Reviews for Parallels
Hamilton chapter 1 . 12/10/2015
"Lux lucis meus pectus pectoris" for "Light of my heart", really?

Fanfic authors are allowed to use their own versions of Latin for spells just as much as JKR does of course, but at least try to let it make some sense... Lux/lucis and pectus/pectoris are two forms (nominative and genitive) of the same word, shown in dictionaries to let you know which declension a noun belongs to. Just like a German or French dictionary will mention the gender of a word, to show how to use it.

Other than that, great story as always :-)!
SFC CopperHead chapter 1 . 10/14/2015
Excellent! Probably the best one shot I've read.
Knitchick chapter 1 . 9/13/2015
Great story!
thepkrmgc chapter 1 . 8/12/2015
While harry is massively overpowered, you do a great job of using that to focus the story on its excellent character drama. this is one of the best "parallel universe" stories i've read:good work!
allenx14 chapter 1 . 8/9/2015
That was ADORABLE
BlindieMac chapter 1 . 7/19/2015
I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this fic! Idk how many times I've read it but I love it more every time I come back to it.
thebetawholived chapter 1 . 7/9/2015
I think this is the longest single chapter I've ever read. It's definitely a super-Harry story and talks about how he can find happiness after the devastation of the war against Voldemort. The story is imaginative and well-written, with a good mixture of description and conversation: what I've come to expect from Bobmin356. It's mostly a steady path (with a few minor detours) from despair to happiness and hope. If romance is your thing, it's a good read!
midnightscar17 chapter 1 . 5/27/2015
I still cant believe you used ginny as the gf before he jumped. I mean she never deserved him in the first place even in the movies. It should of always been hermione
SaintMichael95 chapter 1 . 5/17/2015
This was a really great story. One of the best Harry Potter stories I've read in fact.
Ariadne Venegas chapter 1 . 5/6/2015
I see a lot of love for this fic because is fantastic!

I loved your super powerful Harry and his Hermione.
Also Lily was very good to see, it is sad that this James never grow up really from bullyhood, but at least Harry find himself a really lovely sister (i like the OC)

I hope yourlife is in better shape soon or as normal as it could be and magic and love will be always there too.
InwoodHp chapter 1 . 4/7/2015
Thoroughly enjoyable tale.
andyjhorton chapter 1 . 3/13/2015
this was very enjoyable, way better than the time travel most write about when harrys in that situation
Blazeb79 chapter 1 . 3/11/2015
Great story! Absolutely brilliant!
RykOakwine chapter 1 . 2/16/2015
Review of "Parallels" by Bobmin356
Overall Rating: 79/100 (Generally Recommended)
-Details-
Technical: Very few misspellings or typos. I believe I saw two homophone errors in the entire 53,000 word story, and that's pretty danged good technical writing. The only points deducted are from some problematic sentences where structure was a bit tortured.
One 53,000 word chapter is a minus on the technical ledger. In addition to the obvious problems with readers keeping track of where they were if they have to leave the story then return later, there’s also the issue of each reader only being able to make one review on the story, total. And there’s more than one review’s worth of content in 53,000 words.
..oo00oo..
Premise Originality: Fairly original. Surprisingly there aren't all that many parallel universe stories, at least, not many compared to time travel or "Mysterious event ABC changed Canon¡Harry into NewImprovedAllButAnOC!Harry".
..oo00oo..
Originality of Plot: Harry from elsewhen/elsewhere tries to settle in and establish a new life in new time/place that's much like when/where he came from. Not very original though some bonus points for Lucius Malfoy and his demon staff subplot.
Rating: 50
..oo00oo..
Execution of Plot: The plot is thin, with most of the narrative impulse being provided by the characters and the premise. Too many important elements of the premise are never addressed in the plot, to the point where there is a giant elephant hanging around every conversation eventually, a giant elephant everyone pretends is invisible for the sake of plot convenience. Spending some time with Harry trying to figure out why Dumbledore, McGonagall, Lily Evans, and any other "good guy" character turns a blind eye to the blatant social bigotry in the school as well as the clearly-implied common rape of muggleborn and half-blood students would have helped this story a lot. As it is, the reader is expected to buy Dumbledore et al enthusiastically supporting Harry's arrival from another universe, inserting him as Head Boy, backing him up in his using his power to force dramatic social changes in the pecking order at the school. Without any explanation as to why these very same people were supporting the same institutional bigotry and nightmarish school experience all of the half bloods and muggleborn are portrayed as having.
If half-bloods and muggleborn combined are only 1/3rd of the student body and pure bloods are 2/3rds then it makes sense the pure bloods would be more clearly at the top of the social pecking order. But for the pureblood *students* to be allowed to divide the Great Hall by blood status instead of Houses? To have those pureblood students make the Hogwarts elves serve noticeably inferior food to the 1/3rd table of half-blood and muggleborn students? It stretches credulity almost to the break get point. If it wasn’t the students ordering the elves to serve the pariahs lesser food at the Feasts, then… who was it?
The actual in school institutional bigotry inflicted on the students *by the school* (what food they get served, forced to sit with other pariahs instead of by House, etc) is very sadly entirely handwaved, with only a very small objection by Hermoine (not Lily or any other adult, they all pretend the elephant isn't there) that "it's always been this way".
And rapes and sexual assault on the train as a common occurrence, god only knows how common at the school itself. The strange inclusion of Imperio and a super-lust potion in the failed attempt at raping Hermoine by by the antagonist was mystifying, as none of that is needed to pull off a successful gang rape.
The weakest parts of the story are in this category sadly.
Rating: 20
..oo00oo..
Character Authenticity (IC? OOC?): Most characters seem true to their canon selves with reasonable projection for differences caused by the premise of the story: No Harry in this world.
..oo00oo..
Quality of character portrayal: Mostly very good, everyone from Harry to Dumbledore is well drawn. The only characters who are lacking are the antagonists, sadly.
Rating: 75
..oo00oo..
Addressing Canon Stupidities: The parallel dimension premise nullifies many of the canon stupidities by making them irrelevant to the new setting.
Rating: n/a
..oo00oo..
Justice to Antagonists: Unlike canon, the reader is given reasonable closure with the antagonists in this tale.
Rating: 100
..oo00oo..
Color, dialogue, feeling: Bobmin356 and his co-author Alyx do great work in this category and this story is no exception. I would have enjoyed a bit more descriptive prose.
..oo00oo..
Correctly Rated: Rated M (equivalent to an American movie rating of R, no one under 17 admitted without parent) and correctly rated so.
Rating: 100
..oo00oo..
Comments: None
Purple Fire Dragon chapter 1 . 2/8/2015
I so love a happy ending. :-)
543 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »