Reviews for Tavington's Heiress
Neko chapter 11 . 2/18/2013
Since I am re-reading, I know that Letty benefited greatly from Jane's marriage, and the poem by Gray that she mentions is very fitting to her situation.

"Perhaps in this neglected spot is laid
Some heart once pregnant with celestial fire;
Hands, that the rod of empire might have sway'd,
Or waked to ecstasy the living lyre:

But Knowledge to their eyes her ample page,
Rich with the spoils of time, did ne'er unroll;
Chill Penury repress'd their noble rage,
And froze the genial current of the soul."

Letty is lucky that she learned to read and that Jane is willing to amuse herself by teaching Letty to play the spinet. She's completely at the mercy of Jane's benevolence, even though they are sisters and should be equals. I'm not as familiar with the history of slavery as I should be, but I know it was not uncommon for slaves to be related to the people who owned them. It's sad to contemplate.

I bet this stanza from Gray's poem is also a comfort to Letty:

"The boast of heraldry, the pomp of power,
And all that beauty, all that wealth e'er gave,
Awaits alike th' inevitable hour:-
The paths of glory lead but to the grave."
Neko chapter 1 . 2/17/2013
Just dropping by to mention that after reading this wonderful story, you set me on a long search for similar historical romances. I found some lovely books, for which I thank you. The Patriot was on tonight and reminded me that I haven't re-read your story yet and that nothing else I read quite hit the spot like this did. So I'm off again!
Guest chapter 42 . 12/21/2012
Hi,
I've been really enjoying this story (but am trying to limit myself to one chapter a day to make it last!). Thank you :)
Deb.
Rosemary Tarleton chapter 62 . 11/25/2012
Lord Fanshawe was a bloody A-S-S in this chapter! I thought he liked Jane! What a surprise! Made my blood boil! :-)
Guest chapter 67 . 9/13/2012
I laughed out loud for real when Jane snatched the wig right off that awful woman's head!

i"I don't know," she answered. "Perhaps it will be all right. She needs more water, and strengthening food—"
There was a muffled grunt of protest from the corner. The Tavingtons turned to study Doctor Malahyde, who was shaking his head in dismayed denial./i

Yes, it was CLEARLY that bite of chicken sandwich that killed Lady Carteret. Why on earth can't anyone understand poor Dr. Malahyde's desire to starve and bleed women to death!?
Neko chapter 65 . 9/13/2012
dun dun DUN! It sure seemed like Fanshawe died naturally...that arm pain would be the lead up to a heart attack. But how could De Vere get away with hiring Malahyde after the man just caused a ladies' death? Surely he must be notorious?
Neko chapter 64 . 9/13/2012
Unfortunate that no one beat Carteret for being so stupid and spineless as to allow his pregnant wife to be starved to death. Naturally Fanshawe is sympathetic to another man's loss of valuable property in the form of a wife and heir, and too blind to see that he could learn a lesson from Lady Carteret's completely preventable death.
Neko chapter 62 . 9/13/2012
What a horrible man. Jane will probably have to dissuade Tavington from dueling him for the insult he gave his wife and sisters. It's too bad Tavington couldn't just shoot him and free Letty from being his plaything.
Neko chapter 61 . 9/13/2012
Rats! I was thinking that Deborah's box might have been what Lady Cecily was looking for as soon as it appeared!
Neko chapter 59 . 9/13/2012
I've never heard of mourning rings before. What an interesting custom. I'm a little sorry that they are no longer common.
Guest chapter 39 . 9/10/2012
"As the noise faded, leaving a dreadful lowering silence, Lord Fanshawe rubbed his ear ruefully. "My dear Madam," he observed to Jane, "I thank you for providing me with a novel experience—all too rare at my time of life. I have been threatened by fathers and brothers often enough, but never by a sister! Your affection does you credit. I salute you." He bowed again, to Jane's bewilderment."

That man is like ICE. Well played, sir. I hope Letty comes out of this well. And that Jane and Lord Fanshawe have some pointed conversation about how her sister is to be treated.
Neko chapter 38 . 9/10/2012
That was entertaining, but I still like Jane's moment of glory better. My opinion of John is much improved, though.
Neko chapter 37 . 9/10/2012
I'm unreasonably fond of Lord Colchester. He is very vivid in my mind for an original character.
Neko chapter 36 . 9/10/2012
This may be my favorite chapter yet! How wonderful that Jane got a chance to assert herself after that dispiriting realization about Tavington and her limited ability to change anything about her situation. I bet shooting that pistol was really cathartic. It always feels nice when you can pat yourself on the back for your foresight, too. I wonder if Tavington was aware Jane has a pistol...and the guts and presence of mind to fire it when required.
Guest chapter 75 . 7/16/2012
Quite a fascinating story! I couldn't stop reading, even though it is now almost 4 in the morning. Your story enthralled me from the moment I started reading (even though it's been 7 or so years since I saw the movie the Patriot.)

Thanks for writing and posting this wonderful story!