Reviews for Helping Hands
twasadark chapter 1 . 2/21/2007
Cute story! I like how you portray Sam's injury, slowly progressing. I also like how the story was short and sweet, not long, drawn out and unnecessarily angsty.
Rebel Goddess chapter 1 . 1/18/2007
I want to be an extreme Boy (er, Girl) Scout. Lovely story. That was very funny.
Freefall chapter 1 . 1/16/2007
You write such great stories
Rinne chapter 1 . 1/8/2007
I really do like the humour you put into your fics.

And Dean watching mythbusters is perfect.
mustangsgoroar chapter 1 . 12/29/2006
How did I miss this story? Hm...oh well,

THIS WAS AMAZING! You really captured the brothers' characters so well! I'm jealous of your writing talent!

I went through and read the reviews before I wrote mine, and Carikube's review says it all! You have this amazing ability to convey a message without saying anything. And you set the mood so well with the mention of 'tree after tree after tree' and the crow above them. Very well done. And all through the story you put these little smart comments, the "mcgriddles" and the pets comments ah they were great!

You really made me laugh with the boy scout. The whole "battle" of smart comebacks was great! The kid truly was a mini Dean with that whole "no I'm a girl scout" comment! Priceless! And I love the part where Dean said "well your the one who's pissind in poison ivy". That was SO Dean! I can actually see him saying something like that!

Alas, I could go on forever about this story. This was truly an amazing piece and I loved reading it! I will probably read it over and over again! It was so good! Words cannot describe how awesome this was! Kudos to you!

gaelicspirit chapter 1 . 11/20/2006
Very cute. I loved every minute. Especially the dialogue. It was so them. Thanks for writing.
Alachai chapter 1 . 10/15/2006
This is adorable! With the banter between the brothers and the scout with poison ivy...
Tyranusfan chapter 1 . 10/10/2006
Great story! Very entertaining!

The part about the poison ivy was funny, too!

I, for one, think they would have been good boy scouts. Maybe if John had come up with merit badges for that stuff, Sam would have enjoyed it more. :)
LaurenWinchester chapter 1 . 10/9/2006
I loved it! What with all of the angsty fics that've been floating around since the new episodes have aired, this has really made my day!

Fave parts:

“Can my wife make McGriddles?”

Sam rolled his eyes. “Yes. That’s specifically why you married her, in fact.”

“The ones on Sesame Street?”

Sam stared at him.

Dean shrugged and raised an eyebrow. “I mean, I don’t know. Sure.”

Silver Kitten chapter 1 . 10/8/2006
Oh my, God. This was absolutely hilarious, and a little bit scary (poor Sam, wasn't sure what would happen to him!), but filled with SO much brotherly love. I loved this so much, and after being submersed in very dark stories lately after the season premier (which I still love and enjoy, but I needed a light break), this was just what I needed. I'm only sorry I didn't get to it sooner.

So many of my favorite lines were quoted already...but this one section really had me going:

“What about pets? I don’t like cats and I don’t want some slobbery fur-ball of a dog.”

They continued on their way, shuffling through the leaves exactly how they’d been taught NOT to do. “Fine, you can have one of those short haired dogs, one of those grey ones with short tails you see on TV all the time.”

“The ones on Sesame Street?”

Sam stared at him.

Dean shrugged and raised an eyebrow. “I mean, I don’t know. Sure.”Behind them, a branch snapped. Dean spun, one hand snatching the gun from the waistband of his jeans as he shoved Sam behind him with the other.
buffgirl73 chapter 1 . 10/8/2006
Loved it as usual, you got the humour and the drama down to a T!
JazzyIrish chapter 1 . 10/6/2006
Well I have to tell you, I found myself laughing at the boys - great dialogue! I could really picture this scenerio on SN - lost somewhere and throwing barbs at one another. So Sam and Dean. And a little angst thrown in - all the better. The boy scout stuff was hilarious.

I'm off to check out your other works. Thanks for sharing your talent with us.
KatieLB chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
Some how I missed this little gem... really good little one shot.. you know i could ask for another chapter LOL... good job
rozzy07 chapter 1 . 10/3/2006
Perfect one shot. The brothers lost in the woods, Sam whumped, without a directional aide between them other than their rather basic understanding of the rising and the setting of the sun. (And they are still not sure which entrance, East or West, they parked metallicar!) So it was a good job the scouts were at hand to faciliate a rescue and feed them non-poisonous cold water fish (!)with oatmeal and candy pieces. And yes I can see the boys as uber-boy scouts terrorising all things natual and unnatural in their quest to attain badge and merit perfection! All in all utterly delicious from start to finish.
Carikube chapter 1 . 10/1/2006
I can read and re-read this story and it makes me hurt, laugh, wince and feel an overwhelming sense of things being ‘right’ each and every time. Stories like this are special, they encapsulate all that I love about the series and they allow me to take a moment away from the darker arc that I adore, but that makes me feel so sad.

There is so much to love about this. Aside from the boys being in the woods. You know I LOVE that!

** “Well- Ow! Back off. Well in my book, that makes you the expert.”

You do so much with dialogue. I don’t know how you do it – but you do it! This right here is one example. Dean tried to touch Sam. I get a full mental image and you’ve described nothing. Incredible! Pure show don’t tell, right there!

** Sam squirmed against the throbbing in his bicep. The long jagged cuts bled slowly, the warm dark blood cementing the shredded fabric to his shredded flesh. It looked ugly and would take a while to heal, and probably attract a lot of attention in the meantime. He looked like he had gone a round with a rabid lion.

Ungh! Love it! This is excellent. Now I can SEE how Sam is hurt. Bravo!

** A crow laughed at them from its perch overhead.

Again, this captures mood, environment and hitches up the tension in one simple yet evocative sentence.

** Sam fought for breath, wrapping his arms around his stomach. Sweat soaked his shirt and it clung to him like a sheet of ice.

** Darkness cloaked them long ago, smothering them in a thick, blinding blackness. A deafening symphony of crickets echoed all around, disorienting and amplifying their solitude. Even the moon had abandoned them.

This is pure poetry. Did I say that before? If not, I’m saying it now. Again, you capture much more than just the visual. You give the reader a full sensory experience and it evokes a personal emotional response. I feel as though I’m right there beside them, with them, feeling their exhaustion, the slow creep of panic and the frustration.

** Sam burrowed against the tree, curling into a ball.

** “Jesus,” Dean murmured. “We gotta get you outta here. Can you stand up?”

Another line that says so much – gives me an immediate visual image of both boys and sucker punches me that Sam really is hurt bad. I bow to you!

** They continued on their way, shuffling through the leaves exactly how they’d been taught NOT to do.

Did I mention this before? I adore this. Again, says so much with so few words and gives me a reminder of the context of their hunting, their lives. Subtle, but enough to catch my breath.

** “The ones on Sesame Street?”

Oh my, I missed this first time round. Poor Dean, he really needs to think before he speaks! LOL!

** More branches rustled, more twigs snapped. Dean took a step back, keeping his body firmly between Sam and the noise.

Protective Dean. Swoon!

** Sam shook his head. He was fairly sure he could play dead now, however.

** The boy looked at Dean. “No, I’m a girl scout.”

Love it! The kid is mini-Dean!

** Dean gestured to the bush behind the boy. “You’re the one pissing in a clump of poison ivy.”

Oh yeah, big-Dean wins the contest hands down! LOL

** Dean coughed awkwardly. “So which way is the parking lot?”

Correction, mini-Dean takes the prize! LOL. Oh gosh, I didn’t realize how much I needed to re-read this until I began re-reading it.

** Cold liquid ran over the hot, tender skin on Sam’s arm and he jerked, clenching his jaw. The worst was still to come.

Oh girl, I FELT this. Poor Sam. Poor Dean for having to do it. Crying now.

** “Stop,” he yelped, jerking away. “I can’t.”

Consider me a big squishy puddle of goo right now.

** Dean started again and a tear trickled down Sam’s face. “Hurts,” he whispered.

Squish, whimper, squelch.

Extreme Boy Scouts! Oh girl, I don’t know how you do it, but you do it! Never stop. Please promise me that. No matter what Kripke does, don’t ever stop writing these. They keep me sane.
82 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »