Reviews for Trial by Fire
Mariejol chapter 1 . 6/19/2010
It's really beautiful!
A Matter of Unimportance chapter 1 . 3/9/2009
I cannot tell you how many times I have read and reread this story, and it gets better every time. There's a certain fluidity to your style that's just amazing, soft yet powerful. I love your characterization, too. You got Rufus perfectly. Simply amazing, brilliant in every way.
Miss Riku chapter 1 . 12/22/2008
All I can say was that it was and Amazing fan fiction-can't get much better then that! I give you * ect.
NRGburst chapter 1 . 6/9/2008
Just...wow. What incredible writing. I'll be checking out your other work for sure.
meroe chapter 1 . 11/9/2007
Crap, wow. This is good. Your writing is almost lyrical, sans the irony that seems in others too forced.
Neophyte Ronin chapter 1 . 9/18/2007
Well, let's be frank: I don't like present tense all too much but here it's forgivable considering the introspective context. No major technical flaws and you captured Rufus exceptionally well, from his calculating demeanor to how the illness affected his outlook and attitude. This is in the running for an award for good reason: it's a solid effort from a solid writer. Keep up the good work.
Rosalyn Angel chapter 1 . 6/25/2007
The style this is written in is so gorgeous and easy to read-definitely a pleasure. Everything flowed so wonderfully-my eyes didn't catch once (except to read certain parts over that I particularly liked; they deserved to be read twice). Favorite segment:

"Let him then be the spear; let him pierce to the heart. Let him bury himself in warmth, in heat, even as the pain consumes him. Let him live to die.

"But give him once the phoenix's flight."

! That and the ending-so beautiful.

Also, Elena mothering him, and his hair growing back less red, and this line: "Rufus tried the name on like a coat, decided it fit him well" with this line: "He tried on this new power, too, liked it less (but liked it still)." yeah. love. :D

thank you much for sharing this.
HeyModsDeleteMe chapter 1 . 5/27/2007
Beautiful. There's not a better word for this.
Mariagoner chapter 1 . 12/4/2006
One of the loveliest, most poignant relfections on Rufus I've read. Beautiful work!
Wergild chapter 1 . 10/22/2006
Nice characterization. Waste Land much?
Pied Flycatcher chapter 1 . 9/25/2006
Really good, you fill in the blanks beautifully. I love the style, it's very fitting. A real insight into Rufus' character, believable and poignant. Loved it. :)
Rabid Badger chapter 1 . 9/24/2006
Just wanted to let you know how much I liked this. I think this is the first AC story I've seen that really reflects how Rufus felt and what he thought. To have survived what he did, only to be stricken with the geostigma, to think he'd lost Tseng again, and also Elena, and yet he never stops planning, scheming, manipulating and figuring out how to best turn the situation to his advantage. He survived Meteor (no small feat, considering the number who died). He survived the geostigma. He lost Tseng twice, only to get him back again. And I really liked the ending of the movie, with him sitting inthe rain inthe wheelchair, his four Turks gathered around him. Because you know that what he's gone through has only made him stronger and more determined.
Borgias chapter 1 . 9/19/2006
Wow. Just . . . WOW! I loved the characterization you used, for Rufus as well as the Turks. How diseased Rufus was, the Turks' interactions with him during his long convalescence, everything was spot on. Rufus really doesn't get enough attention in the gamees, he's always very distant. Still, you write very beautifully, the whole "divide the fic in several little segments" scheme very nicely done. I think my favorite segment was the one ending with "Not much of a player. Still a player, though."
Katherine4 chapter 1 . 9/17/2006
GORGEOUS.

Your style is beautiful, and your Rufus touches my heart. *adores madly*
chaosbfly chapter 1 . 9/14/2006
I enjoyed this. Stream of thought is often rather visceral, and you've got plenty of viscera...:)

Anyway, well done. An interesting way to fill in some carefully left blanks.