Reviews for Helping Hands
Carikube chapter 1 . 10/1/2006
I can read and re-read this story and it makes me hurt, laugh, wince and feel an overwhelming sense of things being ‘right’ each and every time. Stories like this are special, they encapsulate all that I love about the series and they allow me to take a moment away from the darker arc that I adore, but that makes me feel so sad.

There is so much to love about this. Aside from the boys being in the woods. You know I LOVE that!

** “Well- Ow! Back off. Well in my book, that makes you the expert.”

You do so much with dialogue. I don’t know how you do it – but you do it! This right here is one example. Dean tried to touch Sam. I get a full mental image and you’ve described nothing. Incredible! Pure show don’t tell, right there!

** Sam squirmed against the throbbing in his bicep. The long jagged cuts bled slowly, the warm dark blood cementing the shredded fabric to his shredded flesh. It looked ugly and would take a while to heal, and probably attract a lot of attention in the meantime. He looked like he had gone a round with a rabid lion.

Ungh! Love it! This is excellent. Now I can SEE how Sam is hurt. Bravo!

** A crow laughed at them from its perch overhead.

Again, this captures mood, environment and hitches up the tension in one simple yet evocative sentence.

** Sam fought for breath, wrapping his arms around his stomach. Sweat soaked his shirt and it clung to him like a sheet of ice.

Gurgle!

** Darkness cloaked them long ago, smothering them in a thick, blinding blackness. A deafening symphony of crickets echoed all around, disorienting and amplifying their solitude. Even the moon had abandoned them.

This is pure poetry. Did I say that before? If not, I’m saying it now. Again, you capture much more than just the visual. You give the reader a full sensory experience and it evokes a personal emotional response. I feel as though I’m right there beside them, with them, feeling their exhaustion, the slow creep of panic and the frustration.

** Sam burrowed against the tree, curling into a ball.

Whimper!

** “Jesus,” Dean murmured. “We gotta get you outta here. Can you stand up?”

Another line that says so much – gives me an immediate visual image of both boys and sucker punches me that Sam really is hurt bad. I bow to you!

** They continued on their way, shuffling through the leaves exactly how they’d been taught NOT to do.

Did I mention this before? I adore this. Again, says so much with so few words and gives me a reminder of the context of their hunting, their lives. Subtle, but enough to catch my breath.

** “The ones on Sesame Street?”

Oh my, I missed this first time round. Poor Dean, he really needs to think before he speaks! LOL!

** More branches rustled, more twigs snapped. Dean took a step back, keeping his body firmly between Sam and the noise.

Protective Dean. Swoon!

** Sam shook his head. He was fairly sure he could play dead now, however.

Whimper.

** The boy looked at Dean. “No, I’m a girl scout.”

Love it! The kid is mini-Dean!

** Dean gestured to the bush behind the boy. “You’re the one pissing in a clump of poison ivy.”

Oh yeah, big-Dean wins the contest hands down! LOL

** Dean coughed awkwardly. “So which way is the parking lot?”

Correction, mini-Dean takes the prize! LOL. Oh gosh, I didn’t realize how much I needed to re-read this until I began re-reading it.

** Cold liquid ran over the hot, tender skin on Sam’s arm and he jerked, clenching his jaw. The worst was still to come.

Oh girl, I FELT this. Poor Sam. Poor Dean for having to do it. Crying now.

** “Stop,” he yelped, jerking away. “I can’t.”

Consider me a big squishy puddle of goo right now.

** Dean started again and a tear trickled down Sam’s face. “Hurts,” he whispered.

Squish, whimper, squelch.

Extreme Boy Scouts! Oh girl, I don’t know how you do it, but you do it! Never stop. Please promise me that. No matter what Kripke does, don’t ever stop writing these. They keep me sane.
Ridley C. James chapter 1 . 10/1/2006
Oh wow,

I think this is my favorite one shot you've done. It's awesome. I loved the whole set-up. Then there were the lines about the McGriddle, and my absolute favorite...'Does my wife make great McGriddles?' And then Sam's reply. Genius dialogue as usual. I can tell you enjoyed doing this story. You made it look so easy. It flowed so well. I loved the h/c that you do so perfectly, keeping Dean so real,and yet so big brotherish. Thank you for sharing this. I can only say this was wonderful to come home to.

Ridley
chocolate rules chapter 1 . 10/1/2006
lol. cute.

That's it ;)
Windyfontaine chapter 1 . 9/30/2006
Great as always. Hmm, I keep starting my reviews for your stories like that, don't I? Lol. It's true though. You started this with Sam hurt right off the bat, no messing around. I like that. :D The extreme boy scouts-lol! Oh yeah, and Mythbusters? Watching it now. I love that show :) I hope you got to see the ep where they recreated the JATO with a Chevy Impala, that was classic. For some reason the title made me think the 'helping hands' were actually an evil zombie when I first started reading, but your way made a lot more sense. Oatmeal with candy dinosaurs-now that is cool :) And the bit of angst with blood at the end, followed by a bit of humor-you are the master. Will look forward to your next story. Have a great day :)
LoveJeter chapter 1 . 9/30/2006
Great fic. I love the part when they were talkin bout McGriddles. OMG ROFL Good thing they ran into the boys scouts otherwise they woulda been wandering forever. HAHA
IMTheresa chapter 1 . 9/30/2006
I love the banter. I can totally see Dean talking about anything he could think of to keep Sam's mind off his injury.
EagleGirl6 chapter 1 . 9/30/2006
That was great! I love how you put so much effort into the scenery, and desciptions; it gives the story so much depth.

This is really good:

This line was awesome! I could totally picture Dean's body movement in this (that's one of the many things I find compelling in JA's portrayal of Dean - his body movements, not just facial stuff):

Dean spun, one hand snatching the gun from the waistband of his jeans as he shoved Sam behind him with the other. He stood like a rock, the gun aimed before them with unwavering confidence.

I could go on and on, but let me just say that I really enjoy reading your work, thank you very much!

Kelly
SilverKitsune1 chapter 1 . 9/29/2006
“Can my wife make McGriddles?”

ROFL! Oh lord Dean you crack me up.

You know, I always think motel bedspreads smell like cigarett smoke too, so I loved that Sam smelled it when he flopped down. This was a great peek into a day in the life of the boys.
Kaewi chapter 1 . 9/29/2006
Great story :) I'm glad Amy gave you the bunny, because that always leads to amazing stories from you. You guys definitely have a great partnership going! Thanks for sharing it.
Oldach's Dream chapter 1 . 9/29/2006
Hi there. Just wanted to drop you a little line to say how great this one-shot was. I know you posted it a while ago, but I haven't been on the sight much lately.

When I first read the summary, I knew you were gonna do something unpredictable with the plot, so I just had to read it, to try to guess what was gonna happen before it did. But I'm so tired, that my only thought was that the crow was gonna start talking to them. (that idea actually stems from a news story about some campers tripped out on drugs - but I won't go there)So when you had Boy Scouts jump out from behind the bush to piss in posion ivy... I was throughly entertained. I would say LMAO, but I think that phrase is highly overused in our technology driven, micro chip, robotic world. Plus my friend says it in her head instead of actually laughing...

And I love how Dean just keeps talking to keep Sam's mind of the pain, and I love Mythbusters. all around, this just rocks.
Susan82 chapter 1 . 9/29/2006
I always get excited when I see one of your oneshots on the site. As usual, you went above par. As a Sam-girl, anytime we get injured Sam and protective Dean, it just makes my day. It's also fun seeing Sam get in a few good lines at Dean's expense. Great job!
Nana56 chapter 1 . 9/29/2006
Very cute! Great job!
onemediumdrip chapter 1 . 9/28/2006
lol I love Mythbusters! That's an amazing show! Is that an actual episode? If so, I haven't seen it... now I'm intrigued... )
stealthyone chapter 1 . 9/28/2006
Good story. :) I liked the banter and the h/c. And I loved Dean continually trying to distract Sam from the pain with inane rambling.

Favorite lines:

Dean ran a hand over his head and faced Sam again. “Can’t you like, have a vision of us finding the car?”

*snickers*

“You can’t live off fast food forever. Don’t you want to settle down and eat breakfast in your own house, with a family of your own?”

“Can my wife make McGriddles?”

*g* Oh, Dean. You’re just so cute.

Behind them, a branch snapped. Dean spun, one hand snatching the gun from the waistband of his jeans as he shoved Sam behind him with the other.

Ooh, protective!Dean! So sexy.

“Our Scout Leader says that you should play dead when a bear comes. Did you play dead?”

Sam shook his head. He was fairly sure he could play dead now, however.

*winces* Poor Sam. He so needs some TLC.

Sam relaxed. Park rangers were good. Park rangers could help them find the Impala. Then they could drive to the hotel and he could sleep for the next 72 hours.

There, there, Sam. You’re almost home free. *pets him*

“But water- if you fall the same distance into water, all your limbs get ripped off. It was really cool.”

Eew. Of course Dean would think that’s cool.

“I mean, we could’ve had our own badges for setting werewolf traps, burning graves, all that stuff. We could have been the Extreme Boy Scouts.”

LOL! Yeah, they would have made interesting Boy Scouts.

Thanks for a good read.
melja chapter 1 . 9/28/2006
Hi- loved this short story- it was great! I'm looking forward to more of your stories.

Mel