Reviews for Cutting Them Down
ishmaranara chapter 1 . 10/13/2008
I found this interesting little piece in someone's favorites, and I enjoyed it. Much more serious than I anticipated, you made this into a serious discussion between two very different political atmosphere originated characters. Paul is so the glory of expansion foiling Kenshin's horror's of war. Odd how two such different parts could come to the same trouble. Good job with the odd folklore like setting.
TrisakAminawn chapter 1 . 9/26/2008
Actually, that history was wrong; Paul is [a piece of propaganda] from a different logging boom after the whole country was settled, but...I didn't know that.
HeadingNorth chapter 1 . 1/22/2008
O.O I thought it would be a bit outlandish (despite your reasurances), but thought I might read it anyway. How wrong I was. Great story.
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 1/27/2007
I like the dreamy quality of this. Two strangers meeting with unique talents meeting in an isolated spot. It feels like a fable.
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 1/26/2007
Either I've gone insane or ffdotnet has. I know I read and reviewed this story days ago, but my review seems to have been eaten!

Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed this story. The idea was so original! The two styles, Paul Bunyan's epic nature, and Kenshin's diminutive sadness, meshed beautifully. I'd never really thought of those two having much in common, but you connected their plights very well. Both lived in eras that were (to use a literary cliche - mucho apologies to Margaret Mitchell) gone with the wind.

Very nicely done.
Warg chapter 1 . 1/26/2007
Weird.. dosen't do it justice.. unique more like it.

This was pointed out by a friend who read and loved it. I had to be tutored in american myth a little before I could go ahead and take a look.. but it was worth it.. all the way.

What an amazing little piece.. somber and with a sense of trying to catch ones breath.. maybe i'm not being very clear.. but i'll say i loved it.

The parallels and the little misunderstandings.. and lines like “I left my blades behind, too."

and

“Time moves on without you.”

“You just have to flow along with it.”

“You think?”

“Or you can hide in the empty spaces where it hardly moves.”

will, as my friend put it, stay with me for a while.

Simple and telling and beutiful.. Thanks for the amazing read.

Rambie chapter 1 . 1/23/2007
Interesting o.o It's nice to see a crossover-type thing like this that isn't eccentric and "random" - that got old real fast for me. This is nice and down to earth. :3 Even though it's a tad depressing.
gure chapter 1 . 1/19/2007
Wow. I LOVED this! Truly, I thought this was going to be some cracked-out piece, and was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be insightful and touching and so very different.

It didn't matter that Paul and Kenshin weren't talking about about the same thing; at least not literally. They meant the same thing, and that's what counts.

The talk of tiredness and time...so fitting.

I also liked the conversational, story-telling style. It sounded just as you said, as though you were telling the story to someone. Nicely done.
Draconic Ban-Sidhe chapter 1 . 11/16/2006
Weird? I wouldn't say that - I'd say it's more 'Mwahaha. This is awesome!' Certainly original. I love the irony of the 'blades,' as well. Makes a lot of sense, and they're really not that dissimilar where it counts, either. And as for the time travel...I've heard far weirder things with less explanation. It's a place where time slows down. Lots of things happen at crossroads.
emptyword chapter 1 . 10/11/2006
Wow. Written a bit like a children's story, but many times, it's the children's story that really packs a punch. Both Kenshin and Paul's stories are very well told here. The first paragraph and the ending dialogue were excellent.

" "We were running out. They don't need me now. So without Babe..."

"Your wife?" "

On one hand, Paul's story of urban development and technological boom is captured in "We were running out. They don't need me now." On the other hand, Kenshin's story begins there, with "They don't need me now. So without [my wife]..." Heartwrenching, both. The overlap and flow is amazing. ...Now I've just got to dig up who Bunyan -is-. I -know- I've read about him in US History before...somewhere...
benign intent chapter 1 . 10/3/2006
...that was just...*offers hug* surprising and poignant. Told in the manner of the tall tales I hold dear: grandiose understatement. I'd quote my favorite lines, but it's so well-condensed and whole I'd quote its entirety. I sat my younger sister down to read it, too. *chuckles* She was greatly incredulous when she saw the summary (Paul Bunyan? With Kenshin?)but you won her over.

I said I wouldn't be quoting, but... to "hide in the empty spaces where it[time] hardly moves" will linger attractively in my consciousness.

Thank you for posting this unique piece.
wiffenfeifer chapter 1 . 9/27/2006
Simply beautiful. Succinct, and expressive. I really admire your ability to tell a story - saying no more and no less than is called for.
ChildlikeEmpress chapter 1 . 9/26/2006
I really liked this. Paul bunyan was one of my favorite tall-tales as a kid, that and the dude who's girlfriend got stuck on the moon, but anways: I really enjoyed your story, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't cheesy in the slightest. Very good fic, I applaud you. It flowed very well.
sueb262 chapter 1 . 9/25/2006
i was stunned by the beauty and poignancy of this small piece. seeing kenshin through not only another person's eyes, but through the eyes of a different culture makes all the more heartbreaking "I left my blades behind, too", and "You just have to flow along with it." my heart very nearly didn't make it past "Or you can hide in the empty spaces where it hardly moves"-this one hit far too close to home for me.

the ways in which these two are similar, the ways in which they are profoundly different-the ways in which they understood each other and the ways in which they completely missed each other-this all gave such depth to their conversation. it sort of made a kind of empty emotional cave surrounding them, in which their words rang all the more clear because of the emptiness and the containing walls.

in particularly liked the idea that Paul, the ultimate "man of the earth", would "bide here a while", in this land so full of trees and water and flowing time.

this one will stay with me a while, i can tell, echoing in my head and in my heart and in my internal landscape where kenshin lives forever.
Sir Gawain of Camelot chapter 1 . 9/25/2006
Ok, Nee-chan, I'd love to hear the story of where this came from. Brilliant, but strange. I love the misunderstanding of 'cutting down a hundred'

How does Paul know Japanese? ;p