Reviews for MightHaveBeen
Eh ..?

-chronodekar
MorningBlack chapter 1 . 9/3/2009
Oh my.

I've gone into the FF1-6 section a few times over the years. I can't believe this is the first time I've read this one.

The writing really tickled my fancy, both because of how well it flowed and because of the vocabulary used. It all blended well. Really quite seamless between paragraphs.

The characterization and internal thoughts of Celes added a nice amount of depth to the story too, and that twist at the end really yanked at my heart strings.

My hat is off to you, sir.
Margaret Rennie chapter 1 . 8/19/2008
I stumbled across this on someone else's favorites list and thought I'd just give it a cursory scan for old times sake, because as you know, this wouldn't be my first read-through. Just like the first time though, I got lost in it almost immediately, and the story had all the impact that it did upon my first reading.

I think what gets me most about this piece is that it's the best-written post-game happily-ever-after I've ever read anywhere - it manages sweetness without devolving into sap - and then it turns out to be just a frame for an entirely other kind of picture.

Anyway, I thought I'd express my appreciation for the story here since, under the circumstances, I couldn't really gush in any detail the first time I saw it. But I'll tell you the truth: this piece made Judge # 6 cry, and I've never forgotten it.
Meeerf chapter 1 . 2/7/2008
Incredibly depressing and disturbing. I mean that in a good way, because obviously that was the intention. I can't get it off my mind.
Marching Madly Onward chapter 1 . 6/19/2007
I don't want to spoil it...but that was a brutal bait and switch.

I should have known going in that it wasn't going to be quite as good as it seemed. You specialize in a certain sort of story, as bleak as they are. But, as with everything else you've written, this story is superb on every level. I could go into it, but I don't think I could do it justice.
Valkyrie Celes chapter 1 . 11/9/2006
This was excellent! I thought it was about the end of the game, but it was if Celes died on the island right? The end confused me a bit, but very good job! I love literature that makes you think.
Myshu chapter 1 . 9/23/2006
Even though I was spoiled beforehand, this was still BLOODY PAINFUL. It's as if you have this disease that won't let you write a happy ending even when you TRY-I'm positive you had no such intention, but the effect is there.

On a techincal note, the headache was a very subtle, well-used device, made perfectly gruesome on that final punch-and it sure as hell feels like a punch, right in the heart of FF6.

Best heartache I've read in ages.
Plug chapter 1 . 9/22/2006
Very nihilistic and bleak. It ruins and contorts any folds of hope created by the second half of the game, and does so very thoughtfully. Not a particularly pleasant fic, but then, that's your style. I liked this a lot. What really stood out about this piece was that, in spite of the dreamy and imaginative nature of the story, there wasn't really a feeling of disconnection. The atmosphere had a certain emotional immediacy that was actually pretty sad. Oftentimes I'll look over your writing and marvel at its complexity and insight, but there's always a kind of visceral distance to your characters that prevents me from being able to actually feel anything for them. Sometimes that helps, sometimes not.

Here, however, that's not even an issue. There was something really pathetic-yet-human about Celes in this story that was very powerful. She wasn't messed up or twisted or sociopathic. It was tragic because her reaction was so normal and humane. Anyways, a very poignant story. Great job, and as always, thanks for writing it. :)
NeoKefka chapter 1 . 9/21/2006
Wow. I'm trying to think of ways I can discuss this story without spoiling and I discover that I can't at the moment. So, I'll just say that it was a good read, well written and with a solid emotional punch. Yep.
Riana1 chapter 1 . 9/17/2006
/The last woman in the world lies in the sick, feverish heat of the boiling sun, dying, and dreams about what might have been./

Brillant, beautiful, perfect. Classic ending line.
vivisect chapter 1 . 9/17/2006
Am I to believe that everything turning out fine is all a dream? Plot twists are fun. More so when you write them :D