Reviews for Red
SPNReadingManiac chapter 1 . 12/31/2015
This is so tightly filled, with mind-bending description, razor-keen characterisation and a depth of information, filled with authoritative sureness, it's like being dumped there - all the theres - presto! chango! I'm living in it. Can't wait to keep reading!
SPN Mum chapter 10 . 12/30/2015
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards Review - December

To start, I'd like to say that I will never look at the Big Bad Wolf the same way ever again. The fact that Sam and Dean solve many cases with monsters based on folklore does not even cover what Sam had to do this time. Seeing as how Sam was the one to name the beast, it was only fitting that he be the one to take it down too. I really liked the way you built up to the granny, Eileen, being the one to help Sam discover that he knew what the monster was, and that he knew how to save Dean and Ruby, and kill the monster. I could very clearly see how difficult it was for Dean, each time he had to deal with the wolf, in all of it's forms. The switches between the past two times Dean dealt with the wolf, and the present, were done very smoothly.

I felt like I was watching a Supernatural movie while I read this story, as it stayed true to the characters of Sam and Dean, and their relationship at this time. Bringing out how much Sam was just as much of a protector of Dean, now that he was old enough and strong enough, as Dean was of Sam was done with subtlety, instead of being blatant. I found myself rooting for all of the people on the mountain, because they were brought to life and I cared, so that I wanted them to make it out of this experience alive. I was happy that Ruby had Dean in that awful limbo with her, and that she was just as emotionally strong as I first thought. You did a great job of bringing all of the characters together, even when circumstances kept them apart.

Nicely done story, with great attention to detail, which showed a good amount of research and care was put forth by you.
MeAzrael chapter 10 . 12/23/2015
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Award

You’ve got me hooked right away with your story. The plot, the images and characters you created, the way you wove those three timelines so perfectly well into a complex drama way beyond the simple hunt of a monster – that was a beautiful piece of art for me.

Each character you created is distinctive and fully drawn – Tanya for example, or Eileen, I liked them from the start and that feeling grew with every line.

You have a sense for the details that made this novel most vivid and real. And a perfect way of creating images that stay in your head. Like with that creepy Marlboro Man who was like a sound – a howl. Loved that (and too many other examples to count).

That must’ve been a hell of a research, and it paid off, in my opinion. The tough and rough world of tree logging and planting – their camps, the differences between them – I could see it all clearly in my mind. And that instinctive terror Ludovic is causing – gave me the creeps.

You put the lore about the bad big wolf on a whole new level – scarier and more intense than ever. Thank you so much for the ride – it was a pleasure.

Merry Christmas

Kate
BlackIceWitch chapter 10 . 12/10/2015
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards : December 2015

With masterful skill, through flashback and Dean’s fear, Sam’s oblivion and the dark moodiness of visceral description, this story opened like a hand around the throat, digging in and refusing to let go. Superb first chapter and such promise of what’s to come.

Characterisation is impeccable, both for the show characters and the OCs. Each and every one is developed, fully realised, their histories, thoughts, opinions and actions borne out individually, their voices their own. The depth of connection between the characters and reader is effortless, an intimacy too rarely found and so completely addictive when it’s present.

Each chapter builds on the next with an inevitability that is the hallmark of incredible writing. The reader never knows what’s coming, only that when it does, it had to come, there was no other possible path for the story to go, no other possible decisions for the characters to make. Each chapter brings information in scenes filled with action, showing it all, and along with that, bringing more questions, important questions – essential questions. Must go on. Must go on. Must go on, like the beat of a train over its tracks, that imperative can’t be questioned. There’s no “I’m too tired to keep reading” or “This’ll wait for tomorrow” … only … MUST go ON!

Drama without melodrama; tension screwed up to breaking point; threads twisted tighter and tighter together. All of that and more, throughout characterisation that never falters, that just gets deeper and deeper. Stories told this well linger in the soul, defying age and attitude.

To be nakedly honest, the relief on seeing the characters, sprung intact from the show like soldiers grown from dragon’s teeth, was immense. There are so few writers who even remembered Sam’s love for Jessica; or that Dean needs to talk but can’t, needs to protect and flays himself for being unable to. Here they are themselves, far more visible, more accessible, facing what the show couldn’t have shown in a million years, but always, always in their own skins, completely consistent, so recognisable you could have written the entire thing without naming them and there would be no mistake made.

In every instance, the characters sharing this story with Dean and Sam were completely memorable, in and of themselves, and served to remind any would-be writer and any constant reader that without the author’s keen observation, life lived, people loved and watched and mulled over and dissected, no story can hope to feel like living a real life. It’s not just in the way another might see our heroes, but how they see themselves and how they live themselves. No one not fascinated by people – of every kind, every walk of life, inclination, declination and personal circumstance – will ever make a decent writer.

Your dues are all paid and then some, so you can bring back anyone you like. An exceptionally good circle of closure on all counts, the release of that particular guilt being the best thing since the salmon burger. Thank you very much for an enthralling entry into the Winchester life, not just a story but being there with them, living through the pain and horror with them, understanding so much more by the end. I couldn’t ask for more.
LeeMarieJack chapter 3 . 8/7/2015
These mountains can eat you alive. There's monsters in those trees. Even the trees are out to get you. Mind your back and watch where you put your feet.
LeeMarieJack chapter 2 . 8/6/2015
Ah yes, the ever deft hand of the John Winchester school od child care. Wo9nderful.
LeeMarieJack chapter 1 . 8/5/2015
I do like the way you've set up your story. You have made the landscape come alive. You've also made Sam and especially Dean and his secrets, come alive. Nice work.
Freya922 chapter 10 . 7/18/2015
This was a freakin' masterpiece - compelling, terrifying, beautifully written. Bravo. I mean it. Your take on the old tale was inspired, and the way you wove it with the boys' story - perfection. Incredible characterizations, too. Thank you so much.
Freya922 chapter 7 . 7/16/2015
Jesus! What happens when Dean falls from that stump...! And younger Dean in the phone booth talking to Padtor Jim after... Ee gods, you're killing me. (In a good way.)
Freya922 chapter 5 . 7/15/2015
My heart is in my throat - you are downright terrifying me. And when Dean heard his mom's voice in that car...sob.
Freya922 chapter 4 . 7/15/2015
Oh my freakin' God, you are killing me here. This creature, Lukovic or whoever, is terrifying, and the boys' straits when John disappeared are heartbreaking. Love the setting; you provide such rich detail regarding the Pacific Northwest, the logging, etc. Your writing is gorgeous, btw, so evocative.
Freya922 chapter 2 . 7/14/2015
You are tearing my heart to bloody ribbons with this version of 13 year old Dean and 18 year old Dean. Sam and Dean in that awful garage, and that creepy predator guy fixing on Dean...? Biting my nails.
Freya922 chapter 1 . 7/14/2015
CornishGirl rec'd this fic and I can already see she was right: it's wonderful. Heading off to read the next chapter!
dri-dri93 chapter 10 . 2/15/2015
My mind is twisted up in little bitty corkscrews. So Ludovic-Lukas-whatthefuckever was the Big Bad Wolf? I feel like I missed something huge. Because that sounds like a fairy tale kind of thing - wait a minute. The summary. Grimm fairy tales.
...
Well blow me down and call me Granny, I'm an idiot. Anyway!

I seriously loved this. The inter-weaved storytelling, moving between timelines, all with some sort of bearing on the plot at that specific moment ... masterful. Also, your descriptions of the truck and the loggers' driving had me giggling every. single. time. No lie.
Also, Sam and Dean. In general. Just ... an amazing portrayal of their relationship.
CornishGirl chapter 10 . 1/24/2015
This is such a superbly-written story. I've now read it three times, and discover new nuances with each reading. So much said within the lines, but also between them. You are gifted.
250 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »