little talk about shooting and the pistols. The last part with Jane and Mrs. de Vere and the wig was so much fun! Those chapters were very thrilling, brilliant and marvelous! Bravo!
I am glad for the publication of Caroline's book! I don't know what to say about the events at Fanshawe's house! Poor Lady Carteret! Her mother in law and the doctor are absolutely horrible and stupid people! The only thing they managed was to have the poor mother and child killed! Fanshawe's behaviour towards Jane was despicable. I wouldn't blame her or Tavington if they had shoot him! (And of the entire population in England he is the one with knowledge about the famous box!) On the other hand Bellini was such a gentleman! I enjoyed very much Letty's explosion to that brat Harmonia! I hope she will change her character after the shocking news. Poor Letty turned back to her old days behavior. The separation between the sisters must be unbearable. I wonder again: can't that awful man just die?! What I was afraid happened. When the circumstances were favorable William couldn't keep himself off Mrs Robinson. Jane's forgiveness was forgotten as well as his uncle's words.
Finally the time for Moll's wedding came and I was so happy for her and Tom. Poor Ash! He thinks that all people are leaving him. Everyone had a good time until the news of mamma's death. Which turned out to be murder! How thrilling! And all of this because of the papers in that box. (You are very good at writing mystery too!) I was so sorry for Lucy during the reading of the will and later when Anne couldn't keep her mouth shut! But Caroline put her in her place! It was lovely the Earl's playtime with the little boys and even if he seems to miss things that happen around him, he certainly saw the similarity between William and Thomas.
The two sisters reunion after all those months was a little disappointing because there weren't alone to talk freely (that Fanshawe is to blame). But still it was touching. And the second time there was that annoying girl with them( I don't like her at all). Fortunately the Tavington sisters did their best to distract Harmonia (the name doesn't suit her character!) The whole meet-the-queen thing was indeed dull. The ladies have my sympathy standing in those dresses etc. The ball was a great success and I am glad that Jane really enjoyed it. I am very happy that William didn't feel a thing for Kitty. ( he was surprised himself!) Although, the introduction with Mrs Robinson was very tempting. If Tarleton hadn't entered and the circumstances had been more favorable to a ... ravishment, I don't know how things would have ended. I am very curious about the box, which probably keeps a secret, that mamma is talking all the time. Too bad for the letters. It's like we lose all our photographs.
The chapter with Carver's attempt of murder on Jane showed very well first of all what a good mother Jane is, thinking she will never see her son again (quite the opposite of Selina's doing in Carolina). Secondly it showed that Tavington does love her ( very thrilled about that!). He arrived early because he missed her and the boys (in previous months he didn't care if she was in the same room). The fear of living without her and his whole behavior were so touching. It is so nice that Harriet and Jane matched together. The reaction of Jane and William over the news of Deborah was expected. It brought out the tin box and the lingering fear of abandonment. It also made a poing in the thick head of William that if she is forgiving on him, it would be on others or not at all on anyone. When he searched the attic for things to give to the girl and left them without a word was so sweet. Jane does him good in his character. I liked Bordon's decision to go and bring the girl and John's to start saving money for his daughter.
The pets of the Hall are quite valuable, besides their normal use at chasing mice and hunting. Their little episode during Anne's performance was glorious and hilarious. It was a nice surprise to see the Bordons and the Rutledge boys. The ending of the chapter with Jane breastfeeding Tom and later William on his knees were so touching and wonderful. And then the two different Christmases, Letty's and Jane's. I had hoped that Letty would be happy but she has started to feel tired of the superficialness of dresses and balls. Fanshawe is awful and I fear things may get worse as his true character is revealed. All those years living this kind of life, shouldn't he be dead?! The Christmas of Jane and everyone in Wargrave Hall was absolutely superb. I really loved the chapter and it was like, through your talented writing, I could feel their happiness and joy of being surrounded by loved ones. I would have surely supported your decision to write more chapters with the lives of your characters if my timing of reading had been the same with yours of writing. Thanks for that anyway.
[at the previous review some words got deleted. I was saying that John was so sweet when he was with his daughter. The highwaymen episode...] [correction later in lines: being threatened]
I am so so glad that Jane and William's marriage is in better terms and got through the crisis. he deserved every 'punishment' from Jane. It was good that John tried to talk to William about his behavior and was sensetive about these matters because of his own situation. I am glad that the obstacle in his happiness is no more. He was so sweet when he was with his highwaymen episode was awesome! Jane was amazing and I liked Tavington's reaction to the news and the pistol! Mamma did it again! Being in siege in your own house, poor girls! And the incident with Farshawe - of course she gave him the key. Although I agreed with Jane's point of view in this marriage (the shooting thing was also amazing and lord's reply about bring threatened by sister was so funny), since Letty is happy, I say nothing. Jane does miracles in Wargrave Hall and it is nice that the Tavingtons appreciate her efforts.
As always you have done wonderful work and I love the story.
I was afraid that England wouldn't be too good for their relationship. The Tavington sisters are very nice and even John in his own way. I love it when he tries to spite mamma, who is horrible! Letty is happy there ( I don't like this Lord Fanshawe around her) but I can't say the same for Jane. The behavior of mamma and some people towards her (because of the lack of beauty, and in opposite the admiration for Letty for that reason until they found out her lack of fortune) is awful and repulsive. yeah I know that's how things were back then but still... Tavington the more he became accustomed to his old life the more he neglected his wife and son. When Kitty was introduced I knew trouble was near. And now in this chapter, everything turned bad. I wish Moll could really punch him! I am so crestfallen about the whole situation and of course Jane's pain. I almost have tears.
I have started reading your story 2 days ago and each time I have to stop I am doing it with very difficulty. I love the story so much. I like very much Jane and Letty and Jane's character especially. this first part was wonderful; the plot, the events, Tavington's action's in and out of the battlefield, the description of Jane's life in her home with her unloving father and terrible stepmom. I was so surprised when Jane proposed to Tavington to the ball. The gradual improving of their marriage (eventhough the fear of left behind penniless was there) was presented amazingly through the letters. The trip to Camden and back had me on the edge of my seat and I was so sad for Biddy's death. By the way Moll is awesome! It was good that Letty was finally accepted as sister.
The Rose of Truro chapter 1 . 10/6/2014
So happy to have found this story. Read through four chapters so far. Have missed this fandom and have recently become reinterested in it. Enjoying this story. Selena is horrible. What a spoilt little cow. I want to smack her. Love Jane, she seems sensible, well-natured and intelligent.

You are an incredibly talented writer. The dialogue and descriptions pull one right into the world that is being created.
RubinChan chapter 2 . 9/30/2014