Reviews for Blood in the Sand
Xtin2000 chapter 1 . 10/28/2010
this is the best tag to Atlantis' Phantoms out there! nice job!
Whirlwind421 chapter 1 . 5/31/2009
Great story! I think I should have been more panicked when he found Beckett. It's like he was only looking for Beckett and Rodney's wound wasn't a problem!
x Varda x chapter 1 . 10/25/2008
That was totally cool.

Being a shameless Rodney whumper myself I can't really express the disappointment I felt at the end of Phantoms...

This Fic makes up for it though :)
ferryboat George chapter 1 . 7/17/2008
Yeah, they gypped us out of a great scene (but don't they always). Who've done a nice job of filling it in.
krysalys chapter 1 . 9/17/2006
Yeah, damn it all. I was pretty POed seeing that last scene in the episode, as if the writers weren't all that sure how to end it with all thewhumpage they'd doled out so prodigiously.

As for Rodney's wound and it's location... Yeah, working from my knowledge as a former EMT, where Rodney'd gotten shot could've been fatal, but more than likely the bullet had ricocheted off of a rib, cracking or breaking it (the latter much more likely considering John's proximity when he fired) before skimming along Rodney's ribcage and exiting his body. He's really extraordinarily lucky, considering he wasn't wearing his tac vest, either. Otherwise, if the bullet'd gone between Rodney's ribs, it'd've punctured a lung or Rodney's stomach, and quite possibly the bullet would've ricocheted around in Rodney's chest cavity until its momentum had worn off.

Had a high school classmate acidentally shoot his brother at close range with his hunting rifle, and the brother's innards were pretty much pulped from the bullet ricocheting around his chest cavity. (Yes, the brother died) That's one of the reasons why some GSW's to the chest are far worse than you'd think - the presence of the ribs is there to protect the vital organs, but when there's a high velocity projectile moving around in there, it can just keep bouncing off the inside of the ribs until it's either slowed down from the gooified organs, or it finds an escape path between the ribs.

Erk, sorry for the extensive blathering there. *facepalm* I know way more than I should about GSW's and other wounds in general.

So, review for your missing scene? Excellent job. Yah, I was chuffed at how well Rodney reacted to being shot, but then again... he always had a pretty healthy self-preservation instinct, and I'm sure he'd figured out PDQ that Sheppard'd been hallucinating like everyone else, and Rodney really REALLY hadn't wanted to get shot again. "You get shot, McKay, you stay the fuck DOWN, you hear me?" I can so hear John drilling that into Rodney's head after a mission-gone-bad. ;)

Well done, m'dear. And yeah, I think that by the time John had found Carson, he'd been able to push his feelings under that "I'm cool and collected" mask he's perfected. Not necessarily that Teyla had radioed him... He'd gotten bck down to business, and knew there was nothing more he could do for Rodney except get Carson in there.

-}-
flah7 chapter 1 . 9/16/2006
that was fantastic.

Great tag.
Melissa Shelton chapter 1 . 9/16/2006
I can so see John responding to shooting Rodney this way. John and Rodney's feelings for each other are becoming more and more obvious with each ep. Very nice. I really enjoyed.
AzureOcelot chapter 1 . 9/16/2006
Oh, come on, it wasn't bad at all. Seriously, I had my disappointments about the episode too- it was great for the most part, and great to see Rodney so cool under pressure for once; he's really maturing to this stuff. But I was seriously irked that they didn't even show Sheppard's reaction to nearly killing his friend. I mean, that look on Rodney's face in the split-second the bullet hit was just heartwrenching, you know? So I think this scene needed to be written. Okay, yeah, it was a little heavy on the angst, but you weren't really out of character and on the whole this was really quite good. Relax.

*to Rodney* I know, the writers never take you seriously. You got cheated out of well-deserved angstiness in this episode, and I'm sorry. But the fanfic writers will make up for it, I promise!
Greywolf Lupous chapter 1 . 9/16/2006
Yay! Phantom tag! And no, not too rushed or anything ;) When Shep shot Rodney last night my jaw literally dropped (while my inner whumper squee'd in happiness), and after he shut off the machine I was all, "Um, hey, remember that guy you SHOT?" Definitely needed this tag. Be proud of it Shakia, hold it up to the sky, and shout "I am writer! Hear me roar!" ...or you know, something similarly uplifting ;)
Mercurys Winter chapter 1 . 9/16/2006
This is almost exactly how I imagined this missing scene, bravo :)
Dude-It's-Sam-Not-Sammy chapter 1 . 9/16/2006
Write MORE! It's great, really! You should continue on after the credits rolled to what may happen when they get back to Atlantis!
The Watch Stander chapter 1 . 9/16/2006
This was great! Rodney was very stoic and John was shell shocked.

I was waiting for the scene where John realized he'd shot Rodney. However, Sheppard only remembers seeing an enemy with a turban, not Rodney. He probably still doesn't think he was the one to do it.

Does anyone know what that guy with the turban said?

I have a story half written about this episode and I'm happy to say it's not like yours. Phew! I hate throwing away all that work.

So, Thanks for a great story and hope to see more of your work.
NotTasha chapter 1 . 9/16/2006
How much do I love that you had McKay say, “B-bastard…you shot me.” LOL. That just goes to show that he's going to be okay. The snark shows that he doesn't hold it against Sheppard. I loved how he kept repeating it at the end of the show, obviously needling Sheppard just a bit, driving him out of any guilt he should have felt.

Very nicely written. This was dearly needed. Oh, how I missed seeing Sheppard's reaction when he realized what he had done.
NoLongerActiveUser chapter 1 . 9/16/2006
I don't know what you're talking about, Shakia...I loved it! I was a bit (OK, a lot) disappointed in there not being a reaction scene in the ep and you eased that a bit. I also think this tag's pretty expandable (hint-hint) so if you write it, I'll read it ;). Great work!