Reviews for Rules of the Game
darkpheonix31 chapter 7 . 9/16
while i can certainly see Snape acting so inappropriately towards Harry, I don't like that it seems to be rewarded with Harry's truat. i don't like the common trope of Harry liking Snape for the simple reason that he is a complete bastard. canon Harry was right to hate Snape, the man is cruel and unfeeling. Excusing that behavior under the guise of forcing Harrey to 'open up' normalizes poor behavior.
LtsHrIt4ThBoyz chapter 3 . 9/7
Screw it!
M.
LtsHrIt4ThBoyz chapter 2 . 9/7
This 'misunderstanding' better NOT stand for long, because it's about as stupid as Rowling's ideas about an abused and neglected child, who's *rescued* by 'miraculous' circumstances (as Harry was when his letter came) and is removed from the place of his degradation and mistreatment; keeping the conditions of his home life SECRET! It doesn't happen! The relief alone causes the child to begin sharing almost immediately; in the hope that, by relating the details, he'll not be returned to that environment! Only adults, who've grown up and removed themselves from the abuse, are reticent to voice the truth of their 'family' life! *I* KNOW!
It took me years and "Adult Children of Alcoholics" meetings to finally release just some of my pain-filled child and teenhood!
Harry's acquiescence and refusal to tell everyone about what his home life was really like, was just one of the things I despised about the series! Severus' willful blindness was another and that the MOB, Headbasturd was highest on the list! That old SOB KNEW! He said, "I knew I was condemning you to ten long and miserable years...!" So don't attempt to play that Machiavellian, Gandalf wannabe off as if he thought Harry 'ran away'!
I have no desire to read a re-telling of Rowling's trash! I read HPff for the way the series SHOULD have been written! So, I hope this gets better!
Your opening was well written and the premise well plotted...Until you got here.
I'm going to read a little further and hope for the best...Of course I did the same with HP and kept hoping that *this* book is where the good stuff starts to happen, but it NEVER DID! Thank goodness I never paid for the garbage or I'd have burned them!
Thanks!
MelJ :D
troubleinanutshell chapter 1 . 8/18
I’ve finished reading this at 2am this morning, and it was amazing. Honestly one of my favourite fanfictions of all time! I laughed, cried, and just overall enjoyed and loved this fic. Please, please either update or say who’s continuing it! It’s amazing. So sad it was a cliffie at the end though.
halleberry1995 chapter 38 . 8/13
Brilliant! I wonder if itl continue?
Jensindenial3516 chapter 38 . 7/31
Thanks!
trace chapter 38 . 6/29
I'm kinda glad Sirius is gonna do the decent thing here for Harry's sake. I wasn't sure he'd be capable of it, after Azkaban and all.
Severus is such an awkward turtle. Harry is all sorts of adorable. Remus' passive aggressive one upmanship was kinda funny.

You did a really good job of portraying the destructive and illogical thought patterns of an abused child. Protecting his abusers because he thinks the fault is his. Severus being such an awkward turtle in his attempts to get the truth from Harry to the point of verbal abuse, telling a kid his relatives want him dead. All in his weird socially and emotionally constipated way of sharing. And Harry is used to being mistreated so he prefers Snape's way of caring as brusque and awkward as it is. It feels more real than McGonnagal's way of caring to him. And fair enough too. One instance of a hug and sharing what she remembers about his parents does not make a decent relationship. That, and he would always be waiting for the mask to fall and the other shoe to drop.

The fact that when the trio went to her with pertinent information she dismissed them telling them it was not their concern; whereas Severus heard them and told them he was taking action. Its probably why they don't really bother telling McGonnagal anything anymore. Going straight to Severus when they find out things.

Poor Severus, he's going to have a heart attack when Harry's name comes out of that goblet.

I enjoyed reading the interactions between Harry and Severus. Warm-fuzzies for the win!

I would like to see the DMLE and the Daily Prophet's reaction to Peter being found with Voldie's wand. I think it would be fun thinking up sensationalist Rita Skeeter-esqe headlines. "You-Know-Who's Wand Found! Was Pettigrew There?!" Yeah it'd be fun.

It makes logical sense. Your story, I mean. It has been an interesting roller coaster ride. Thanks for sharing.
NOOOOO! You can't leave it there!? Come on! I NEED SEVERITUS CUDDLES AND FAMILY FLUFF! ;;;_;;; I just love this so much! Pleeeeeease continue this! Please! Pretty please!
Kitty chapter 38 . 6/1
8 years since you updated. Sorry its been abandoned. Good so far.
I know this is fiction but come on! We are not living in Victorian England anymore. Eleven year old children do not live rough on the streets of london without the authorities swiftly stepping in. I can't read this.
kaira-hime chapter 38 . 5/11
wait... that's it?! I need more updates! please I'm loving this story! I want to see Harry grow up!
SnapesPainfulMemories chapter 38 . 2/27
so.. that update sounds so good about now.
Draeconin chapter 21 . 2/3
I'm still waiting for the humor that you labeled this fic with. So far it's been unrelenting angst.
JM0RIARTY chapter 36 . 1/24
I think I stumpled over this fanfiction some time ago... Don't remember if I left a comment then... but I really really like this fanfiction... Severus is such a complicated and somewhat insecure character, it's quite hard to write him... I'd like to know what is going to happen now that Sirius is entering the picture but it seems that this is abandonned (like Harry was) which is a shame because it's a good one

JM
Larenars chapter 38 . 1/8
This is a really awesome story. I can't help wanting more but I know how life gets so I'll just say thanks for sharing.
2,391 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »