Reviews for Off Balance
CornishGirl chapter 1 . 1/7
So angsty and sad and bittersweet.
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 10/11/2014
Great fic, you got exactly how Dean felt after Sam left for Stanford and yes, Sam wouldn't be mentioned by John at all so Dean could not even mention him. Great hunt and loved that while injured and out of it, Dean would have been concerned that the creature had got Sam, and perfect that John told him he was alright and wasn't there.
Great ending with jumping forward three years to the Pilot.
Marsha Mallo chapter 1 . 10/9/2014
I liked this very, very much. To me the portrayal of John was very much in keeping with the show...I am aware a lot of fan fiction portrays Dad Winchester as either an intentionally or at least drunkenly abusive father, but you've taken what I believe is a more accurate approach...the man's man approach. Two things that I believe support your approach? My father and my brothers - my father was born just before the turn of the last century (I.e. 1899 to 1900)...so he was raised in a very different world than ours today. No man back then would ever have stayed home while his wife earned the daily bread. Attitudes towards discipline were totally different - spanking with a switch that might leave marks would never have led to headlines and criminal charges as is the big ongoing controversy right now. Also, military service was not exceptional...and all of my older brothers? Served in the military...two of them thru multiple re-ups (reenlistments) - 1 served 13 years and one just a few months shy of 20 years. One of the three served in Viet Nam...so I feel I understand John. I KNOW and indeed was raised by a man more like him than not. And the way you've written him here really fits and feels true. Thanks for that.
Marlowe97 chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
This on?

This gives me another sharp reminder as of why I put you on my favorite-list. I've read soo many "Dean-after-the-Stanford-desaster"-ff, and a lot of them were pretty good. But this one, it picks me up and slams me at the wall. Really!

Because I can get the feeling of being out of control, spinning in a world where one thing that has always been there is suddenly gone - and you cannot reason with this feeling. And I even like John in this one - hurting so much himself and not knowing how to handle it... ok, punching Dean is not helpful, but lashing out is just what I expect of him. And the way he touches his son, carrys him out of the forest... *sniff* "Never too big, kiddo" oww, just so sweet. (he is still an ass, but...)

So, thanks you for sharing this little piece of information, 'cause that is the way I will imagine the first days without Sam from now on - until Kripke messes it up, that is ;-)
bhoney chapter 1 . 5/10/2009
"Dean had tried – tried to do what he always did. But Sam and Dad didn’t listen to him; they didn’t even see him. All they could see was the anger in each other and not the hurt...Dean had felt something break. He thought maybe it was his heart." Ah, it breaks my heart that Sam and John (however well-intentioned they may be) always end up hurting Dean, especially when they put him between the two of them.

Loved this glimpse into the silent communication the boys have: "He missed having entire conversations that depended on little more than a few shorthand words and a roll of the eyes."

This was an absolutely incredible line: "Sam was his missing limb. Or maybe his heart."

Dean was just breaking my heart in here, especially when he was hurt and so worried about Sam, and finally admitted to John that he missed him. LOVED how you had John carry him and this: “Never too big, kiddo. Trust me on that.”

Really heartbreaking, emotionally impactful fic.
RubyVega chapter 1 . 9/29/2008
Thank you for this one. Really good writing skill.

Loved Dean D
November'sGuest chapter 1 . 4/30/2007
O, yeah...liked this one. Very nice look of how things might have been after Sam left. As usual, enjoyed your description and insights on the Winchester family.

Good job!

Nicole
QueenOfHearts3 chapter 1 . 11/15/2006
dude, that just WORKS O_O so right for him. you arent, by any chance, involved in writing this series are you? if not, you should be! its friggin perfect "Dean-vision," right down to the tone of voice and word usage. im thoroughly impressed *shakes her head* heck... im in awe, straight up. im actually glad this isnt beta'd lol seems more natural for him. hes never been one to think in "proper terms," so this is cool just as it is. please dont edit it! i absolutely adore how you describe his thoughts on both Sam and John, and how he just wants his family together and him knowing that those two are too stubborn to see it *sniff* it truly sux bein the middle-man XD i know. ive gone through a lifetime of it with my mom and lil sis (Sam reminds me so much of her that its kinda freaky lol). just really hits home, the whole lot of it. such a gorgeous lil one-shot, i swear... *hugs ficlet* clicked all the lil check boxes, FYI ;D im serious, you took me through the full gauntlet of emotions here. i laughed, cried, and wanted to castrate certain individuals (like that creature, whatever it was *twitch* and hes lucky. the torture ideas i have for the Demon frighten even me), just as i do with the actual show. honestly, you rule! hehe ill shut my cakehole now :P good luck and happy writing!
stjra chapter 1 . 10/15/2006
Just found this one and I had to let you know just how much I loved it! You really know how to get into Dean's head and beat the poor guy up so well (but I love that too! I must be such an evil person!). Keep it up, otherwise I'll go into Dean withdrawals!
JessicaRae24 chapter 1 . 9/26/2006
Great, great story. I like where you took this and I really liked how you ended it. For me, that line of Dean's, "Yeah. Well, I don't want to." from the pilot has always struck me a bit. Even though we are meeting Dean for the first time, you could tell that was something he wouldn't usually admit. This is a great pre-curser(sp?) to the series. Good job! Oh, and I'm glad you're back to writing!
MistyEyes chapter 1 . 9/23/2006
Loved it. This was absolutely fantastic, a great read. You stayed true to the characters and your writing is excellent. Thanks!
mtee1958 chapter 1 . 9/18/2006
I liked this story. Thanks
Ginger Ninja chapter 1 . 9/15/2006
Superb writing. The sense of loss really got me.

Keep it up :D

GN
Rinne chapter 1 . 9/15/2006
Very nicely done. Poor Dean.
Kira chapter 1 . 9/15/2006
God, you have no idea how excited I was to see you'd posted another story - a one-shot, but DAYUM, girl, you're one of my favorite authors, and I'll be here reading anything you write. How great; backstory and whumpage. M.