Reviews for Walkabout
Margaret Rennie chapter 18 . 1/10/2013
Hey you! Judge #6 here. I happened to see this fic on someone else's favorites list and thought I'd give it another read, years later. God, it's as wonderful as I remember, maybe more so as I wasn't reading it on a clock and could take my time. I don't know if you're still as maddeningly humble as you used to be or if you've learned to appreciate your gifts as much as your readers do. But this jewel deserved its win in the most competitive of all the All That Glitters contests, and deserved its 100% sweep of all the judges' number one picks. I don't think I ever shared that last bit with you but it's true. Even years after the fact it's nice to know I'm sure. Anyway, thanks for this wonderful tale that doesn't age. I loved it all over again.
Zaz9-zaa0 chapter 18 . 1/29/2012
It's an interesting thing, to feel miserable and happy all at once. This... That's our girl. That creative, foul-mouthed genius who experiences the world and goes on to live so brilliantly. From her interactions with Gau and Sally, to every single thing about her and Interceptor... This story is a painting woven into words. So beautiful.
Valiance chapter 18 . 8/2/2011
Beautiful and heartbreaking and so very real, even for a fic based on a fantasy game. That's all I can say. Just... wow.

Thank you so much for writing this; it was amazing.
Setebos chapter 18 . 7/3/2009
It's rare to read a story that captures a character's possible development so stunningly, this isn't relm from FFVI, this is a possible relm from a world without magic, a well written one at that.

A wonderful tale, great pacing and an old-new plot great job.
Love in a Mist chapter 18 . 6/4/2009
I know you wrote this quite a while ago, and I know you don't exactly frequent this site, anymore, but... I thought I'd review anyhow, just in case.

I don't know anything about FFVI. I've never played it, I've never read about it, I don't know the characters, etc. etc. So I'm not sure what prompted me to read Walkabout.

But I'm so glad that I did. This is one of the most heart-wrenching, beautifully written fanfics that I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I finished reading and just sat there (in the middle of Journalism class, mind you) with tears in my eyes. It was just that sad and lovely. Your writing style is wonderful and unique, your descriptions were vivid, and the emotions you portrayed through this story really touched my heart.

Thank you very much for this fanfiction masterpiece. (:
Henry Klickertack chapter 18 . 6/18/2008
Well written and emotionally engaging. One of the best I've read in a while. Good work!
Meeerf chapter 18 . 12/22/2007
Wow. That's all I have to say. WOW.

OK, I'll try to be more specific.

The thing is, the story is mixing something painfully real-world with the fantasy universe, especially the characters. The message is universal; the avenue is unique to each writer tackling the theme. It could potentially done with any of the FF6 characters, but the use of Relm is a neat twist, and fills in a highly empty plot hole.

The narrative is lush enough that I really had to slow down to read it properly. And the depiction of the world post-Kefka is depressingly accurate. No matter what happens, ennui sets in soon enough.

I like how you throw in things from the game to fit into a completely different plotline, keeping the characters true and convincing, and giving their bits to the story. Who writes fanfic, if not for love of the characters?

Ha ha, frantically refreshing the Stats section. So have been there.
Meeerf chapter 4 . 12/20/2007
Hey, you're right. People DON'T review extremely well-written things.

I found your story on the favorites list of one of my fans, and so far I am very impressed simply with the level of writing. I also happen to love dark takes on characters; once you try to write a full story on them they really have to become darker, to become fully fleshed. I found Relm fairly annoying in the game but this perspective is something different altogether.

I would humbly suggest that you judge by the hits on the story, not the number of reviews, and derive satisfaction from knowing you've written something worthwhile.
ee970 chapter 18 . 7/1/2007
Oh, just stunning. The lush narrative and spot-on characterization completely sucked me into the story-I couldn't put it down. Sally was an awesome and enjoyable character, and the scene at Doma Castle was truly haunting-pardon the pun. The ending really is the only way things could turn out, at once sad, hopeful, and perfectly imperfect. Completely deserving of the award, and a wonderful read!
LissaCubed chapter 18 . 1/4/2007
Final Fantasy 6 is my favourite video game, so I'm very picky about FF6 fics. This one really grabbed me from the beginning - I liked the descriptiveness, I liked how you began by giving Interceptor a voice (how often is a fic told from a dog's point of view), and I loved how you fleshed out a character that I dislike (I named Relm "Nit" when playing the game because I thought she was irritating). I was so glad that you decided to continue the fic.

I was quite angry at first that you killed Interceptor (poor puppy!). However, I loved the bittersweet ending. It was totally unexpected for me (I expected an ending where Shadow and Relm would be happily reunited), but I realized that this was much truer to life. A man who left his daughter and did not have any contact with her for ten years (although he knew where she was)would not make a good father. And the Painting Ninja end just made me smile.

What I liked best about your story was your characterization of Relm. As I said before, I don't like Relm, but you made her sympathetic. She's much angrier than she is in the game, but you explained her feelings well. I could empathize with her passion and anger at the state of the world - I was the same at that age -. You also discussed how the world and its culture has changed since the defeat of Kefka (and Relm's disgust at urbanization and modernization), which is something I have rarely seen other writers explore.

This definitely deserved the IcyBrian win, even against all the worthy contenders. This fic is a keeper for my favourites list. :)
Whistle chapter 19 . 10/16/2006
Wow. Just... wow.

This has to be the best fic I've read in a long, long while. I love the description, the road trip feel, the feel you give to the FF6 world. It seemed real, a world you could live in, with people, towns, seasons... Every detail, every casual mention of an obscure monster shaped the world and made it real. My only gripe is that after finishing this I was longing for more, to see Narshe, Kohlingen, and all the other places on the world map, to meet Locke, Celes, Sabin and all the other characters...

It was also adorable how you gave everyone a voice, from Relm and Interceptor to Sally to a golden bear and and a ferryman and a street urchin. The Doma dream sequence was particularly impressive. I started reading it and I immediately went: "Wow, this sounds just like Neil Gaiman!"

The bittersweet ending was perfect, too. The disillusionment, the tragic loss seemed somehow inevitable as they approached, and the final epiphany, the Painting Ninja was so cute, so original and so completely appropriate.

It did brighten my day, so writing it was indeed worthwhile. Thank you for sharing this!

(One thing though. It's not allowed to have afterwords in single chapter. You'd probably better leave it at the end of the last chapter.)
seventhe chapter 19 . 10/14/2006
I STILL HATE YOU FOR WHAT YOU DID TO THE DOG.

...kidding. This was my first chance to re-read the entire story - in order and in all its glory - and it's still a masterpiece. Laughed out loud. Relm is brill. Edward is brill. I still want to pick Interceptor up and squash him like a stuffed animal. It's an excellent piece of work and, although the FFVI fandom is small, I've been reccing it to everyone I know. :P

P.S. THE DOG! WHY?
trimurti chapter 9 . 9/30/2006
This is beautiful.

I've never cared about Relm, but I can't help but like her and her foul-mouthed ways here. I love Interceptor, who is just the cutest, most deadly dog ever, and how you've portrayed him, especially his italicized parts. I love everything about their journey so far, where this girl and dog have a purpose and occasionally they get lost and make other mistakes. Gau showing up every so often is fun, too, and it makes me wonder if he'll keep popping up when Relm least expects it even after she reaches South Figaro.

What I especially enjoyed the most was your writing style, which is detailed, emotive, and lets the characters live without stifling them in narration. Even with the high quality of the stories in the IcyBrian contests, I'm not surprised this won in the least.

Every so often, I see two words stuck together. Yeah, that's my only complaint.

I'll be looking forward to more of this story; it's a masterpiece.
Nguyen Tran Loc chapter 8 . 9/29/2006
Great story! I read the whole thing at Icy's.

I always liked Relm and I think you fleshed her out brilliantly in every way possible: how she regards the other characters from the game (love how she had Edgar wrapped around her finger), her teenage anger at the world (I find her cursing is kind of cute), her fears and insecurities with everything changing around her. The thing with Gau was a bit unresolved at the end, but since this ship doesn't anything for me, I don't mind

The episodes of her journey gave me a little road movie feeling, just with out the car... or a road ;P

Sally was I nice OC, liked her. I also liked the shallow, evasive Clyde/Shadow. I think this portrayal comes much closer to his real self then most people would like to hear.

Good job with the very loyal Interceptor, too. He died doing, what he did best: protecting Relm. That's the way heros leave the world (though he must have been a really old dog by now...)

The ending was nice, too. Relm didn't get the happily ever after she wanted, but still found her way to deal with the world and do what she loves.

Don't know what else to say...

Oh, yeah: Congrats for winning "All That Glitters Is Cold 3", you really deserved it for this story!

bye

NTL
Rhys Talison chapter 7 . 9/26/2006
Congratulations on your award! Your story is very well-written and consistent throughout its length, I can see why you won. To be honest I mainly remember Relm as the 'glitch' character from FFVI but you have done a good job of bringing substance to what is an underused party member. Your story also manages to keep an edge without becoming morose, and though Relm is a bit darker than one might think here, you allow the character to retain her charm. Good character interaction as well. I'll look forward to the next chapter.