Reviews for Misguided Affections
Depressed Chibi chapter 6 . 7/1/2012
This story is just so cute and wonderful, even if Drizzt seems a bit out of character and Catti-brie seems like a bitch. STILL this story is lovely! Everything turned out so well in the end and everyone seemed so lighthearted about it. 3

I just adore the pairing, Wulfgar/Drizzt definitely needs more love.
Yulandia chapter 6 . 2/4/2011
This was a fun little story. Kinda reminds me of modern pre-teen romance - confusion abounds! You set out to create an unlikely pairing and made it work. Everyone is going through the motions of doing what they think they "ought" to do, and nobody doing what they want to do (til the end of course). Thank goodness for Regis.

It got me thinking though (as your stories often do) about the importance of cultural rites of passage - like participating in, obseving or even just reflecting on the life changes of others marked by ritualistic significance (like marriage or a coming of age ceremony). Here you have young Cattie-brie who is trying to be the best dwarf, Wulfgar who thankfully seems to realize he's not a dwarf and just wants to be a good person, and Drizzt who is trying to be what everyone expects of him, but he doesn't know what that is or how to do it. With such a cultural mish-mash, it's no wonder this dwarven "family" is so totally confused - even "dad" (I count Drizzt as one of the "kids"). Without the rites of passage, cultural expectations might never be explained, and thus reflected upon... and you get a clueless Cattie-brie! :)
Reinamarie Seregon chapter 4 . 1/22/2009
U intending for Wulfgar xDrizzt? bwahahaha. i personally pref Drizztx Catti. quite comical, that Drizzt acts confused and speaks in riddles all the time. in the books, the dark elf is more frank than humans, so acting like this is quite ooc for him. but i like it.
Tally chapter 4 . 1/1/2009
What the hell is with the way Catty-brie talks? She doesn't talk that way in the books I've read.
Nuitari Aquarius chapter 1 . 6/29/2007

Wulfgar in love with Drizzt?

What the...?

That's pretty curious indeed... But I love Drizzt's behaviour. You describe him perfectly!
Lola Witherbottoms chapter 6 . 3/23/2007
Can I say again, I love you! Such an odd pairing, but you do make it work. And I love how Drizzt is in this fic...he's never so...flippant in the books. Awesome job—you rock like awesomeness. _
Linndechir chapter 6 . 3/23/2007
I have to admit that I didnt read the first chapters of this story when you posted them, because I dont like Wulfgar very much, and I cant stand Catti-Brie. Fortunately, I changed my mind, telling myself that I loved your other stories and that it was rather unlikely I wouldnt like this one. Well, I like it. ;)

Especially Wulfgar is perfectly in character, I like the way you describe his confusion, his uncertainty ... ;) And Drizzt really reminded me of the Drizzt in the first novels, even though I think he was a bit too naive in some scenes. But maybe I just pictured Drizzt differently when I read the books. Oh, and I really liked Bruenor in this chapter. ;) I would have expected him to be less tolerant, but at the same time, his reaction in this chapter doesnt seem absurd to me either.

Altogether, its a nice story, well written (well, all of your stories are well written), mostly in character, and Im happy I finally decided to read it. ;) I like it less than your other stories, but thats just because I prefer Entreri and Jarlaxle to Drizzt and friends.
akatsuki-NIN-itachi chapter 5 . 3/21/2007
I love it! it was very good!
Rhya Storm chapter 5 . 3/15/2007

Ah, that was cleansing. Once again, a fabulously composed chapter of ... just about everything I love about Forgotten Realms! I can't say thank you enough. So just enjoy it.

One thing I must mention before all else: Drizzt is nuts. Happily, inanely, loveably, but still completely *nuts*. (There is a reason Bruenor calls him "that durned crazy elf", after all.) In the spew of bad RAS works I had more-or-less recently ingested, I had completely forgotten this. You have reminded me of my single most favorite thing about Drizzt's character. Thank you. No, wait ... THANK YOU.

More things that I love: I love Wulfgar's slow realizations of the truth of his relationships with Catti-brie and Drizzt. I love Regis' role in the whole thing - the poor guy is so underestimated and discriminated, and he's a really great character that everyone seems to forget about. I love Catti-brie's unhappiness and realization about what she had been about to do, and that you are not making her a bitchy, horrible monster just for the sake of having a convenient villain to vent at. I love the water fight. And the fact that Wulfgar snores. I agree - it must be true. That guy is *totally* an open-mouther.

And, about your reply to my last review - EGADS! You are right! (Yes, being the geek I am, I immediately went and checked.) And, being me, I started thinking what a shame it was, and was hit by inspiration. It was very heavy and gave me a headache for two days, but it was worth it! I actually have a vague-ish idea for an Artemis romance/redemption sorta thing with a female character. (Proving, once again, that slash writers CAN WRITE HET!) She's ... hard to describe. Anyway, I was wondering if you'd like to check her out, if you've got the time on your hands, and maybe even help me out with the creative process? (I can almost guarantee you'll like her.) I don't know when I'll actually get started on the story, what with having five others and all ... *moans*. But, it's a very interesting concept, and a nice challenge, to create a meaningful relationship between these two without it being crappy, corny, or completely about the romance. No fic should be completely about the romance/sap/fluff. There should be other elements, other issues to deal with. Yup.

Holy crap, that was a long paragraph. Anyway, I better leave before I start randomly talking in Spanish ... I take my language classes way too seriously ... see ya!

~Rhya, who loves you to the depths of her soul. No, really, go look ... I swear that's not a cliff ...
Lola Witherbottoms chapter 5 . 3/14/2007
Yay! I love you! Very happy...Drizzt and Wulfgar make a very cute couple.
Lola Witherbottoms chapter 4 . 3/12/2007
So...will there be more? I hope so. This is so good, and I really want to know what you're going to do with Wulfgar and Drizzt as a pairing or a potential pairing. Please, more...I beg.
Rhya Storm chapter 4 . 2/19/2007
Oh, thank /heavens/! You UPDATED! I'm so happy, I think I could cry! Did you know, there are about /five/ or so fics out there with Wulfgar as a main-ish character? FIVE! Out of over four-hundred-something! And you're the only one who writes him well! I know this because, after reading your story about five times through (I laugh every time), I was very much in the mood for some Wulfgar fics, something that has never happened before. I figured, hey, Drizzt and Wulfgar are friends, right? There should be some nice friendship fics out there, right?

I was so very, very wrong. And this made me very, very upset.

Also, I was starving for some decent Drizzt fanfic, which I couldn't find, either! You capture the side of him that I absolutely adore - the happy-go-lucky elf we all fell in love with in the Icewind Dale trilogy - and I can find no one else who captures it half as well as you can. All this thwarting can really depress a person, you know?

Anyway, enough about me, more about your newest chapter! It is nice and long, which makes me very happy, and you really kept up with your brilliant portrayals of both of these oft-maligned characters. And Catti-brie, I am pleased to see, is neither a Mary-Sue nor some horrendous demon from the pit of Hell. She is just Catti-brie, flaws and all. So many authors bash on her just because ... well, honestly, I'm not sure why. I'm not always fond of her, but I've never hated her.

Wulfgar is still his semi-resigned, confused little barbarian self - I love the attitude he takes toward the confounding situations he finds himself in. Another thing I love about this story, by the way, is the way that you veer so completely away from the whole "I am barbarian - hear me roar" stereotype that so many - including RAS himself - fall victim to. I mean, that's what the whole canon story really started out with (the breaking of stereotypes, I mean) - a girl can be a dwarf, a drow can be a ranger, a halfling can be clever and resourceful, a barbarian can be ... whatever he wants to be! Right? A conundrum that seems to have poor Wulfgar confounded, as he really isn't sure just /what/ he wants to be, by the look of things. And Drizzt, of course, being the ultimate anti-stereotype, is just smiling happily throughout the whole thing, letting Wulfgar bumble on towards what conclusions he knows he will reach eventually.

Have I mentioned how much I love this story? Because I /really/, /really/ do.

So ... what's gonna happen next? What is Regis' discussion with Catti-brie going to be like? (I love him, too - he's such a good friend when he needs to be.) Did Bruenor mean he'd support Wulfgar if he wound up with Drizzt, or was he only thinking that Wulfgar was having second thoughts about the wedding? Will Wulfgar ever be able to produce proof that he really /is/ right? Will Drizzt master the subtle arts of meditation-induced telekinesis and be found floating above his bed humming "Om"? (Honestly, at this point, I don't think Wulfgar would be too surprised it this actually happened ...) I MUST KNOW!

-Rhya (Who is, literally, hanging off the edge of her seat. Above a swimming pool of piranhas. Yes - piranhas.)
Mocking Laughter chapter 1 . 2/18/2007
This is very funny, almost too funny. While I was reading it, I had to close it to keep my family from thinking I'm psychotic.

-Mocking Laughter
Rhya Storm chapter 3 . 1/29/2007
*cackles wildly* You're absolutely right, there -are- many bizarre pairings in here, and this is a perfect one to add to the batch! I particularly love your portrayal of Wulfgar and Drizzt - I understand that it's supposed to be comedic and humourous, but I still think you do a wonderful job of capturing the characters I knew and loved before Salvatore went in and massacred their essences until there was nothing left. *sulks* A well-written Wulfgar in particular is murderous to find, but you do it wonderfully. I love the naivete and childish stubbornness of his nature, and the way you captured Drizzt ... heh, I swear, when I read that line "he seemed vacant, which may have been the meditation" I read "medication" instead, and even after I realized my mistake, it cracked me up! You give him a happy, innocent, almost Buddha-like sense that I very much adore. I realize that this is probably a fic created for no other reason than your own boredom and most likely isn't very high on your priority list, but I am asking you for the sake of all who are good-Wulfgar and good-Drizzt deprived: more? Please?

Luvies, Rhya.
Lessiehanamoray chapter 3 . 10/8/2006
Aw, Wulfgar's so innocent and confused. Wait, that's most of the time. Oh well, this was very cute and I can see why everyone would be confused.