Reviews for Unmasking the Chains
Guest chapter 5 . 8/14/2014
Prima! I love this one so much and I think I'm going to read your other works :)
paisleygirl chapter 24 . 9/5/2012
This was without a doubt one of the best POTO fan fic's I've ever read. At first I was put off by the character death warning...but was sucked in from the first paragraph. Then I started to believe it would be Phillippe or Christine, maybe hoped more than believed. As I read on, I realized you wouldn't be that trite, and I started to really dread what was coming, now thankful for the warning in the summary. And though the ending wasn't as happy as I usually like, this story took my breath away...I read it in a day!
Nabila Nadia chapter 13 . 4/3/2012
D: OH MY WORD. OH. OH! My poor heart just died a little at the end of this chapter and it is now literally racing with suppressed rage. T_T
jen3572005 chapter 24 . 2/1/2011
I'm so sad after finishing this story. I've gotta go read a nice happy fluffy story just to cheer myself up. Wonderfully written, and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout but still depressing. Great job, u can really inspire a wide range of emotions from your reader.
Emilx311 chapter 23 . 1/5/2011
T_T I'm surprised I'm not crying right now. So sad, but in someways its nice to read a sad fic. every once in a while. immaculate quality as always :)
Monsieur Opera Ghost chapter 24 . 7/4/2010
Very engrossing story... about MY personal life. Ahem. I have posted my response to this outrage in my entry entitled "Dear Lucifer Rosemaunt". I eagerly await your reply.

Your obedient servant,

O.G.
Haru Kinome chapter 15 . 1/16/2010
This is my favorite chapter out of the entire story (besides the spectacular ending, of course). You managed to hit 3 out of 4 of my kinks: boys cuddling, lovesickPining!Raoul, and an uke wearing his seme's clothing. Then in the next chapter you got number 4, which is protectivePossessive!Erik. Both of those chapters left me wandering around dazed in a haze of elated blissfulness, a smile on my face and my eyes unseeing as I replayed those wonderful scenes over and over again in my head...

And then I walked straight into a door. A closed door. I was so captivated I forgot that the order goes 'open door, enter building', not the other way around. Aiyaa, it's really scary what your writing can do to my brain. It's even scarier that I don't really regret it. Thank you for writing so brilliantly, and for sharing it so I can enjoy these brief moments of happiness _
Haru Kinome chapter 24 . 1/16/2010
Good: That was... wow. Wow. I think I may have fallen a bit in love. The way Erik and Raoul's situations, actions and thoughts were paralleled throughout the story, and their characterizations under such despairing circumstances, was brilliant. I can't think of an adequate way to describe it, but I'm referring to lines like "He had been born into his position", which is from AMFAO but the trend continues here and it's such a wonderful technique that you employed in a truly impressive manner. The way their lives come together and intersect, and the way that causes everything to completely fall apart is riveting. But, ultimately, Erik and Raoul not the same, and the lines "Your chains held you down... Mine held me up" (Ch. 23) completely broke my heart, which was already about to burst from all of the other amazing little details packed into this story that colored it so wonderfully dark. You gave Erik the strength to stand on his own two legs and move forward, while Raoul was a lifeless breaking puppet held up only by frayed strings. And when those strings were cut, he could do nothing but fall... right off the opera house roof.

And the ending... the ending was /perfect/. That final scene where Erik and Raoul were finally together after struggling for so long, those fleeting moments full of fluff where they were happy, the sweetness of the few kisses they were allowed to share; all of these and more made Raoul's death all the more brutally bittersweet. And I'm so infatuated with the idea of a happy ending turned tragic. As much as I love happy endings, the reality is that life is not a Cinderella romance; it's unfair and full of sorrow and heartbreak. So thank you, thank you thank you thank you so incredibly much for expressing that in the ending, and for not stopping at the last fluffy scene. There's not a single cell in my heart that isn't filled with adoration.

Bad: While I do like the way each chapter takes turns telling the same events from both Erik and Raoul's POVs, it seemed a little weird to me for the pattern to go introspective, introspective, suddenly noticing that the other person moved, introspective. I understand that it's necessary to keep track of where the action is relative to the previous chapters, but it seems a little weird for someone to be thinking and then abruptly note things like that. Ah, but I can't think of a suitable technique that would accomplish the same purpose, so I guess I have no right to criticize.

Also, fiancé is masculine; fiancée is feminine. So, saying that 'Christine is Raoul's fiancé' means that Christine spontaneously had a sex change in the middle of the story. As hilarious as the thought is (she'd be like Ranma without needing water), I don't think that's quite what you were going for :3

Misc: I feel a bit guilty for saying this, but I'm actually kinda hoping that there's not a sequel to this fic. The unhappy ending was so wonderful, and I'm afraid that the harsh shock of Raoul's death might be softened if I know in the back of my mind that eventually there /will/ be a happy ending for him. I think I'd rather drown in the tragedy and sorrow that accompanies the dark tones of this story. Ah, but if you do write a sequel, of course I will eagerly read it. Any Erik/Raoul story you write is definitely something I wouldn't want to miss, and this fic really reinforced that.
Erik 3's Raoul chapter 23 . 10/9/2009
Aw but i love raoul :'(
Erik 3's Raoul chapter 24 . 10/9/2009
WAIT SO is Raoul dead?
taedium chapter 23 . 9/21/2009
Oh gods! I can honestly say that I hate you for this fic. (No worries though, I still love you for about about a dozen others.)

When I saw the character death warning I was practically praying you would kill Phillipe, but as soon as you said I wouldn't like the ending, I just knew you were going to do something terrible.

I can't believe you made Erik go on with life too! He had FINALLY gotten what he wanted most and Raoul had to go and do that! As soon Erik saw him on the ledge I knew it too. Of course I tried desperately to stop myself from finishing the story. I was pitifully unsuccessful. :(

*sigh*

I'm done being mad now.

I did cry though, in case you were wondering. Not right when it happened, but when Erik was lying on the roof begging for it to be a dream. I always cry when the characters break down like that. It totally sucked. In the best way possible, of course.

Sorry for the rambling review, I had to vent it somewhere and I figured that since you were the one that caused it I'd vent it all on you. *weak smile* I'll be okay eventually.

(only one fic has ever made me feel so down besides this one. congratulations! lol)
Oreal770 chapter 24 . 9/11/2009
sob...

:O

i cant believe you killed him.

them.

so sad

after everything, and finally, then...

sob...
The Crazed Artist chapter 24 . 2/28/2009
On one hand I was so sorely saddened that Raoul died in the end (I was actually throwing a tiny hissy fit at my desk) but I really enjoyed the story, thank you.
CuzHot chapter 24 . 11/29/2008
This story... made me UNBELIEVABLY happy. Like, you have NO idea how much I loved this story. AND EVERYTHING WORKED SO WELL! I actually couldn't stop myself from playing the songs during the parts they were sung. You are an AMAZING writer, like, no joke, the amount of thought you put into this must have been torture but it was beautiful all the same This is probably one of the best fanfictions I've ever read! _ AMAZING job
Oracle Oci chapter 24 . 10/7/2008
lol i should have been suspicious reading an "angst/drama" story but your style and chara insight was just too interesting to pass :D very enjoyable story up until the part raoul is released from the phantom's lair and all goes to worst, i seriously was not expecting the end...

(don't ask me how i could have possibly missed the chara death warning! was much too enthusiastic in spending the night reading this)

Still that last fight and the 5-seconds-of-happiness where awesome X3